Oxygen Sensors... - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 40570
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2006 Ford Taurus SE
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
mikeluscher159 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to mikeluscher159 Send a message via Skype™ to mikeluscher159
Default Oxygen Sensors...

Hi, Happy general holidays + New years to all.

The car in the signature after sitting for more then a year and having some exhaust work, has intermittently been throwing oxygen sensor codes, Now this was a while ago so I dont precisley remember the codes, but i do have a Bluetooth obd2 reader and the "torque app" and have been getting some conflicting codes/info. Also does anyone know where a exhaust system diagram of all the gaskets/flexpipes/where the o2 sensors are?

Yes i know i should not be rushing into o2 sensors, so a general tune up after 35k miles is going first
-plugs
-wires
-check for the 5th+ time for vacuum leaks

Here's the codes

P2196- o2 signal stuck rich bank1 sensor 1
P2198- o2 signal stuck rich bank2 sensor 1
P0306- Misfire within first 1k of revs

And using the test monitor function of tourque

Bank 1/2/4 sensor 4 heater circuit malfunction
Bank 1 sensor 3 is totally dead- i assume this is sensor 3 of 4? pre cat?
Bank 2 sensor 3 , also totally dead.

It also idles poorly and doesnt start well.

I know this is all a shade vague as to why this car doesn't want to idle right, and is also down on fuel economy, but a idea of what o2 sensors are where and where there connectors are would help me actually test them with a multimeter and avoid parts throwing. I am too poor for that

Yes, its a Vulcan
Yes, trans fluid and coolant are overdue
Yes, I checked MULTIPLE times for vacuum leaks.

End of the most typing i have done in weeks. -Mike
mikeluscher159 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

Oxygen sensors are used to sense the fuel:air mixture in the exhaust so the car will run properly. There are four O2 sensors on your car (two for each cylinder bank). The first one is right after the cylinders in the exhaust manifold (the upstream sensor-1) and there is another sensor right after the first catalytic convertor (the downstream sensor-2). The downstream sensors are used to monitor the condition of the catalytic convertor to make sure it's working.

There is no bank 1 sensor 3 or bank 2 sensor 3. That could just be an unused parameter on your scan tool.

Vacuum leaks will cause lean codes. You have rich codes so either the sensors aren't working, you're getting too much fuel, or your MAF isn't working.

Since you have multiple heater circuit codes, make sure you check the O2 heater fuse (#28 15A) under the hood.

Since you also had exhaust work done, it's possible they damaged the O2 sensors or the wiring going to them (never let exhaust hang by the O2 sensor wires), did not plug them in, or plugged them in the wrong place. The green connectors should go to the upstream O2 sensors before the catalytic convertors and the blue connectors are for the downstream sensors.

If you can post a graph of all four O2 sensor voltages at idle and and while driving I can take a look at the data for you. In the meantime check all the wiring carefully.

behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member Number: 20425
qman has a little shameless behaviour in the past

O2 sensors look like spark plugs with wires coming off of them. You will have one before and after each catalytic converter.

O2 sensors typically last 100Kmi (in my experience) and when I start getting O2 sensor codes it has been a sensor problem, not something else.

Think about what these things do. Their tips sit in hot exhaust gasses all the time your engine is running and sense the amount of O2 in the exhaust so that the computer knows how much fuel to send in. If they don't work right, your air/fuel mixture isn't gonna be right and your car isn't gonna run right.

If you don't want to drop the dough on all of them start with the one giving you a problem. The sensors closest to the intake manifolds typically go first. Makes sense too. They get the freshest hot exhaust. Replace that one and then see what happens. Then the next and so on. Did the first two on my 98 and a couple weeks later started getting codes for the after-cat sensors. Replaced them and everything is fine now. Had to do this at about 100Kmi. The car is at 175 now.
qman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 51650
Drives: 2004 SEL Vulcan
Rogerm60 is an unknown quantity at this point

Use the reader to check the MAF and ECT output, those would be the main reasons for running rich.
Of course you may just have sticking injectors.
Rogerm60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to mikeluscher159 Send a message via Skype™ to mikeluscher159

Sensor Readings Photos by mikeluscher159 | Photobucket

This is what i could manage to obtain from the scanner, At idle.
I am going to keep checking for vacuum leaks and a new set of plugs are on the agenda.
If an o2 sensor is the problem, i need to figure out which one to obtain from ford, as there is 3 different part #'s according to RockAuto. I think ones for flex fuel and the other 2 are the same its just the wiring is a different length?

The Specs
MC 5w-20 with MC FL-400S
Michelin Primacy MXV4's
To Do:
New Speakers all round. Mach RCU
Rear Anti roll bar
Re-build Driver's front door
Power+Heated+Puddle Mirrors
Pass footwell Water leak
Squeaks & Rattles
Old 01-04-2013, 01:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the stuff you posted there is just meaningless data. The graph was the only one that was meaningful to me. So it looks like your bank 1 sensor 1 is working. Now post the graph of the other three sensors so I can check those.

If you look at the description of the sensors, the first one is a downstream sensor and the last two are upstream sensors. The difference between them is the length of the wire as you can see.

Can you look at the Mode $06 Test Id $53 misfire counters and post a picture of those?
Old 01-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Got the new sensor graphs

o2 readings Photos by mikeluscher159 | Photobucket

Sorry for taking so long to get back.

The Specs
MC 5w-20 with MC FL-400S
Michelin Primacy MXV4's
To Do:
Rear Anti roll bar
Pass footwell Water leak
Squeaks & Rattles
Old 01-07-2013, 05:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

They all look good except perhaps bank 2 sensor 2. It could be because you're catalytic convertor is going bad or because the sensor is going bad.

Does the car still run rough and are you getting misfire codes still?
Old 01-07-2013, 08:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yes, not particularly misfire codes now just,
-P0316, so its not starting right cold, if none of my problems fix that, there is a tsb for a pcm reflash.
-Plugs/Wires/UIM Gaskets.
Then which oxygen sensor is it? rockauto has 3 motorcraft o2 sensor part #s

The Specs
MC 5w-20 with MC FL-400S
Michelin Primacy MXV4's
To Do:
Rear Anti roll bar
Pass footwell Water leak
Squeaks & Rattles
Old 01-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Yes, you may have to have the PCM reflash performed from TSB 06-10-2.

B2S2 is a downstream sensor, so it would be the first one listed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement