Engine overheating Please help!!!! - Page 4 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 07:00 AM   #31 (permalink)

Member Number: 23280
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
lismarmis has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJC View Post
Be prepared for bad news...
Im trying to think positive... maybe new therm is just bad.. water pump bad... or belts bad.. also thinking water pump is beginning to fail since this car is a 2002 with 216,000 miles on it.. I have never changed it yet and not sure about previous owner... I do know though engine was totally rebuilt at 167,000 miles( I also know drive belt has some cracks in it) so maybe the one for the water pump is too)

Last edited by lismarmis; 01-03-2013 at 08:42 AM.
lismarmis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 05:44 PM   #32 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 25751
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: (2) 2001 Taurus and 2006 Taurus
Automender12345 is a glorious beacon of lightAutomender12345 is a glorious beacon of light

Why was it rebuilt at 167k miles. That is low for a 3.0 engine unless it was a head gasket. All my 3.0s make it easy over 200K actually never had to rebuild one.
Automender12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:17 AM   #33 (permalink)

Default Overheating update

Quote:
Originally Posted by lismarmis View Post
Im trying to think positive... maybe new therm is just bad.. water pump bad... or belts bad.. also thinking water pump is beginning to fail since this car is a 2002 with 216,000 miles on it.. I have never changed it yet and not sure about previous owner... I do know though engine was totally rebuilt at 167,000 miles( I also know drive belt has some cracks in it) so maybe the one for the water pump is too)
So told my mechanic to check my water pump and belt.. Belt was fine pump was fine... He then took the belt off and the belt adjuster was shot!! My water pump belt was slipping.. which heated up and melted the plastic ribbing on the pully..

So finally almost $800 later car is running beautiful again.. Makes me wonder though if I really needed those damn radiator hoses 1st garage replaced! :/
Old 01-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #34 (permalink)
WJC
Devoted Member

Member Number: 16719
WJC has a spectacular aura about

Congrats, glad it wasn't a big problem. Funny how belts can slip sometimes and not make noise.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #35 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 7489
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: '90 Taurus GL Wagon 3.0L; '65 Rambler Ambassador 990 convertible
Lgbpop has a brilliant futureLgbpop has a brilliant futureLgbpop has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by lismarmis View Post

So finally almost $800 later car is running beautiful again.. Makes me wonder though if I really needed those damn radiator hoses 1st garage replaced! :/
My heart goes out to ya, it's things such as those that convinced me learning about auto repair was not beneath my dignity...and also convinced me that our government's insistence that we all be college-educated is largely a waste of time. Fixing stuff is where the money is. People who know how to fix stuff are smarter than college professors, too. Professors may be more intelligent, but repair people are smarter. (Dad explained the difference to me, years ago. According to him, I'm more intelligent than Sheldon Cooper but not as smart as Goober Pyle.) I should explain...in Dad's words, intelligence is what God gave you to work with; smart or stupid is what you do with your intelligence.

Think of it this way - hoses degrade, and yours would have needed replacement someday. At least you weren't sold new head gaskets and a transmission rebuild.

Someday, some hairy big-eared little alien is gonna steal that from me.

Last edited by Lgbpop; 01-06-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Lgbpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:58 AM   #36 (permalink)

Angry Car occasionaly overheating!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automender12345 View Post
Please make sure the recovery cap is tight real tight. There was just a person in Texas on the forum had intermittent over heating problems and it was the cap. It was an aftermarket cap it it caused days worth of frustration.
Ok so we replaced all the hoses in Dec.. new water pump belt, tensoion adjuster had melted, another thermostat, new water pump, and had heater core flushed..car was running ok till recently.. Now Im getting occasional overheating at idle traffic lights and up hill highest its gone was white lined.

After mechanic did the water pump and thermostat yesterday car temp stayed mid range but when I had parked it was steaming antifreeze out of my resivour..
Also had it pressure tested and leak tested!!

Im wondering maybe could it just be the damn resivour cap???!!
Old 07-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #37 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 53701
Drives: 1997 Ford Taurus SHO 3.4L DOHC V8
Sable476 has a spectacular aura about

Starting to sound like a clogged radiator.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
June 2013 COTM Winner

Sable476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #38 (permalink)
Play Nice or Don't Play

Member Number: 55506
Drives: Only Fords
jag1959 has a reputation beyond reputejag1959 has a reputation beyond reputejag1959 has a reputation beyond reputejag1959 has a reputation beyond reputejag1959 has a reputation beyond repute

Read through thread, sounds like a real adventure. With all that's been done I am with Sable476. It might not seem like a partially clogged radiator could be responsible but it matches some of my experiences with one. It can be a maddeningly inconsistent issue.
jag1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement