Scan tool/Fuel trims - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 08:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ben
I Drive A Fuze

Member Number: 40467
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2004 SEL Duratec
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 1 reviews
Ben is a name known to allBen is a name known to all
Default Scan tool/Fuel trims

OK so I got my OBDLink SX today and I'm going to read my fuel trims and whatnot...but how do I do this/interpret them? What values should I be looking for, Max Min Mean etc? Should I do it while cruising or at idle or?

Using OBDwiz.

2012 Fusion Sport, 48k miles, White Platinum Tri-coat. Every option except nav. 28% tint, Diode Dynamics LEDs, Steeda CAI, Steeda 93 octane SCT Tune

[SOLD]2004 SEL Premium, 72,700 miles, Vibrant White. 35% Tint, K&N Panel filter, Remote Start, 4x Infinity Reference 6832cf, JVC KW-R800BT, Rockford Fosgate 501bd, Bazooka BT1014

The Toy
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 Vert, White, T5, built motor/driveline, race suspension, fast/loud as f*ck
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 09:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 11378
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Jeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond repute

LTFT should be +/- 5% ideally and certainly under +/- 10%, and should be similar for both banks under all driving conditions. LTFT and STFT on each bank at any instant should add up to roughly zero. LTFT values change slowly and STFT values jump around pretty fast. Depending on PCM calibration, LTFT over +20% or so will set a 171/174 code and over -20% or so will set a 172/175 code. Over +/-25 to 30% will set O2 stuck lean or stuck rich codes.
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
02 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
Jeff K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 09:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ben
I Drive A Fuze

Ok. So should I press record for the data, then turn the car on, let it idle for a minute, then drive around a bit?

2012 Fusion Sport, 48k miles, White Platinum Tri-coat. Every option except nav. 28% tint, Diode Dynamics LEDs, Steeda CAI, Steeda 93 octane SCT Tune

[SOLD]2004 SEL Premium, 72,700 miles, Vibrant White. 35% Tint, K&N Panel filter, Remote Start, 4x Infinity Reference 6832cf, JVC KW-R800BT, Rockford Fosgate 501bd, Bazooka BT1014

The Toy
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 Vert, White, T5, built motor/driveline, race suspension, fast/loud as f*ck
Old 12-11-2012, 09:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Member Number: 49890
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2008 Mercury Sable Premier
Trader Score: 8 reviews
Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

Correct. Then playback the data, as long as you know when it's idling and when it's not idling.

2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2012 Kia Soul Base AT 1.6GDI
2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Moved On: 2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 09:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ben
I Drive A Fuze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeves002 View Post
Correct. Then playback the data, as long as you know when it's idling and when it's not idling.
I'll tell it to record speed and rpm as well.

The Toy
Old 12-11-2012, 09:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

There ya go! You can almost tell when you are idling based on the trims.

2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Old 12-11-2012, 09:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

You have to have the key on for it to connect and start recording. So you can turn the key to on without starting, hit record, then start it.

The short term fuel trims will be constantly moving up and down to generate the O2 sensor lean/rich switching. The long term trims will be more stable, but will change with different operating conditions, like stepping on the gas.

Like Jeff said, ideally you want to see 5% trims. To get the total fuel trim, you have to add the short term number to the long term number. So if the long term is +7% and the short term is -3%, the total fuel trim is +4%. If the short trim numbers are moving around a lot try to average them.
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

I already told you this in chat.... but I'll write it here! Thanks to behlinla for some of this help and info!!

First, watch trims at idle - you're looking for them to be between -5% to +5% just like Jeff said above. You are looking that they don't go outside of that much during any driving.

If you see the LTFT much higher than that, then you have a probable vacuum leak. If it's super high (+10 to +25%), especially on both banks, then it's most likely a vacuum leak!

Of course record all that and both banks....

Okay, to test the O2 sensors functioning correctly do this test (thanks behlinla):
Find an empty stretch of road, or somewhere you can do this.... idle for 60 seconds and drive normally around 40mph. We're watching that the O2 sensors are switching correctly. They should be moving from around .1v to around .8v at least every 2 seconds, ideally at least ever second.

Next stop the car, then go ahead and go WOT all the way through first gear. The trims may drop out to very low numbers for a second, but all 4 O2 sensors should jump up to .9v or so the entire time through WOT. This means that the correct amount of fuel is being dumped into the motor at WOT. The duratec really likes to dump a lot of fuel at WOT. This also shows the O2 sensors are working correctly, the switching is really what you need, but this shows how much fuel you're burning by doing this

2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Old 12-11-2012, 09:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ben
I Drive A Fuze

I will do this tomorrow morning, thanks to Sam, behlinla, and Jeff! Good info here

The Toy
Old 12-12-2012, 12:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 3136
Drives: 1998 LX black Vulcan 1997 SE black Vulcan
soundu is on a distinguished road

What are fuel trims all about?

generally, if there below double digits there in the ball park.
When you see over 10% trims, or one bank radically different from the
other, its time to investigate further.
Bob Urz 1989 Vulcan wagon (wife crashed) 1990 Vulcan sedan (sold running) 1993 Vulcan sedan (wife crashed) 1993 Vulcan wagon (beat up like Battlestar Galactica, drove to junkyard on a sad day) 1997 Vulcan sedan (down with multiple coolant leaks), 1998 Vulcan sedan (rescued from being junked twice with broken brake lines and bad rack, currently resurrected)

If Spock drove a Taurus it would be a Vulcan
soundu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.