Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Remote keyless entry fails in cold weather

4K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  sadffffff 
#1 ·
I've got a 2001 Taurus SES 3.0L and the keyless entry fob has begun giving me trouble.

On cold mornings (say around 20F) the fob will only work inches from the car, if its even colder (like 0F) the fob doesnt work at all outside the car. Once I unlock with the key and get inside, it works again, albeit somewhat unresponsivly where I have to hold the buttons for a while. After I drive to work, when the car has warmed up, the keyless works from very far away again, and same for warm days.

The keyfob is, of course, in the house with me, so I doubt theres any issues with that. There must be a radio in the car thats started to go bad. Anyone have ideas of where to start? Thanks

#2 ·
Welcome to TCCA.
When last was the FOB battery replaced????

#3 ·
Thanks for the welcome

The battery has probably never been replaced. I had thought about that briefly when I was trying to come up with solutions, but since the FOB was always warm I dismissed that and blamed the car. Batteries are cheap, so I'll give it a shot and post back. Thanks again

#5 ·
OK, so if its no better with a new FOB battery, is the vehicle battery near or at a full soc???? If so, how are the vehicle battery to engine & body ground connections?

#7 ·
pawpaw- I installed a new vehicle battery about 9 months ago connections are all fairly clean, within reason.

Mystery- I'm thinking the same, failing joint or componant in that radio for the FOB. If its in teh GEM/easy to get at, I might take it out and poke around at it.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.