Very High Idle at Start-up - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 51340
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2000 Ford Taurus SE 3.0L Flex Fuel Engine
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Mtown10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Very High Idle at Start-up

Hello everyone, I have a 2000 taurus with the flex fuel engine in it, and when I start it up cold, it will idle at around the 2000 rpm range for 20 seconds or so, and then slowly go back down to around 900 rpm. I know that a high idle at start up is normal, but I thought the 2000 rpm seemed a bit excessive. If it helps, the secondary air injection pump is giving me a code, which leads me to believe that it isn't turning on at all during start up. The code is p1414, any help would be greatly appreciated, I just want to know if an idle that high is out of the ordinary, or if there is something else that is causing it to do so. Thanks!
Mtown10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

When the engine is cold, the engine will hit 2000 RPM right after starting. In a few seconds it should be down to about 1200-1500 RPM, and then down to normal idle speed in about 30 seconds. When the engine is completely warmed up the idle speed should be about 700 RPM. So it doesn't sound like the cold idle speed is that bad.

P1414 - Secondary Air Injection System Monitor Circuit High

The secondary air injection system monitor circuit is high, indicating the electrical AIR pump is on although the electrical AIR pump was commanded off by the PCM.

Possible causes:
  • Open AIR monitor circuit from the pump.
  • AIR circuit short to power.
  • Damaged solid state relay.
  • Open AIR pump ground.
  • Damaged AIR pump.
  • Damaged PCM.

So the first thing I would do is try to see if the air pump is running or not. You can pull an air hose off and feel, or listen for the pump noise with a stick. If the pump is not running, then you might have a bad ground.

Are there any other codes?
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ok that's good to know, not that something is wrong with it and it is going unnoticed. There aren't any more codes for it, but I do have another question. If the pump only runs during start up, does that mean I can only try to see if it is running during that period? Or is there another way to feed it power and get it to run otherwise? Also, I live in Wisconsin and have heard that these pumps often freeze up due to the elements during winter and the colder months, and the fact that the pump itself is mounted so low on the car. Is this common on tauruses in the northern states? Thanks again for your help!
Old 12-10-2012, 10:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the idea with secondary air injection is to inject more oxygen to get the exhaust to combust more completely and heat up the catalytic convertors while the engine is cold. It is not needed once the engine is warm.

It is true the air pumps can freeze from moisture getting in them in cold climates. Not very many cars in WI have air pumps, since they are usually only used in low emissions cars like you would have in CA. I will admit I haven't really come across air injection very often here, so I may not be as knowledgeable about the functional stuff.

However, you have a circuit code, which is an electrical problem (what I specialize in), so a frozen air pump would not cause the code (unless the freezing somehow damaged electrical windings in the pump). Again, basically the PCM is seeing voltage being sent to the air pump when it shouldn't be seeing it. So it will require some electrical troubleshooting to fix.

Here is the wiring diagram: http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/D...9-67ff21739dce

The air pump relay is located in the relay center box 1, which is right next to the battery. It would be the smaller relay at the bottom. It might be stuck open, so you could try swapping the relay or replacing it to see if the code goes away or changes.

If you know what you're doing, you can jump the relay and get the pump to come on with the car off to see if it's working.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Which relay do you mean for the air pump? Is it number 33 in the box to the left of the battery? I just went out and started the car and quickly removed, then replaced that relay looking to hear the click of it closing the circuit, but didn't hear anything. I tried to feel the pump itself, but it seemed like it wasn't working.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

It's in a smaller separate relay box (not the main power distribution box) with no fuses. It's on the right side of the battery I believe.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have also read on other threads that the relay for the pump is bolted right to the pump itself, is this true?
Old 12-11-2012, 02:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtown10 View Post
I have also read on other threads that the relay for the pump is bolted right to the pump itself, is this true?
According to my diagram, it is not. The relay is in the box. Other designs may use a relay at the pump (like a starter motor).
Old 12-11-2012, 03:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Alright, I'll check that one as well then and get back to you with my results in the near future. Thanks again!
Old 12-12-2012, 10:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 12182
Drives: a Taurus
danhasenauer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtown10 View Post
On G3's, it is bolted right to the air pump mounting bracket. Not sure about a G4 though.

'96 LX DOHC Moonlight Blue
Every option but the car phone
RIP 'Ol Blue - 09/2012
danhasenauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement