2000 Ford Taurus Flex Fuel smoking when the heat is turned on - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 02:06 AM   #11 (permalink)
Don't Be Stupid

Member Number: 4508
Chapter: Southern
Drives: 2010 SEL 2000 Tec
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 1 reviews
00tec-satx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeves002 View Post
You don't need to let it warm up. Check your oil level. My car has an oil leak and it smells like burning rubber - no puddles. Not sure what tec-satx is up to with the question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff K View Post
Possible AC clutch bearing failure or compressor locking up / locked up, both of which severe cause belt slip = rubber burning smell. My guess since it seemed to happen with defrost setting which runs the AC compressor.
^^That's what i was thinking.

00tec-satx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 10:46 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member Number: 49602
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2001 Taurus SES 3.0 liter V6
Trader Score: 0 reviews
horn4life is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Coolant leak?

You said it was 30 degrees might the smoking be from a leak in the heater hose? I had a problem like this with another vehicle and pin hole in water hose was culprit. I only noticed the leak on cold days, when I turned defrost or heater on. Water shot engine creating steam.

It might be the belt burning mentioned but you can check that by simply running the AC and seeing if you have the same problem not on defrost. If defrost only smoking on cold days when you run heater or defrost(heater/AC blend) then it's possibly a coolant leak. With recent water pump work I would look for leak in heater hoses.

Hose is cheaper too!

Good luck!
horn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member Number: 51573
Drives: 2000 Ford Taurus flex fuel
Jennlynn513 is an unknown quantity at this point

I"m thinking its a hose leak.... because i can hear something dripping when the car is off and whatever its dripping on is making it smoke... thanks for all the insight guys!!!

this chick really appreciates all the help!
Jennlynn513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Don't Be Stupid

Member Number: 4508
Chapter: Southern
Drives: 2010 SEL 2000 Tec
00tec-satx is on a distinguished road

Coolant leaking and burning will have a sickly sweet smell.

00tec-satx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:50 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member Number: 32282
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 2014 Taurus SHO
Mystery101 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just recently fixed a oil pan gasket on my 98 tec. It's been leaking since we got it in 07 and it started leaking ontop of the cat. I thought it was a belt or coolant (sweet + burning rubber) and left it alone for months. Defrost uses the outside vent over the cat, so during the winter months, I drove with the windows open.

This is what it looked like:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/19844487/20...2017.02.34.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/19844487/20...2016.22.49.jpg

Since the pan gasket replace, the Leak + Smell is gone..

I coulda swore the degass bottle was leaking, But taking a look around the cat quickly extinguished that theory.

Edit: When my parents owned the car, A mechanic swore up and down it was the front seal leaking(why the gasket went this long); It was obviously the gasket, because the EPA violation in my driveway no longer exists..
Although if there is visible smoke and only appears when the heat is on; That might be a different story..

Last edited by Mystery101; 12-10-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Mystery101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:02 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member Number: 51573
Drives: 2000 Ford Taurus flex fuel
Jennlynn513 is an unknown quantity at this point

OK so update.... I got the coolant over flow tank replaced yesterday and now there is still a leak somewhere...looks like its coming from under the engine somewhere leaking on an exhaust pipe maybe? IDK the car started smoking really bad when i got to a red light this morning. The car was running fine yesterday after it was replaced only a little burn off smoke at that time but there is definitely somethig else leaking under the car. Im ready to just blow this stupid car up all the money its costing me to repair this thing.
Jennlynn513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:23 AM   #17 (permalink)
I'm Watching You!

Member Number: 37681
Drives: 01 Sable Wagon Duratec
sousa632 has much to be proud ofsousa632 has much to be proud ofsousa632 has much to be proud of

Could be the timing cover leaking.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:36 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member Number: 32282
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 2014 Taurus SHO
Mystery101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennlynn513 View Post
OK so update.... I got the coolant over flow tank replaced yesterday and now there is still a leak somewhere...looks like its coming from under the engine somewhere leaking on an exhaust pipe maybe? IDK the car started smoking really bad when i got to a red light this morning. The car was running fine yesterday after it was replaced only a little burn off smoke at that time but there is definitely something else leaking under the car. Im ready to just blow this stupid car up all the money its costing me to repair this thing.
Check your fluids lately? if its smoking that bad, you would see significant loss in oil or coolant.

Do you have access to a jack + jackstands? or a ramp? Those would help determining the leak. Are there new wet spots(without a/c running) or oil spots on your driveway?
Old 12-14-2012, 10:22 AM   #19 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 11378
Jeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond repute

Timing cover, water pump, heater core hoses / bypass hose assembly are common leak points that can drip on the exhaust. Timing cover leaks basically are due to lack of timely coolant changes (owner or previous owner neglect).
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
02 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
Jeff K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:00 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member Number: 7669
Drives: 2001 SES Vulcan OHV (U)
rickpark will become famous soon enough

Smoking vs steaming are two different conditions.

In cold weather, coolant boil-off may resemble smoke but the smell should indicate whether it is smoke (rubber, oily smell) or coolant (unusual sweet smell).

If you're not sure, a local shop can check it out for you - I have in the past taken advantage of my local Ford dealer's offer of an oil change and inspection coupon. They will list issues that you can then ask for quotes to repair, take it elsewhere or DIY.
rickpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement