What is this? Quick Q. - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Member Number: 26880
Join Date: Mar 2010
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 28
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 0
aussiedave has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default What is this? Quick Q.

It's a disc shaped object about 4 inches diameter just behind and slightly below the IAC valve on my '03 Taurus. It has a plug on connection on the top which appears damaged when you pull it off - the bottom of it is busted off and it would not form a proper seal in that condition in my opinion.
ad.
aussiedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002
 
Sam's Avatar
 
Member Number: 49890
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2008 Mercury Sable Premier
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 6,090
Trader Score: 8 reviews
Rep Power: 68
Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute
Default

My guess is it is the EGR valve. Well that is the vacuum tube that makes the EGR work. You will have a check engine light saying code p0401 if it isn't working correctly. That means that the EGR valve won't open when it is supposed to.
__________________
Sam

2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2012 Kia Soul Base AT 1.6GDI
2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Moved On: 2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Member Number: 26880
Join Date: Mar 2010
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 28
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 0
aussiedave has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeves002 View Post
My guess is it is the EGR valve. Well that is the vacuum tube that makes the EGR work. You will have a check engine light saying code p0401 if it isn't working correctly. That means that the EGR valve won't open when it is supposed to.
Thanks Sam - had a sneaking suspicion it was the EGR. It's the one of the few components I have not checked or cleaned. Looks like I have a little project for the day.
ad.
aussiedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002
 
Sam's Avatar
 
Member Number: 49890
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2008 Mercury Sable Premier
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 6,090
Trader Score: 8 reviews
Rep Power: 68
Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute
Default

If you don't have a P0401 code the cable is probably fine. If it wasn't giving the proper vacuum to the EGR valve the DPFE would notice it and the PCM would set the code. So honestly you shouldn't need to do anything. If you take a picture of the hose, I can advise you if you need to replace it or not.
__________________
Sam

2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2012 Kia Soul Base AT 1.6GDI
2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Moved On: 2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Member Number: 26880
Join Date: Mar 2010
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 28
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 0
aussiedave has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeves002 View Post
If you don't have a P0401 code the cable is probably fine. If it wasn't giving the proper vacuum to the EGR valve the DPFE would notice it and the PCM would set the code. So honestly you shouldn't need to do anything. If you take a picture of the hose, I can advise you if you need to replace it or not.
The cable fits on snug enough to where it doesn't move around but I was more concerned with the EGR itself - it has some paint flaking off it and I haven't cleaned it in the 6 years I have owned it...
ad.
aussiedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002
 
Sam's Avatar
 
Member Number: 49890
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2008 Mercury Sable Premier
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 6,090
Trader Score: 8 reviews
Rep Power: 68
Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute
Default

If you aren't getting a P0401 or P0402 code it is probably okay.

It's good to clean it, no need to replace it though. Mine wasn't cleaned for 12 years and never had a problem. Finally cleaned it for the first time several months ago. Wasn't even that dirty.

Remember if you get the P0401 code it means it isn't opening enough or correctly and the flow is insufficient. If you get P0402 it means it is stuck open. The valve should be closed at idle and WOT. It should open some at all other throttle positions. The computer will decide how much it should open though.

Of course more than likely those codes are caused by a bad DPFE sensor and not the EGR valve...

Cleaning it doesn't hurt though! You should replace, or at least clean off the gaskets if you remove it to clean the valve.
__________________
Sam

2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2012 Kia Soul Base AT 1.6GDI
2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Moved On: 2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Member Number: 26880
Join Date: Mar 2010
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 28
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 0
aussiedave has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeves002 View Post
If you aren't getting a P0401 or P0402 code it is probably okay.

It's good to clean it, no need to replace it though. Mine wasn't cleaned for 12 years and never had a problem. Finally cleaned it for the first time several months ago. Wasn't even that dirty.

Remember if you get the P0401 code it means it isn't opening enough or correctly and the flow is insufficient. If you get P0402 it means it is stuck open. The valve should be closed at idle and WOT. It should open some at all other throttle positions. The computer will decide how much it should open though.

Of course more than likely those codes are caused by a bad DPFE sensor and not the EGR valve...

Cleaning it doesn't hurt though! You should replace, or at least clean off the gaskets if you remove it to clean the valve.
Will check those code numbers and see what shows.
Thanks for your time and helpful info friend - much appreciated.
ad.
aussiedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002
 
Sam's Avatar
 
Member Number: 49890
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2008 Mercury Sable Premier
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 6,090
Trader Score: 8 reviews
Rep Power: 68
Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Anytime! Always here to help.
__________________
Sam

2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2012 Kia Soul Base AT 1.6GDI
2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Moved On: 2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Member Number: 26880
Join Date: Mar 2010
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 28
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 0
aussiedave has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiedave View Post
It's a disc shaped object about 4 inches diameter just behind and slightly below the IAC valve on my '03 Taurus. It has a plug on connection on the top which appears damaged when you pull it off - the bottom of it is busted off and it would not form a proper seal in that condition in my opinion.
ad.
Frustration continues.
The car idles fine - she purrs like a cat. Just occasionally, when she has had a run, when you start her up after sitting for about an hour, she will idle a little rough, but not that bad.
The real problem is out on the road - put your foot down around 3/4 throttle, and she breaks down badly - kicks and bucks like a mule.
Just wondering if I installed the spark plug wires out of order?
ad.
aussiedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Technical Advisor
 
behlinla's Avatar
 
Member Number: 14275
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: A blue car
Visit: My Garage
Posts: 7,483
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Rep Power: 79
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Bucking at high RPM sound like a bad cam syncro if you have the OHV engine.
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2