o2 sensor replacement comment - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member Number: 50768
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2006 SEL
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
groze is an unknown quantity at this point

My model is Ford Taurus 2006 SEL 4 door. My grandfather didn't drive much. Again I am not a car person. I think I know why the mechanic reset it, the computer may reported a false positive.

Last edited by groze; 12-02-2012 at 03:47 PM.
groze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 07:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 10865
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sheila is a glorious beacon of lightsheila is a glorious beacon of light

Groze, you have the 3.0L 12v ohv Vulcan engine. That's all Ford put in 06s, the gas-only Vulcan and the ffv (flex fuel vehicle), also a Vulcan.
sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a 2006 then you have the OHV vulcan engine.

If the check engine light comes on again, then you need to fix the problem whatever it is. Ask the mechanic to write the code down for you when he reads it.

If the CEL comes on, it's safe to drive the car to the mechanic, but it's not safe to ignore the CEL. If it starts flashing then you need to pull over and shut the engine off immediately.
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #14 (permalink)

Sorry, I didn't know engines have names. I thought they went by cylinders.

behlinla

I am getting different advice even in this thread, reading the web and listening to tv news. According to soundu, you can run a Car with a bad o2 and bad Cat as long it is not clogged. My mechinac told me it was safe to drive even if it comes on, not just to him. We got this car, so we wouldn't have to put money into for awhile. I can't afford repairs ever month. We are upper low income. We are on very cheap Dial-up for online banking & family contact that is out of state.

Hmm,
Even more confusing is this page

http://www.mr2.com/TEXT/O2_Sensor.html

Quote:
Should the O2 sensor be replaced when the sensor light comes on in your car?
Probably not, but you should test it to make sure it is alive and well. This assumes that the light you see is simply an emissions service reminder light and not a failure light. A reminder light is triggered by a mileage event (20-40,000 miles usually) or something like 2000 key start cycles. EGR dash lights usually fall into the reminder category. Consult your owners manual, auto repair manual, dealer, or repair shop for help on what your light means.
Reminder light? I have no loss of power to my knowledge.

Last edited by groze; 12-01-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

I'll try to explain more.

What the article you linked to is trying to say is that you shouldn't just a replace the O2 sensors if the CEL comes on without knowing anything more about why the CEL came on. However, if you read the code and it's an O2 sensor performance code like P0133 or P0130 then you almost always end up having to replace the sensor to make the code go away. However if the code is much more generic like P0171/P0174 then you need to do more investigating before you replace the sensor. Many poorly-educated folks automatically associate lean codes with bad O2 sensors, which is almost never the correct cause. So this is why it's important to know the exact trouble code and do the correct troubleshooting before you replace an O2 sensor.

As far as driving with the CEL light on, the issue there is that you don't know if you have a serious problem or not unless you know why the CEL is on. Yes, some of the codes are very minor and you could drive around for years without a problem, but some of the codes are more critical and cause expensive damage if they are ignored for more than a few hours worth of engine operation. The other big issue is if the CEL is already on and your car develops another more serious problem, you will have no way of knowing it unless you own a scan tool and check your car for new or different codes on a regular basis. Most people that drive around with the CEL on are clueless to this, and suddenly their car starts having all kinds of problems and requires all kinds of expensive repairs. That pesky single code they had checked six months ago has suddenly morphed into six codes and they had no idea until the damage had already been done.

Now specifically in terms of O2 sensors not working, the fact is that modern cars are almost completely reliant upon the O2 sensors functioning. Yes the car will still run with a missing or poorly functioning O2 sensor, but you end up paying the price in lost performance, poor fuel economy, or with having to replace the catalytic convertors (which costs several hundred dollars or more). A new O2 sensor is only about $40, so it pays to replace it in many ways. Some people even change them as preventative maintenance at about 80-100k.

So the key to all this advice is proper information about the status of the car. In order to make an informed decision and save the most money, you need the most information. I've seen many cases where people ignore the CEL because they were afraid of the expense, but then ended up wrecking the engine and were left without transportation. I don't like to see that happen, especially when it is very preventable. You can get codes read for free, and I always provide free advice, so it just requires a little effort and info gathering on the part of the car owner to get some decent help. Once you know the situation and the risks, then you can decide how to spend your money wisely.

Again, in your situation drive the car normally for now. If the light comes back on, go get the code read and report back to us before you buy anything. If you still have to get to work, then you have to drive the car, but my main point is to not completely ignore the light for weeks or months on end without intending to have it checked out. This sounds like a car in very good condition otherwise, so I would hope it stays that way.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:41 AM   #16 (permalink)

This might be a dumb question,

Could the o2 sensors or the cat get damage if a rock is thrown up under the car? It could also be simple as a loose connection if the above is possible.

behlinla,

Thank you for the detailed info, That is what I mad about-not at you, the o2 sensor shouldn't have to be replaced, it is under 30,000 miles. My grandfather didn't drive it much & let it sit for awhile. It was a used car when my grandfather bought it as well. We had to replace the battery because he let it sit & we got an oil change-which cost us about $175.00.

Last edited by groze; 12-02-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:18 AM   #17 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

The catalysts can be damaged by physical trauma, but it would have to be a fairly large rock. Usually it happens when you have to drive over something in the road like a giant tire or go off-road. I haven't heard of an O2 sensor being damaged by a rock, but I suppose it is possible.

In your case it might be possible that the O2 sensor stopped working as well due to non-use. Perhaps if you drive the car normally to fairly hard it will heat up the sensors and get them back in shape.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:40 AM   #18 (permalink)

Anyone, is this quoted text true from a different forum? I know it is a different car. I have been using Shell gasoline. BP is out because I don't like what happened. But we do have Speedway, Swifty's and Village Pantry. Don't know where Village Pantry get it gas from, same with Swifty's. I didn't check my pipes, I will see if I can see holes.

Quote:
O2 sensors will go bad from sulphur in the gas. Shell gasoline is horrible about this. I just had to put new O2s on 2000 saturn because of shell gas.
Newer cars are more sensitive to it with the new wide band o2s, but even our cars with the old o2s still don't like the sulpher.
The sulphur once run though your engine turns to sulhuric acid (yes, battery acid) and will eat through your exhaust pipes. That's why you'll see holes in the tips of the exhaust.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:32 PM   #19 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 3136
Drives: 1998 LX black Vulcan 1997 SE black Vulcan
soundu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by groze View Post
Anyone, is this quoted text true from a different forum? I know it is a different car. I have been using Shell gasoline. BP is out because I don't like what happened. But we do have Speedway, Swifty's and Village Pantry. Don't know where Village Pantry get it gas from, same with Swifty's. I didn't check my pipes, I will see if I can see holes.
It is VERY possible to get a bad load of gas and have codes or performance
issues until you refill from another source. If the car ran bad after a fill up,
and it worked ok with no codes after the next fill up, that probably tells
you something was wrong with the gas.

You can get bad gas from ANY source. but your more likely to get bad gas
from a source that does not sell as much gas so there is less turn over
in the big tanks.

In my part of the world, most of the gas in the area comes through the
same pipe line from probably the same source.

Like i said before, if you just got this car and it sat for awhile, i would do
some preventative maintenance on it and check all the rubber hoses for
deterioration. I would do a tune up and replace the plugs and wires.
It might seem that plugs at 30K should be good, But if they ever get stuck
in the heads from sitting in one spot too long you have a BIG issue.
If the car sat for a long time, you could have had rust build up in the gas
tank that could cause issues also. I would replace the fuel filter to be safe.

Its cheaper to do a few hundred dollars of maintenance than have the car towed and be without it at a bad time.

Treat it well, and that car will run another 10 years with minimal work.
Bob Urz 1989 Vulcan wagon (wife crashed) 1990 Vulcan sedan (sold running) 1993 Vulcan sedan (wife crashed) 1993 Vulcan wagon (beat up like Battlestar Galactica, drove to junkyard on a sad day) 1997 Vulcan sedan (down with multiple coolant leaks), 1998 Vulcan sedan (rescued from being junked twice with broken brake lines and bad rack, currently resurrected)

If Spock drove a Taurus it would be a Vulcan
soundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:22 PM   #20 (permalink)

Everyone thank you for all the replies. Since the mechanic reset the warning light, will it eventually come on again if there still a problem with the same o2 sensor?

Soundu,
Should I try different gas for awhile? Speedyway get gas from Marathon. Swifty Oil & Village Pantry are unknown. I know they all come from same place, the difference is the amount of detergent used, the less the better for all fords, that's why I picked Shell. I also have E10 Gas America station (Now Speedway), forgot about that one. I wish I had an E85, I would switch to that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement