JB Weld to re-attach Vacuum Hose to Intake Manifold? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 01:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 51449
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2000 SES DOHC
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
FordGuy1990 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation JB Weld to re-attach Vacuum Hose to Intake Manifold?

I was replacing an old PCV hose on my 2000 Taurus 3.0L 24V DOHC, and when i was trying to take off the spring clamp, the pliers slipped off and slammed into a plastic nipple connecting a vacuum line to the bottom of the intake manifold. I was wondering if I could use JB Weld to re attach this hose back to the Intake Manifold.
I took the car into the local Ford dealership and they quoted me at $824 to replace the upper intake manifold to fix this and I cannot afford that right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
FordGuy1990 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 03:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you could use JB weld, but it's going to be a liability. If you glue it, you have to make sure it doesn't leak at all when you're done. You also have to worry about it breaking again when you reattach the hose. If it breaks off later you're going to have a big vacuum leak and the engine is going to run bad.

If it were me, I would just go to a junkyard and pull an intake manifold off another 2000 DOHC. You can replace the intake gaskets while you're at it. If you want to do a good glue job you should take the intake manifold off anyway, so why not just replace it?
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 04:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by behlinla View Post
Yes, you could use JB weld, but it's going to be a liability. If you glue it, you have to make sure it doesn't leak at all when you're done. You also have to worry about it breaking again when you reattach the hose. If it breaks off later you're going to have a big vacuum leak and the engine is going to run bad.

If it were me, I would just go to a junkyard and pull an intake manifold off another 2000 DOHC. You can replace the intake gaskets while you're at it. If you want to do a good glue job you should take the intake manifold off anyway, so why not just replace it?
Okay, I appreciate that! I never thought about a junkyard! And just to be clear, before I do this, the upper intake manifold is all connected (one big plastic piece) and connects to the throttle body, correct?
Also, the small rubber hose that connects to the plastic nipple on the bottom of the intake manifold (closest to throttle body) will also need changed since the other half of the broken nipple is stuck in there. Do you by chance, know the size of that hose?
Old 11-29-2012, 05:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 33869
Chapter: Pacific Northwest
Drives: 2000 Taurus SE 3.0 OHV Vulcan
Trader Score: 1 reviews
downhill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordGuy1990 View Post
Okay, I appreciate that! I never thought about a junkyard! And just to be clear, before I do this, the upper intake manifold is all connected (one big plastic piece) and connects to the throttle body, correct?
Also, the small rubber hose that connects to the plastic nipple on the bottom of the intake manifold (closest to throttle body) will also need changed since the other half of the broken nipple is stuck in there. Do you by chance, know the size of that hose?
The hose should have 1/4, 5/16, 3/8 marked on the line with white writing if you look close. The other way would be to use a tape measure to estimate the diameter. I have no clue which hose you are referring to but most are the sizes I listed. Good luck. It is an easy swap if you get a manual and become familiar with the parts and order of removal and replacement.
downhill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 08:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 7489
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: '90 Taurus GL Wagon 3.0L; '65 Rambler Ambassador 990 convertible
Lgbpop has a brilliant futureLgbpop has a brilliant futureLgbpop has a brilliant future

If the hose is still flexible and pliant (in other words, not dried out and cracked) there's an easy way to salvage it. Squeeze the end with the broken plastic nipple with a pair of pliers. Not ViseGrips, not ChannelLocks, just hand pliers. The plastic broken in the hose usually is so brittle, it will crack into smaller pieces at which time you can blow it out, or simply rap the hose against your workbench and the broken pieces will fall right out. Repeat if necessary until the hose is clear of debris. If the broken piece doesn't cooperate, a pair of tweezers or needle-nose pliers works too after crushing it with the pliers.
Lgbpop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 08:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 11378
Jeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond repute

Another option with your current manifold. Remove it, drill the broken nipple / hole to a little larger size, tap it for a brass NPT thread to barb fitting available at any hardware store, and screw in the brass fitting. Adapt the hose to the barb fitting. You can put JB Weld on the threads for extra strength. Of course, replace the gaskets. Even if they dont leak now, they eventually will assuming they are original.
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
02 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
Jeff K is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 11:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I think I'm just gonna go ahead and order the manifold and 6 gaskets and replace it all myself. No need to pay close to $400 for labor for such an easy job. Since the car still runs (it's a little shaky) and I can do the short trips I need with it, there's no need to try and rig it. Thanks again, everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.