How do I drain my coolant...? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 05:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 51065
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2002 Mercury Sable GS
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
runfrombears is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do I drain my coolant...?

2002 Sable GS Vulcan. Okay i've never worked on a car newer than 94, so this is all a bit CRAMMED...The radiator is blocked in from all directions, heck I can't even find the radiator cap. Even if there was a drain screw on the radiator I cannot seem to access it. Do I really need to remove that plastic protector under the bumper? That looks like a real pain.

Any suggestions would be most helpful
runfrombears is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 05:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Member Number: 49890
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2008 Mercury Sable Premier
Trader Score: 8 reviews
Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

There is a drain valve on the bottom of the radiator. You have to remove the plastic shield at the bottom front of the car. Something like 10 bolts. Easy to do though. You just gotta get on your back. Yes you have to remove the plastic shield though.

2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2012 Kia Soul Base AT 1.6GDI
2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Moved On: 2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec
Sam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks your right it's not hard, but it's one of those designs that make you smack your head. I do not plan to put that plastic guard back... I drained the coolant, took out my thermostat and low and behold BROWN RUST all over the thermostat. Looks like i've got some work cut out. Is it because people put in the wrong type of coolant? Why is the vulcan engine so prone to rusting in the coolant system?
Old 11-27-2012, 06:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

I would put it back if I were you. It protects those components from water and salt as well as foreign objects.

The rust in a vulcan motor is usually due to poor coolant maintenance. It can be caused by mixing coolant types. You have to flush your coolant every 30k miles. Is there rust and crap in the coolant recovery tank?

To be honest just poor design is why it is so prone to rusting, but you can prevent it by doing a coolant change every 15k miles. Some say do it more, but I'd do it ever year or 15k miles to be extra safe. Not that much money or work. Do a flush every few years and flush the heater core every two years.

If I were you I would also be doing a complete flush of the system if it hasn't been done. Use coolant flush first, then change it out for green coolant after a week and flushing with distilled water.

2004 Acura TSX 2.4

Last edited by Sam; 11-27-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 10865
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sheila is a glorious beacon of lightsheila is a glorious beacon of light

With the h2o pump removed (your other thread), you can flush through the eng. from there with a hose and nozzle.
sheila is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Member Number: 49973
Chapter: Pacific Northwest
Drives: 1999 Taurus wagon se 24v dohc 169,000 miles
glock20man can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by runfrombears View Post
Thanks your right it's not hard, but it's one of those designs that make you smack your head. I do not plan to put that plastic guard back... I drained the coolant, took out my thermostat and low and behold BROWN RUST all over the thermostat. Looks like i've got some work cut out. Is it because people put in the wrong type of coolant? Why is the vulcan engine so prone to rusting in the coolant system?
what I do to the bottom plastic piece is cut a hole just big enough so the drain plug is exposed and then anytime you want to drain the coolant you now just reach in with your fingers and unscrew the plug.
glock20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock20man View Post
what I do to the bottom plastic piece is cut a hole just big enough so the drain plug is exposed and then anytime you want to drain the coolant you now just reach in with your fingers and unscrew the plug.
Brilliant, I will do this before put it back on. (If I really get around to it) I never did put my miata's radiator fan back on, that was a year ago lol
Old 11-27-2012, 11:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Ooh yikes. Probably not a good idea to leave the fan out.... A/C won't work correctly, car could overheat when idling, etc..

2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Old 11-28-2012, 09:29 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member Number: 48743
Drives: 2003 Taurus Wagon 3.0 Liter Vulcan Autolite DP plugs Purolator Airfilter Ca
Mark Oreman is an unknown quantity at this point

Or, just saying, you could take apart that lower rad hose that connects to the radiator and the block. Coolant drain in 20 seconds...
Mark Oreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oreman View Post
Or, just saying, you could take apart that lower rad hose that connects to the radiator and the block. Coolant drain in 20 seconds...
Actually, I agree with you. That does work best for coolant drain and flush. Some people find it easier to use the drain valve in the radiator.

2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement