93 Taurus Blend Door Actuator - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 06:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 51376
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 1993 GL 3.8L
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
cgray7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 93 Taurus Blend Door Actuator

I have a 93 Taurus GL. No heat. A/C works fine. Blower is fine. Both heater hoses hot. Coolant level fine. Water pump working. Thermostat working. Engine temperature perfect. Heater core flushed. Vacuum doors all visually verified as working. Checked resistance of temperature control (this is a manual system) at about 5K ohms with center tap working fine.

I assume at this point the problem is blend door related, but I can't even find the thing, or any documentation related to it. Seen lots of postings related to Taurus with heating issues, but nothing specific to a 93 heater blend door actuator. Looked at lots of pictures and instructions for 95, 96, 98, etc. but the 93 does not look like those. Checked Oreilly and Auto Zone and the part is not listed. Nothing shown in Chiltons.

Does anyone know where the door on this 93 is, and how can I at least manually open it to let some heat in for the winter? On a car this old, I'm not about to spend hundreds of dollars to get it fixed. The help of some kind soul with this knowledge would be greatly appreciated, and would literally warm my heart
cgray7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 06:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

I think your car uses a control cable to move the temp blend door rather than an electric servo motor like the new models. Only the models with auto climate have a blend door motor. Here's what I found on it:

Removal:
  1. Remove the control assembly from the instrument panel.
  2. Disconnect the cable retainer and wire from the control assembly.
  3. Disconnect the temperature cable from the plenum temperature blend door crank arm and cable mounting bracket.

To install:
  1. Check to make sure the self-adjusting clip is at least 1 in. (25.4mm) from the end loop of the control cable.
  2. Route the cable behind the instrument panel and connect the control cable to the mounting bracket on the plenum.
  3. Install the self-adjusting clip on the temperature blend door crank arm.
  4. Snap the cable housing into place at the control assembly. Connect the "S'' bend end of the control cable to the temperature lever arm on the control assembly.
  5. Install the control assembly into the instrument panel.

The cable or the part that holds the sheath still (cable bracket) might have broken or fallen off, so make sure both ends are secure.
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 07:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

Sorry, but there is no cable on this model. I took the dash trim cover off and removed the control block already. The temperature knob is a potentiometer. I checked the resistance and found about 5K full resistance and confirmed center tap varies from 0 to full.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, the parts catalog is a little misleading. The blend door is on a vertical hinge, so the actuator is located on top of the HVAC box near the driver's side. That might end up being somewhere between the radio and the steering column under the dash. If you have everything apart and can take pictures we can probably point it out for you.

These should help:

It's #7 in this pic:
Old 11-26-2012, 11:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 41966
Drives: My brother's 1993 SHO, stick shift. Electrical has been jacked with BADLY
ctubutis has a spectacular aura about
Default Taurus HVAC docs

The first 10 pages of the heater docs from the 1993 Taurus/Sable factory service manual are in one of my PhotoBucket albums here:

Taurus HVAC docs Photos by ctubutis | Photobucket

You will have to read from the last image to the first, haven't figured out how to re-order the images how I'd like.

Hope this helps.
ctubutis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 12:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Many thanks to Behlinla and ctubutis! I had seen the illustration online but was misinterpreting the orientation, so Iwas looking on the passenger side. Between these two I think I can figure it out.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default Still stumped

OK, I thought I could figure this out but I am still stumped. Today I removed the radio and cup holder, the glove compartment, instrucment cover cluster, and the temperature control module. I still see no blend door control motor, and no place for one to be located like the pictures. I have included a couple of pictures of what I see. It is similar to the picture bahinla posted, but where the motor would be is a plastic enclosure that is part of the vent system. Di I have to remove the entire dash and take off some of the vents from the box to get ot this motor?

Thanks again for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
93 Taurus Blend Door Actuator-behind-glove-compartment.jpg   93 Taurus Blend Door Actuator-behind-radio.jpg  
Old 12-09-2012, 06:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

Drives: My brother's 1993 SHO, stick shift. Electrical has been jacked with BADLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgray7 View Post
Di I have to remove the entire dash and take off some of the vents from the box to get ot this motor?
Yes, Step 1 is to remove the instrument panel (dash). First time I did that took me ~4 hours, got it down to ~3 hours with practice in the junk yard.

I don't remember if you also need to remove the heater box but my guess is that'd make it lots easier to get to that motor. Maybe just removing the attaching bolts and pulling it out from the firewall somewhat would be enough, I don't know.

Getting the HVAC box out also took me ~4 hours on a SHO (and the A/C was even empty, no evacuating necessary), but I don't think a standard Taurus is any/much easier.

As behlinla said, it's #7 in his picture. If you're a newbie at this kind of work and are working only on weekends, I'd allocate two full weekends for the project; IIRC, a professional shop would charge for 7 hours labor to replace the A/C evaporator core.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

In the second picture, I think you can see the wires going to it in the upper left corner (looks like yellow pink and blue).

So yes, pulling the dash will be required. Not an easy project for a DIYer.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

The top-right of your first picture, the silver can with the rubber hose going to it, that's #8 in behlinla's picture:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.