Taurus not cranking/starting when it's cold - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2012, 06:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 13861
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
yeding has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Taurus not cranking/starting when it's cold

Hi All,

I have a weird problem with my Taurus. When it's cold (around 30F) outside, it wont start, not even crank, just like the battery is dead. But if I try couple times, it will crank and start all normal. Whenever it starts crank, it will start without problem. I suspect a battery problem, but I just have it changed about 10 month ago. can anyone throw in some ideas here. Thanks
yeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 07:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
N.E. Chapter Moderator

Member Number: 42443
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2005 Taurus SE FFV
Trader Score: 7 reviews
TaurusDailyDriver is a name known to allTaurusDailyDriver is a name known to all

Yes, it does sound to me like a battery issue. Visit your local autoparts store (preferably where you had it changed if it is warrantied) and get it tested. The cold is terrible on batteries.

Other things to check for. Also check your connections.. check for loose or corroded terminals.

Another thing to pay attention to is your fuel pump. Next time it is 30 degrees or less, just turn the key for a few (10-15) seconds as far as you can before starting it as to just prime the fuel pump. You'll hear it if you have no music going. This gets the fuel moving, which may be the issue if not the battery.

Just some ideas.

2011 Ford Fusion SEL 3.0L DOHC V6
2005 Ford Taurus SE 3.0L FFV OHV (The Beater)
2006 Ford Taurus SE 3.0L OHV V6 (Sold)
2005 Ford Taurus SEL 3.0L FFV OHV V6 (Sister's)
TaurusDailyDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: A blue car
Trader Score: 0 reviews
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

I agree it sounds like a battery. Try jumping it when this happens to see.

When a battery is cold and dead, attempting start the car still send current through the battery. After a few tries, this current flowing will start to warm up the plates insides the battery. Once the battery warms up a little, it has more CCA and can start the car.

If you have a multimeter I would do some battery checks (measure resting voltage, charging voltage, etc). It's also possible you have a parasitic draw that's draining the battery at night.
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement