P0171 & P0174 Mystery - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 09:55 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member Number: 18519
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
kingranch350 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

So I did the smoke test (cigar through a hose) and didn't see any smoke anywhere? So now I'm really scratching my head what else can be triggering my po174 and po171?
Here is a recap of what I've replaced...
Maf sensor
Pcv valve
Spark plugs

I'm at pep boys now and going to purchase an air filter and thermostat I'm due to replace coolant.
I'm open to any ideas and or suggestions on what else to look for and or replace?

Thanks again for all the input.

KR
kingranch350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 03:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look at the EGR tube and the DPFE hoses. I can't be sure but it looks like the hoses might be loose in one of your pictures. Also make sure the EGR valve isn't leaking around the gasket. Finally make sure your rubber intake boot doesn't have any cracks between the ridges and it on securely at both ends (run your hand under it where you can't see).
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Member Number: 49890
Drives: 2008 Mercury Sable Premier
Trader Score: 8 reviews
Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

The last step is having a shop run a smoke test for you with an actual smoke machine. Should cost between $100-150. They'll tell you exactly where your leak is. Of course if you don't have a leak, it could be you happen to have multiple clogged injectors, but do you have a misfire?

Whatchya think behlinla, could he have a clogged injector on both banks without getting a misfire code?

Oh, and OP, did you verify that you still were running rich? Did you check the fuel trims, or did you just pull the codes? Did you reset the codes after replacing the pcv valve/elbow assy? Just curious if you still actually have a problem. Sorry I didn't notice this thread earlier. Can I change the name of it for you to something like "p0171&p0174 mystery"? That would get more people responding to it as well. I won't do it without your permission though.

Could just go ahead and replace the EGR gaskets, not very hard of a job, just take the vacuum line off the top, remove the valve, new gaskets, torque the bolts to 15-22ft-lb according to alldata for a 99 vulcan. The tube that goes on to the exhaust is 26-47ft-lb (if it matter, sorry not familiar with vulcans).

2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2012 Kia Soul Base AT 1.6GDI
2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Moved On: 2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec

Last edited by Sam; 11-25-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeves002 View Post
Whatchya think behlinla, could he have a clogged injector on both banks without getting a misfire code?
That's a rare situation. An unfound vacuum leak or low fuel pressure seems more likely. So while we're on that subject, does the engine sound like it's missing or just runs a little rough? You might listen to the exhaust to make this determination.
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

You are right about both, don't know why I didn't think of the low fuel pressure right away. I'm usually the first person to say "CHECK THE FUEL PRESSURE"! Hah! You know it well too. I was re-reading and doing minor edits to the misfire guide and the last thing I read was about fuel injectors and lean codes because of clogged ones - fresh on the mind! I wrote more on the above post btw.

So if no cracks found in the boot, go ahead and check the fuel pressure. Buy an inexpensive pressure gauge from harbor freight, then you can check the pressure at the Schrader valve on the fuel rail. Should be 26-45psi with the engine running. 37-45 with key on engine off.

2004 Acura TSX 2.4

Last edited by Sam; 11-25-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:32 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by behlinla View Post
Take a look at the EGR tube and the DPFE hoses. I can't be sure but it looks like the hoses might be loose in one of your pictures. Also make sure the EGR valve isn't leaking around the gasket. Finally make sure your rubber intake boot doesn't have any cracks between the ridges and it on securely at both ends (run your hand under it where you can't see).
Hi behlinla,

I will look at the hoses to dpfe (which I just replaced from rock auto) as well as looking around the egr.

Thanks

KR
Old 11-26-2012, 12:39 PM   #17 (permalink)

Hello all,

Here is my update, just rescanned my vehicle for codes and the only one showed up was po174.
I had the code cleared to see if it would reappear?(hopefully I was ok to clear the codes)
I'm still seeing a little bit of a rough idle and the mpg isn't what it used to be (only have 70k miles on the clock).

I will read all the other posts that I missed.

This thread should renamed.

KR
Old 11-26-2012, 01:13 PM   #18 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

You were fine to clear the codes. So that means system to lean on bank 2 (front of the motor).

It's possible you have a clogged injector on one of the front cylinders. Otherwise a vacuum leak somewhere still. If your rough idle is still there, and MPG is low then the code will probably come back.

2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Old 11-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
You were fine to clear the codes. So that means system to lean on bank 2 (front of the motor).

It's possible you have a clogged injector on one of the front cylinders. Otherwise a vacuum leak somewhere still. If your rough idle is still there, and MPG is low then the code will probably come back.
I'm going to check on the front side of the motor for any vacum leaks, if I can't find my leak and it points to a clogged injector, how do I go about unclogging it?

When I can I will stop by harbor freight to pick up a cheap fuel pressure gauge.

Thanks again

KR
Old 11-26-2012, 03:49 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
The last step is having a shop run a smoke test for you with an actual smoke machine. Should cost between $100-150. They'll tell you exactly where your leak is. Of course if you don't have a leak, it could be you happen to have multiple clogged injectors, but do you have a misfire?

Oh, and OP, did you verify that you still were running rich? Did you check the fuel trims, or did you just pull the codes? Did you reset the codes after replacing the pcv valve/elbow assy? Just curious if you still actually have a problem. Sorry I didn't notice this thread earlier. Can I change the name of it for you to something like "p0171&p0174 mystery"? That would get more people responding to it as well. I won't do it without your permission though.

Could just go ahead and replace the EGR gaskets, not very hard of a job, just take the vacuum line off the top, remove the valve, new gaskets, torque the bolts to 15-22ft-lb according to alldata for a 99 vulcan. The tube that goes on to the exhaust is 26-47ft-lb (if it matter, sorry not familiar with vulcans).

Breeves,

Please change the title to po174 & po171 mystery?

Thanks again

KR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement