Sable Idles Fine But Chokes In Drive - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 12:24 AM   #11 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Member Number: 49890
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2008 Mercury Sable Premier
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 8 reviews
Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

How many miles on the current plugs? I mean it sounds like your plugs may be starting to go bad. Does it happen worse the higher the engine load. For instance, if you give it gas when it's in 4th gear around 40mph, does it hesitate and stutter?

Plugs should be double platinums, any other ones won't last nearly as long.

2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2012 Kia Soul Base AT 1.6GDI
2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Moved On: 2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 12:38 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member Number: 51294
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: I Have a 2001 Sable DOHC 3.0 with a Duratec Engine
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Dillonz01sableintoledo is an unknown quantity at this point

Well the trouble was all of a sudden not so much cumulative like fords usually roll... I have had the car for 60,000 miles and I think the dealer did a makeover pre sale... but this problem started at a flick of a switch and havent gone over 35 since it started this afternoon
Dillonz01sableintoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:52 AM   #13 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

I had it like that too. It all of the sudden started. Happened to be I needed new plugs, and then one of my coils went bad as well. Could be a vacuum leak. Read the codes, you may have pending codes on there that haven't been set yet.

If you smoke, or even if you don't, get a cigar, and do the cigar smoke test. A video on it is on that misfire thread.

2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Old 11-21-2012, 02:25 AM   #14 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

First, check if the CEL works. When you turn the key to ON it should light up. If your CEL is burned out, I would take it to have codes read to make sure you don't have any. If you get any codes, post them back here. Ignore any suggestions the parts store clerks give you.

When it "chokes" do the RPMs go down? Or does the engine just get rough? Are you running the A/C or defrost when this happens? Does temperature make any difference (warmed up vs cold idle)?

Vacuum leaks are a prime suspect, but it could also be an IAC problem.
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:28 AM   #15 (permalink)
WJC
Devoted Member

Member Number: 16719
WJC has a spectacular aura about

You can see fuel pressure on a code reader, first check to make sure that's 35-45.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:49 AM   #16 (permalink)

UPDATE... Just had codes read and no worries he didn't suggest anything to buy there lol... Check Engine Light is bad.. 5 codes came up ... p0402, p0161, p0141, p0102, p0113... Narrows it down some to items such as .. EGR Valve EGR Presure Sensor, EGR Valve Stuck Open, O2 Sensor heated o2 sensor (bank 1 sensor 2) faulty HO2S12, air intake leak ( cant be it is nice and silid)TP signal error, faulty MAF/VAF Sensor INtake Air Temo Sensor(ecm detected a high voltage condition on the IAT Sensor...

This was a brief explanation of the readings printed on the readings.. fuel pressure is good...
@ behlinla ... Chokes and hesitates at idle no load.. worse with load... little acceleration in drive chokes until car is moving then smooths out .. at a stop light I have to hold 1000rpm to keep a smooth idle in take off if I granny the accelerator I can get to speed kinda smoothly but it has no step on it to it.. I use too much gas it hesitates with no power not much of rpm loss.. just no power .. and durring the hesitation the vibration of death starts but not when I slow to accelerate...
Old 11-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #17 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 7489
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: '90 Taurus GL Wagon 3.0L; '65 Rambler Ambassador 990 convertible
Lgbpop has a brilliant futureLgbpop has a brilliant futureLgbpop has a brilliant future

I had rather the same mess a month ago. Found the source by accident; went to pull the plugs to see what they would tell me, and the clip inside the boot on #2 stayed on the plug when I pulled the sparkplug cable. I never would have known otherwise. Put on new cables (bought Motorcraft this time, not the house brand) and all is well.
Lgbpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:31 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member Number: 7909
Drives: 01 Sable GS, 3.0 Vulcan vin U, 63K
Kestas is an unknown quantity at this point

Another thing to check is a clogged fuel filter and a restricted exhaust. Both would result in loss of acceleration and loss of high-end power, such as freeway driving. The exhaust can be restricted with a broken ceramic monolith in the converter. This can be commonly found using a "kick test". If the converter rattles with this test, you have a bad converter and a restricted exhaust.
Kestas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #19 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Okie dokie, time to get some stuff done!

P0402 - EGR Flow A Excessive: Let's just fix this one right now. It is the DPFE sensor. Think about it. If the EGR was stuck open (which would cause this code), then you would notice a rough idle. Your idle is smooth, so it's probably the pressure sensor.
EDIT: I'm sorry about the P0402 code, your EGR could be stuck open. I have been reading and replying to so many misfire and rough idle threads that I forget who's symptoms are what!! You could have a stuck open EGR valve and not a bad pressure sensor.

Since you have BOTH P0102 AND P0113, to me it sounds like your MAF isn't plugged in or it is bad. Cleaning it won't help here.

Check the boot around your intake, it may be sealed wrong or have cracks in it. Do a cigar smoke test for vacuum leaks. Probably not PCV since you only have one bank lean code.

I have no idea with the O2 sensor, lets see that as a coincidence, it could be a factor in this, but I don't know how it would be. Read the O2 sensor blurb on the misfire thread. You said it was good, but what's good?

Let's test the fuel pressure too, could cause the lean code if you don't have vac leaks. Should be 35-40PSI. Should go up not down when you rev the engine.

I find it weird you have no misfire codes o_O Could simply be that stuck open EGR valve.... Test it by taking the cap off of the evr, putting your finger on it and if the engine stalls or almost stalls it is probably functioning correctly. However that MAF problem will cause rough engine problems too... so thats obviously part of the problem.

2004 Acura TSX 2.4

Last edited by Sam; 11-21-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:50 AM   #20 (permalink)

Did the finger on the evr valve and it stalled instantly, I suppose the o2 sensor would have play in this ... Bummer about a MAFS .. those cost..lol But I have an idea for one

@ Kestas... only the heat shield rattled and just had the fuel filter done 2 oil changes ago.. about 2 months estimated ..

I have new plugs and wires... got the platinum ... I will get a couple parts switch them then plugs n wires...give me a couple hours :-) I will update.. but keep the ideaa flowing I get push notifications.. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement