Power steering not working-puking fluid - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 07:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 24907
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
taurusmph has a spectacular aura about
Default Power steering not working-puking fluid

Hey everybody. I had my power steering pump off while changing the timing cover gasket because of the infamous "timing cover water leak'. Most of the power steering fluid leaked out while the pump was off and I filled it back up (with actual power steering fluid) when i re-installed it. Cranked the engine and fluid level stayed fine. Then drove it and it puked fluid out the cap all over the front of the engine. Power steering worked intermittently. Checked the fluiid level-it was not even covering the gear. Filled it back up and drove it some more. Again it puked out. Tried the wheels side to side thing. Filled it back up. Power steering basically has stopped working although fluid level seems to have stabilized. I checked some other posts on here but didn't really see a resolution. Any info would be appreciated.
taurusmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 07:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

You've got air in the system. When you turn the engine off the bubbles are no longer under pressure, expand, and push fluid out of the reservoir. You need to run the car and turn the wheels back and fourth (while keeping the reservoir full) like 50 times to get the air out. You can also vacuum bleed it. Plenty of info on this already, so just do a search.
behlinla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Member Number: 49890
Drives: 2008 Mercury Sable Premier
Trader Score: 8 reviews
Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

This has happened to SO many people recently.

Do exactly what behlinla says, I agree with him!

2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2012 Kia Soul Base AT 1.6GDI
2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Moved On: 2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec
Sam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 5295
Drives: 2005 Taurus SE 3.0L Vulcan Bought with 111,432KM in October of 2012
the_intimidator_02 has a spectacular aura about

If it were me I would lift the weight off of the front wheels while turning the wheels back and forth to bleed out the air. Also do not hold the wheel against the locks when bleeding the system. After cutting the wheels several times back and forth, shut the car down for a bit to let some air rise. Then repeat the process over again. Also as Behlinla mentioned, do not let the resevoir level drop.

Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.

The Human race is governed by it's own imagination.

Please don't steal, the government can't stand the competition.
the_intimidator_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 33869
Chapter: Pacific Northwest
Drives: 2000 Taurus SE 3.0 OHV Vulcan
Trader Score: 1 reviews
downhill is on a distinguished road

Jack up both wheels and then bleed as suggested above. Have a friend keep the pump from going dry by adding fluid as need while you are moving from stop to stop SLOWLY with your steering. Sometimes it takes two or three tries to get it quiet if you have not hurt it already.
Mercon V is the correct fluid but regular PS fluid will still work. The Mercon V does not seem to bubble as bad and is great for the seals. Ford even designed for it!
Would not waste it on this pump but if you replace it you might consider the Mercon as a choice.
My pumps in my car and truck are both quiet and no problems with the good fluid and bleeding. Just takes a few bleeding sessions on one that has a lot of air which yours had by the fluid dropping below the pump and ingesting the air. You will get it with another bleed, just take time and not whip up another batch of air.
downhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Member Number: 49890
Drives: 2008 Mercury Sable Premier
Trader Score: 8 reviews
Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

^
Use Mercon V, the pump is designed for it so says Ford. $4.50 a qt at walmart "supertech" brand. Sheila says it works fine, and I agree!

2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2012 Kia Soul Base AT 1.6GDI
2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Moved On: 2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec
Sam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 889
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 94 Taurus GL 3.8L PEP204A 99 Ranger 4.0L 4dr 5spd auto Payload & Tow pkg
pawpaw is a jewel in the rough

More power steering system fluid filtering, flush & badly areated fluid deair thoughts for consideration here.
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/1718290-post25.html

Details are trifles, but trifles make perfection & perfection is no trifle (Ben Franklin)
Our signature is a sign of a job completed, autograph your work with excellence.
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

OK...busted the return nipple off of the reservior (yeah I did that) and had to replace the whole power steering pump. Got it on and replenished the system and bled it (innumerable turns lock to lock). Everything seems to be working now, except that when turning wheels there is a very loud groan from the rack (i think). Anyone familiar with this problem?
Old 12-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 889
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 94 Taurus GL 3.8L PEP204A 99 Ranger 4.0L 4dr 5spd auto Payload & Tow pkg
pawpaw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurusmph View Post
OK...busted the return nipple off of the reservior (yeah I did that) and had to replace the whole power steering pump. Got it on and replenished the system and bled it (innumerable turns lock to lock). Everything seems to be working now, except that when turning wheels there is a very loud groan from the rack (i think). Anyone familiar with this problem?
After doing your 15-20 lock to lock steering wheel turns, how did the P/S pump reservoir fluid look????

If it was aerated/pink/frothy with lots of air bubbles, let it set to pop/clear up the bubbles in the reservoir fluid & raise wheels off the ground & do some more deair cycles until the fluid no longer shows signs of air bubbles in it, or rig the above reservoir cap vacuum suggestions to more quickly remove any entrapped air.

Details are trifles, but trifles make perfection & perfection is no trifle (Ben Franklin)
Our signature is a sign of a job completed, autograph your work with excellence.
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

Got the power steering problem resolved today. Did like you said...let it set for a couple of days and then jacked it back up and did some more turns back and forth. Seems fine now..power assist is back and groaning is gone. Hasn't puked again. I want to thank everyone for their help. In the big middle of a frustrating problem it sure does help to have this forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement