Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Re-seal windshield/replace it???

9K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  bull geek 
#1 ·
I found some water on the front driver and passenger side of the car.

I call a glass shop, telling them about a possible leaking from the front windshield, they ask me the year of the car (2002), and they say that because the kind of windshield this car use, they cannot re-seal it, but the windshield need to be replaced.

The guy on the phone told me also that it will take one hour to replace the windshield, so I can wait there while they work on the car.

I don't have experience about windshield, but honestly, I don't believe to much that the front windshield need to be replaced, also I'm not too much confident with the "one hour' job, I look online and I found that most place wait 24hrs...

The shop I call is on business from a long time.

Andy suggestion about that?

#2 ·
In my experience

All windshields can be removed and resealed , but why. We get them replaced for $150 out the door with new seals. Look on craigslist for a window guy. The job takes an hour , but it is best to let the sealant dry over night if possible. Get it done in your driveway and park it in a dry place.
Most are using Guardian glass which is made in Detroit.
The windshields cost $50-60 wholesale, the seals $10 (they are universal ) and the sealant is $10-$15 a tube. Don't let some shop give you the rear end job.
If your window has been leaking a while, there is probably rust that needs to be ground away and sealed with primer or por-15. Otherwise it will leak in a few months-years.

#5 ·
^^^ Good link. Driver side is known to have leaks as well from poor seam sealing.

#7 ·
The reason they are telling you that they can't remove and replace is that sometimes the windshield will crack when they remove it...that happened with our 98 Wagon. And it was the windshield leaking...you could actually push on the upper passenger side of the windshield and see sunlight coming in between the windshield and the A-pillar. However, it is a good idea to make sure it is not leaking elsewhere before having the windshield replaced.

#8 ·
IIRC, the 2002s also had a recall on the factory windshield as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.