New purchase - report and minor questions. - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 04:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
OFG

Member Number: 49631
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2001 Sable LS Premium
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
OFG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New purchase - report and minor questions.

With input from this forum (thanks guys, esp SuperMods Breeves and O4SEL) I made the decision to buy the car I was asking about.

The carfax was fine, all events were dealer servicing or plate renewals.

Since the license bureau is closed, I stayed home Sat and cleaned it.

Interior is OK, not great, you can tell they had two small kids.

Pulled out my Meguiars Gold and my HFF buffer (Harbor Freight's Finest) to give it a quick and dirty.
Shines up OK, paint is junk. Lots of tree sap stains and hundreds of little spots I can't identify or buff out easily.
I am accustomed to paint that looks good at 20 inches, I will have to settle for 20 feet.
I can live with it because I bought it to drive. It still has less miles (67K) than anything else I own.
Dent in the RR door was pointed out by the PO when I first looked at it, that will have to wait until I complete the fluids and alignment.

While I am here, I have a couple questions I have not researched yet.

I have 3 green valve stem covers and one missing. Does this indicate nitrogen? How important is it that I continue the nitro instead of air from my compressor?

The RF door electric lock quivers on lock attempt from any source, but does not go down. Makes no attempt to go up under any conditions. The other 3 work fine. Anything typical for this model? I plan to pull the door panel and check continuity/voltages, but that also will wait until after the fluids.

The sunroof interior motor cover makes no attempt at staying in place, and looks like it has not for a long time. The headliner appears to have shrunk away from the hole and the cover is now too small to attach to anything.
Any words of wisdom there?

Also, pictures for your viewing pleasure.
Attached Thumbnails
New purchase - report and minor questions.-sable-lf.jpg   New purchase - report and minor questions.-sable-drivers-seat.jpg   New purchase - report and minor questions.-sable-rr-dent.jpg  
OFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 05:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFG View Post
I have 3 green valve stem covers and one missing. Does this indicate nitrogen? How important is it that I continue the nitro instead of air from my compressor?
Probably. Regular air has a composition of 78% nitrogen already. The use of 100% nitrogen in regular passenger vehicle tires is a sham IMO. It really only makes a difference if you're racing your car on a track or talking about extreme tire performance applications like airplanes. The moisture content of the air is much more important to prevent internal corrosion. Try to use dry shop air if possible, or just fill your tires when the air temp is cold (cold air holds less moisture).

Quote:
The RF door electric lock quivers on lock attempt from any source, but does not go down. Makes no attempt to go up under any conditions. The other 3 work fine. Anything typical for this model? I plan to pull the door panel and check continuity/voltages, but that also will wait until after the fluids.
If you push it down manually, does it move with any greater difficulty than the other door plungers? Your plan sounds good. Something might have gotten bent (idiot using a slim jim) or you might have a bad lock motor.

Quote:
The sunroof interior motor cover makes no attempt at staying in place, and looks like it has not for a long time. The headliner appears to have shrunk away from the hole and the cover is now too small to attach to anything.
Any words of wisdom there?
There should be some small velcro pieces around the edges. Make sure they're there. Otherwise you might wrap something around the edge or add more velcro to make the friction fit tighter.
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 11378
Jeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that Nitrogen fill in passenger car tires is a total ripoff, dreamed up by people trying to make money off of the gullible general public.
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
02 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
Jeff K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 50963
Drives: 2007 Taurus SEL Windveil blue
Markcuda is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
I agree that Nitrogen fill in passenger car tires is a total ripoff, dreamed up by people trying to make money off of the gullible general public.
And get this, there are tards in this country that fall for the scam.
Leather intirior
3.0 Vulcan motor
WeatherTech side
window deflectors.
www.Markcuda.com
Markcuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 49748
Drives: 1995 Taurus SHO, Auto, Emerald Green, Tan leather on leather interior, sunr
GoSloSho is on a distinguished road

what type of buffer and pads do you use? just out of curiousity
Old 11-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 3136
Drives: 1998 LX black Vulcan 1997 SE black Vulcan
soundu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markcuda View Post
And get this, there are tards in this country that fall for the scam.
Nah, people just like to feel good spending there money. Buying oxygen free
audio cables,free range chicken meat, pure organic foods,Rap star labeled
products all make us feel good.

PT Barnum would have never been famous if people like this did not exist...
Bob Urz 1989 Vulcan wagon (wife crashed) 1990 Vulcan sedan (sold running) 1993 Vulcan sedan (wife crashed) 1993 Vulcan wagon (beat up like Battlestar Galactica, drove to junkyard on a sad day) 1997 Vulcan sedan (down with multiple coolant leaks), 1998 Vulcan sedan (rescued from being junked twice with broken brake lines and bad rack, currently resurrected)

If Spock drove a Taurus it would be a Vulcan
soundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Member Number: 49890
Drives: 2008 Mercury Sable Premier
Trader Score: 8 reviews
Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

^
+1

Hey congrats on the buy. I'm sure you'll love yours as much as I love mine!

Get those fluids replaced and she will last forever! That front interior isn't bad looking.

Just keep air from the compressor. Already mostly nitrogen I do 35psi, helps gas milage.

Plan to garage her or leave her out? I'm guessing PO left her under a tree for her whole life. I was lucky with my 00 sable, PO left her in a garage from 00-09, then my dad had her outside for 3 years, and my only choice is to have her outside, but she's still in tip top shape with 135k!

Again congrats, we are here to help you with anything! I don't know much about the door locks and some of the stuff you are asking so sorry I can't help much here.

2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2012 Kia Soul Base AT 1.6GDI
2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Moved On: 2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
OFG

Member Number: 49631
Drives: 2001 Sable LS Premium
OFG is an unknown quantity at this point

@GoSLoSho - I am a tightwad, so I don't buy high quality tools until I can justify the cost - that means, break a couple cheapies and knowing I will still need several more.
I am still using the lowest cost buffer from Harbor Freight and the pad that came with it several years ago.
I used Meguiars wax to buff yesterday. I have 3M Fine Cut Rubbing Compound I use when I am desperate and don't care about the clear coat - I am pretty sure the clear coat would be affected pretty quick if you hit it too hard with the 3M. (Altho my paint is bad enough, I may give it a shot next spring).
OFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member Number: 49748
Drives: 1995 Taurus SHO, Auto, Emerald Green, Tan leather on leather interior, sunr
GoSloSho is on a distinguished road

Ive always bought high quality once, then if it ever breaks i raise hell to the company and they usually work something out Im kinda a saleman by nature so i like to talk people into things. But Im not sure if youve ever watched "Junkman 2000's" videos on youtube. He uses a Porter Cable 7424 xp. Works awesome! I bought it myself. That buffer with 7 pads for only $180. Just random food for thought. and that machine will never break down.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 3136
Drives: 1998 LX black Vulcan 1997 SE black Vulcan
soundu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSloSho View Post
Ive always bought high quality once, then if it ever breaks i raise hell to the company and they usually work something out Im kinda a salesman by nature so i like to talk people into things. But Im not sure if youve ever watched "Junkman 2000's" videos on you tube. He uses a Porter Cable 7424 xp. Works awesome! I bought it myself. That buffer with 7 pads for only $180. Just random food for thought. and that machine will never break down.
I started out with craftsman tools. Not top line, but good quality and life
time guarantee. Then i discovered Harbor freight. and had a reality check.
I don't use my tools professionally at 100% duty cycle. Its 5% duty cycle
at best. So i DONT need top level tools for much of my home wrench work.
Now when it comes to battery or electric tools, it does pay to get better
units. I have dewalt impacts and come craftsman 19.2V stuff among
others.

I have harbor freight specialty tools like front end tool sets, brake bleeders
ball joint kits, pullers and others. They would have cost me Hundreds of
dollars to buy normally, But i got them all all at discount with coupons.
Its allowed me to economically do some repairs that i might not have done
because the tools cost too much.

if i pulled front end parts every day, my set might have died by now.
But it has allowed me to do all my cars and bro in laws truck too.

Sure, i would like 20K in snap on or SK or such. But its not going to happen
in this lifetime for me. For the price of one snap on socket, i can buy a whole set at Harbor.

The sad part now is i have so much harbor tools, its a challenge to find
something i don't already have on sale. There black Friday add this year
has not tripped my must go meter.

Sometime i would like to get a Mig welder. But i am still on the fence
on whether i need to scale up to a better brand on that purchase.
I would love to have a Miller or such, but thats a LOT of money.

Yea, i am tool junky at times...

bob
Bob Urz 1989 Vulcan wagon (wife crashed) 1990 Vulcan sedan (sold running) 1993 Vulcan sedan (wife crashed) 1993 Vulcan wagon (beat up like Battlestar Galactica, drove to junkyard on a sad day) 1997 Vulcan sedan (down with multiple coolant leaks), 1998 Vulcan sedan (rescued from being junked twice with broken brake lines and bad rack, currently resurrected)

If Spock drove a Taurus it would be a Vulcan
soundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement