Rear Stabilizer Bar Bushing - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 12:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 5051
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2000 Taurus LX 3.0 L Vulcan, FFV
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
boulderdentist has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Rear Stabilizer Bar Bushing

2000 Sedan, want to replace the rear stabilizer bar bushings, the rear to frame. The factory installed bushings are round, metal clad, and are bolted by a bracket under the trunk, rear seat area, one left, one right. The stabilizer bar is 18.5 mm. I found some Moog aftermarket replacement K8650, but they are not metal clad, and they are shaped a little differently, flat and elongated on one side which looks like it would fit the bracket better. They also are molded to fit the bracket from side to side. Factory bearings are able to slide, rattle, and squeak. I looked on several Ford dealerships online sites and in their diagrams the bushing also looks flat and elongated. One Denver dealership only could provide the whole assembly (don't you hate that when you need one component) bar, brackets, and bearings. I have not removed the stablizer bar, but it looks as if I may have to cut off the factory bearings due to the curvature of the stablizer bar and don't want to do something irreversible until I am sure this is correct. O'Reilly's site says this Moog is compatible and fits. Advance Auto Parts website says it does not. Has anyone done this replacement? I have an ongoing thumping, clunking from the left rear since car delivered. Dealer unable to duplicate and fix. I checked in the past rear stuts. Another post back in 2005 replaced the rear subframe bushings which took care of his clunking.

Scott
boulderdentist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 08:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 19771
double trouble has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default first

I would replace the sway bar links. I just did mine and solved the clunk . If you are replacing the sway bar bushings it makes sense anyway. On a 2000 , they are probably wasted.
Remember that those bolts are going to be tough. hit them with pb blaster a few days ahead of time and use heat .

You also have the wrong part.the ones u listed are up to 1999. It is not K8650 , it is k8787.

https://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/x,car...r_Bushing.html
Old 11-18-2012, 11:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member Number: 5051
Drives: 2000 Taurus LX 3.0 L Vulcan, FFV
boulderdentist has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Thanks double trouble. Just for information for anyone encountering similar problems. Today I removed the rear stabilizer bar and on the 2000 Sedan it is indeed an assmebly. The bushings are an integral part of the stabilizer bar, the brackets and bushings are welded to the bar. I reinstalled it and bolted it back and am going to take a harder look at the sway bar links. I double checked the parts number and K8787 is for the front suspension. I don't think the bushings are available individually for the rear. Someone else mentioned a strut mounting bearing.

Thanks
boulderdentist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 12:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Member Number: 49890
Drives: 2008 Mercury Sable Premier
Trader Score: 8 reviews
Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

Well did you replace the sway bar links? They generally go bad before anything else does and can cause a nice annoying clunking noise.

2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2012 Kia Soul Base AT 1.6GDI
2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Moved On: 2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 11:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 1771
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 00 SEL Sedan DOHC
Trader Score: 7 reviews
Bull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bull Geek Send a message via MSN to Bull Geek

2000+ Taurus/Sables have the sway bar brackets and bushings welded to the bar. Helps during assembly at the factory, not during replacement of bushings. A 99 or older Taurus/Sable will have the bushing and bracket separable.

-Silver Frost MC 2000 Ford Taurus SEL | V6 DOHC/AX4N | 198K - FOR SALE, See Thread: click

former '87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan
Bull Geek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 11:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 10865
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sheila is a splendid one to beholdsheila is a splendid one to behold

^+1.
sheila is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.