5w-20 or 5w-30 - Page 3 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 11:26 PM   #21 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Member Number: 49890
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2008 Mercury Sable Premier
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 8 reviews
Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

Holy cow that is a good deal. I may go and have the dealer do mine too hahaha!

2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2012 Kia Soul Base AT 1.6GDI
2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Moved On: 2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 02:05 AM   #22 (permalink)
fct
Devoted Member

Member Number: 10774
Chapter: Southern
Drives: 1999 Duratec
Trader Score: 0 reviews
fct has a spectacular aura about

The conventional thinking is to use what the manufacturer recommends, with the exception that when an old car starts consuming oil, if switching to thicker oil or HM oil resolves the issue then keep using that. However, it's probably overdone when someone puts a 40 or 50 grade into a car that's meant use say 20 grade, unless the intention is to keep driving until the car breaks instead of repairing something.

Note that Ford's specification for the 20 grade motor oil does not require that you use a 5W20. As long as 0W20 meets the Ford specification, you can use that as well (pretty much any major brand 0W20 motor oil adheres to Fords specs). The same applies to Ford cars that need 5W30. 0W30 should be adequate as long as it meets Ford's spec. The 0W oils flow better on cold starts, which makes them a better winter motor oil for places with a cold winter.
fct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:55 AM   #23 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 35029
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 1996 Sable LS, 3.0L V6 24V Duratec, AX4N
SoNic67 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeves002 View Post
Little bit of history. My sable had oil changes from the dealer from 00-07. I have every single receipt for every single oil change. Looking at them, from 00-05 they used 5w-30, after 05 they used 5w-20. They switched one time and stayed on 5w-20.
So that didn't bother you? Do you think they suddenly realize that they made a mistake? Did they change something inside your engine to allow that (better oil pump)? Or rather that government forced them to recommend a thinner oil in order to comply with CAFE standards? Look at March 2006 CAFE.
Ford probably said "who cares, faster you wear your engine, faster you will buy a new car from Ford".
Same applies to all manufacturers.

Last edited by SoNic67; 11-11-2012 at 07:58 AM.
SoNic67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:45 AM   #24 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
So that didn't bother you? Do you think they suddenly realize that they made a mistake? Did they change something inside your engine to allow that (better oil pump)? Or rather that government forced them to recommend a thinner oil in order to comply with CAFE standards? Look at March 2006 CAFE.
Ford probably said "who cares, faster you wear your engine, faster you will buy a new car from Ford".
Same applies to all manufacturers.
To be honest I don't know the exact date they switched, I think it was around 05, but maybe it was 06. I'll look, but I think all they did was use a different oil. I've only had the car since July this year.

I know it was the government that forced them to do it, there are a LOT of really dumb emissions things with cars. Cars are SO clean today yet their are still these ancient laws that mandate gasoline refineries to do stupid things that don't help emissions as well as all of these points car makers must achieve by a certain date! (it's worst in California... no wonder they are broke)...

Know what the biggest greenhouse gas is? Water vapor - H20 - Dihydrogenmonoxide (H20)! I personally am not a global warming idea supporter, so I think all this government involvement in car emissions is too much and costing us and the car manufacturers too much money. Like the EGR system is pretty much a waste maybe it reduces NOx a bit.... thats my rant for today.

2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Old 11-11-2012, 10:51 AM   #25 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 43818
Drives: 2010 Taurus SHO
mjhpadi has a spectacular aura about

We've discussed this in length at the Ecoboost Owner's Forum and our conclusion was to use whatever is recommended for your engine. For the 2010 SHO it is 5w-20 and for 2011 and up it is 5w-30. I have been using 5w-20 in our cars that it is recommended and have used it problem free for over 10 years and 200,000 miles. However, in our 99 Sable 5w-30 is recommended and that is what we use in it. I think it is best to stay with whatever is recommended for your car.
2010 Ford Taurus SHO-Livernois 4+ Tune, Airaid CAI, Caliper Covers, Tinted Taillights, Tinted Headlights, LED Interior Lighting, LED Puddle Lamps and License Lights, SHO Hood Stripes, Rearranged Trunk Badging
2004 Ford Explorer Limited-Wife's Tow Vehicle
1999 Mercury Sable LS-Our "Beatermobile"
mjhpadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #26 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeves002 View Post

I personally am not a global warming idea supporter, so I think all this government involvement in car emissions is too much and costing us and the car manufacturers too much money. Like the EGR system is pretty much a waste maybe it reduces NOx a bit.... thats my rant for today.
Breeves...you need to get updated. Since overall global cooling has been occurring for the past couple of years, global warming is out and now it is Global Climate Change that is being pushed.
2010 Ford Taurus SHO-Livernois 4+ Tune, Airaid CAI, Caliper Covers, Tinted Taillights, Tinted Headlights, LED Interior Lighting, LED Puddle Lamps and License Lights, SHO Hood Stripes, Rearranged Trunk Badging
Old 11-11-2012, 11:15 AM   #27 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Sorry, RIGHT, "CLIMATE CHANGE". HAH! They just have to be right!

2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Old 11-11-2012, 01:13 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member Number: 35588
Chapter: West Coast
Drives: '98 Taurus SE, Duratec V6
DN101 is on a distinguished road

Can somebody please clean up this mess? The last thing I want to read on this message board, especially in a thread on oil weights, is some dude's opinion on climate change. Nobody asked for it.
DN101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:28 PM   #29 (permalink)
Cake monster

Member Number: 18214
Drives: none right now
JW657 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DN101 View Post
Can somebody please clean up this mess? The last thing I want to read on this message board, especially in a thread on oil weights, is some dude's opinion on climate change. Nobody asked for it.
I could, but I won't. I just don't like the idea of censoring someones post because people might not agree with what they said. His post was not violating any forum rules, so I really don't think I have the right to make those changes. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, we shouldn't silence those who have differing opinions.

I think the best thing to do is get this thread back on topic.

JW657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:33 PM   #30 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DN101 View Post
If you're talking about my post, please tell me, what is my opinion on climate change? Sorry, now back to topic....still think the best weight is whatever is recommended...although my 98 F-150 recommended 5w-30, then Ford changed it to 5w-20!!!

Last edited by mjhpadi; 11-11-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement