2002 Mercury sable GS, Horn and Cruise control not operational. - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 51065
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2002 Mercury Sable GS
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
runfrombears is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2002 Mercury sable GS, Horn and Cruise control not operational.

Hi guys! Just found these forums. I just moments ago purchased a 2002 GS Mercury Sable. (well it was practically given to me) The most luxurious car i've ever owned!

A few issues I wanted to ask you guys in case anyone might know?

The horn doesn't work & cruise control doesn't work. The previous owner mentioned something about the battery going out and that perhaps the cruise control could be "reset", I have no idea.

Also there is some confirmed lifter noise. Isn't very noticeable but it seems to be there when I accelerate. Any ideas if lifter noise is a common problem, and hopefully not a death sentence?

If anyone has some info I would be most thankful! Thanks and hopefully i'll be here for a while, I have much to learn.
runfrombears is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 21887
Drives: 1999 Taurus SE 3l V6
Prismatic has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Noisy lifters aren't the end of the world, they could just be clogged. Perhaps try one of those engine flush treatments during your next oil change. No I can't recommend a particular brand

Are your brake lights coming on when they should be? There is also a small relay box next to the battery which contains the relay for the horn.

There is a clockspring inside the wheel which may have also failed. It happens, though it's a bit less common. I had the same problem, turned out to be 1.) A failed horn relay, and 2.) Failed brake switch for the cruise. It's attached to the brake pedal arm. Blue sensor. Check for resistance through the pins. IIRC it should be open when depressed, closed when released.

Here's an image I googled. You're looking for the upper sensor.

Last edited by Prismatic; 11-05-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Prismatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prismatic View Post
Noisy lifters aren't the end of the world, they could just be clogged. Perhaps try one of those engine flush treatments during your next oil change. No I can't recommend a particular brand

Are your brake lights coming on when they should be? There is also a small relay box next to the battery which contains the relay for the horn.

There is a clockspring inside the wheel which may have also failed. It happens, though it's a bit less common. I had the same problem, turned out to be 1.) A failed horn relay, and 2.) Failed brake switch for the cruise. It's attached to the brake pedal arm. Blue sensor. Check for resistance through the pins. IIRC it should be open when depressed, closed when released.

Here's an image I googled. You're looking for the upper sensor.

Thanks! I will check this out tomorrow. Say you wouldn't happen to be Prismatic from AC friends would you?
Old 11-05-2012, 11:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by runfrombears View Post
Thanks! I will check this out tomorrow. Say you wouldn't happen to be Prismatic from AC friends would you?
That's me!
Old 11-06-2012, 12:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
That's me!
Small world or freaky world, because this isn't the first time i've randomly found an ACfer. This is Whipsmack, you helped me with some coding for a website a few years ago. Pretty sure it was you.

Last edited by runfrombears; 11-06-2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:21 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by runfrombears View Post
Small world or freaky world, because this isn't the first time i've randomly found an ACfer in another forum. This is Whipsmack, you helped me with some coding for a website a few years ago. Pretty sure it was you.

Haha, what's up? I haven't forgot you, I'm like an elephant. I lurk in many places, only a couple use this name. We've probably interacted in other places, too
Old 11-06-2012, 08:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Haha, what's up? I haven't forgot you, I'm like an elephant. I lurk in many places, only a couple use this name. We've probably interacted in other places, too
Not much really, I am a person of uneventfulness. The horn was super easy fix I should have checked before hand, it was just a blown fuse. I found that blue switch thing, I will now have to find my multimeter and fiddle around if i'm feeling ambitious enough.

Do you recommend seafoam for the lifter issue?

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.