Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

PO306 MISFIRE 3.0L Vulcan

18K views 44 replies 5 participants last post by  soundu 
#1 ·
I am having trouble with my 2000 Taurus wagon. If you baby it, you can drive it but it sputters sometimes. It seems to do it under a load like going up a hill or on the throttle hard. Spread out over the past year I have replaced the plugs, then the coil pack and just recently the wires and I only did the wire since the misfire started. It is to the point that the check engine light will flash.
I pulled all the plugs and did a compression test
#1 = 165
#2 = 150
#3 = 165
#4 = 155
#5 = 155
#6 = 170 <-- smelled fuel
I smelled fuel as soon as I pulled the flug out of the # 6 cylinder.
I used a scanned and it says I have a misfire in #6.

What do you think, bad injector?

All of the plugs looked ok, kind of an oranginsh color but they have some miles on them

#32 ·
It should be right under the little ring looking thing on the fuel rail in the first picture.

Is it not?

Behlinla - am I wrong?

#35 · (Edited)
Wait for behlinla, but it should be on the fuel rail somewhere. Look for a loose hanging vacuum line coming from the EGR valve or back of the intake manifold. I'm sorry I don't know the OHV motor as well. I own a DOHC and know it much better.

See that little thing with the circle cap to the left (when looking at the motor from the front) of the EGR valve? It's the EVR. Look for vacuum lines going into it. One should be from the EGR valve and the other should go the fuel rail if I remember correctly. I'm looking at the second picture with the top down view of the rear of the motor. I'm not referencing the DPFE sensor which is directly to the left of the EGR valve. The thing two over from it.

Also look at the vacuum tube to the left of the EVR and see where it leads and if it is connected. Again I'm just guessing here.

#37 ·
If you find one that is disconnected let me know.

I know on my motor that there is a cable that goes from the UIM to the fuel regulator. One of them also goes to the EVR and then one from the EVR goes to the EGR.... I'm wondering if it is the same or similar for yours.

#38 ·
Hmm. Well first of all you have a 2001 MY and not a 2000. The EPA sticker also says you have California emissions, so that might have something to do with it. So I do not see a fuel pressure regulator. I was trying to look at the vacuum routing diagram to see if it's on there, but the picture resolution is too low for me to read the labels.

#41 ·
Hmm. Well first of all you have a 2001 MY and not a 2000. The EPA sticker also says you have California emissions, so that might have something to do with it. So I do not see a fuel pressure regulator. I was trying to look at the vacuum routing diagram to see if it's on there, but the picture resolution is too low for me to read the labels.
The pictures are in my photobucket account under fstbuik454 but I am having trouble posting a link. I don't know why I put 2000 as the model year? We used to have a 2000 Windstar and I guess I mixed them up.

#39 ·
If your still looking for the fuel pressure regulator, i suggest you Google
Taurus, (year of car), fuel pressure regulator and look at the images.
Mine has the chrome round can type. There is another plastic type
from the images. If you know what it looks like, it will be easier to
find. Since you have the dual plane plastic intake, i would think you
have the plastic looking variety. Too bad i did not have my camera
in the junk yard the other day. There was a dual plan Vulcan sitting
loose on top of the engine

bob

#40 · (Edited)
I looked it up on alldata, and this is what I get no matter what year or motor.... It's assuming you have a return fuel system. I don't know what year, or if they switched to a returnless fuel system.

I actually have a 2000 factory manual at home. I'll see if I can find it in there when I go home next unless you find it before then.

#42 ·
I noticed it said 2001 on the sticker you posted a picture of. I thought that seemed odd. It is weird we can't find the regulator.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#44 ·
I think I have reached my limit.... I can't exactly afford it but I guess the car's going to have to go to a shop to get looked at. By the time I get home from work it's just to damn dark and cold to keep working on this thing.

#45 ·
See if this helps at all. If it there, it may be hidden under the intake plenum,

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.