02 taurus sel dohc cylinder 2 misfire mystery lots of time invested please help - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2012, 02:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 25908
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
moose2001 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default 02 taurus sel dohc cylinder 2 misfire mystery lots of time invested please help

Hi my 2002 Taurus sel dohc v6 problem is according to auto zones latest check engine reading was cylinder 2 misfire. The check engine light is on at times when it runs worse it flashes this is a reoccuring problem i got it to stop for a while and it started doing it again this time it was stumbling pretty bad for about 10 mins what i don't understand is its not repetitive i thought a problem would be consistent for example a bad sensor or vacuum leak it would continue to run bad until fixed well mine is a puzzle. It stumbles under a load while driving or in gear stopped funny thing is not the same stumbling everytime the car runs great for so long then just decides to act up. Example car was warm driving round a corner running fine like flipping a light switch check engine light started flashing and car was running real rough surging stumbling bad got it home it sat cooled down all the way started it up it ran fine at a idle check engine light still on car warmed up and in a 10 mile drive was stumbling here and there i pulled all plugs cleaned and checked all wires which are fairly new couple months old.checked all vacuum lines and upper intake gaskets which are Little over year Old put it all together started it idled good i wanna ask to where the the 6 upper intake gaskets are there is alittle oil at each intake runner is that normal also seen a Little oil coming out of throttle body back to story couple hours later i started it to drive home and it started stumbling right away while cold so now it does itwarm cold or not at all???? It had 192000 miles i have put a new coil mass air flow crank sensor4 sets of wires because oddly enough in the pass when it happened after Ford dealer couldn't figure it out and me either oddly enough new wires would fix it temporarily im running outta ideas any help
moose2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2012, 02:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

First of all, try to use more than four periods. Your post is a little hard to follow.

You need to check the spark on #2 when it misfires to make sure the coil is firing properly. Did you say you replaced the coil since it started doing this? You might also have a problem with the ignition wires going back to the PCM or the PCM driver itself.

Were there any other codes besides P0302?

Checking for fuel pressure while this is happening would also be a good idea.
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member Number: 25908
moose2001 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Yes after the first time it started acting up i put a new coil on it. Probably two years ago.while inspecting the spark plugs i did not see any alarming differences in plug color or wear. I just don't get why it does not always have the problem and why changing wires whether a lucky stroke or not seemed to cure it. The only code auto zone told me of was the miss fire.
moose2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 889
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 94 Taurus GL 3.8L PEP204A 99 Ranger 4.0L 4dr 5spd auto Payload & Tow pkg
pawpaw is a jewel in the rough

A number of things can cause a random misfire & you may have more than one problem.

A misfire under load is usually associated with a spark problem, so maybe try a one at a time wet down test of the secondary high voltage ignition, using a spray bottle of water after dark, paying close attention to the #2 cyl ignition parts, to look for arcs & sparks, or a rougher running engine as they're wet down.

If no joy, the next time it acts out, pull over & have a listen with a stethoscope, or fashion one from a broom handle, piece of tubing, or hose, listening for any unusual sounds from the #2 fuel injector, or #2 cyl top end, for a sticking valve.

More thoughts for consideration, let us know what you find.

Details are trifles, but trifles make perfection & perfection is no trifle (Ben Franklin)
Our signature is a sign of a job completed, autograph your work with excellence.
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 43719
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2001 sel 3.0 dohc
4greens is an unknown quantity at this point

maybe got another bad coil pack. went through 3 from autozone before i got a good one
4greens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 10865
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sheila is a glorious beacon of lightsheila is a glorious beacon of light

Best to source a Motorcraft coil from Rockauto or a Borg-Warner from Advance Auto or O'Reilly. Haven't had good luck with "Duracrap" elec. parts. Used to be rebranded Wells.
sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 889
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 94 Taurus GL 3.8L PEP204A 99 Ranger 4.0L 4dr 5spd auto Payload & Tow pkg
pawpaw is a jewel in the rough

Always have electrical parts tested at the store before leaving with them.

Details are trifles, but trifles make perfection & perfection is no trifle (Ben Franklin)
Our signature is a sign of a job completed, autograph your work with excellence.
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement