Transmission help needed - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 09:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Member Number: 49890
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2008 Mercury Sable Premier
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 8 reviews
Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

I like how the last 6 posts were from you

Congrats on getting it fixed! A well shifting trans is always good!

2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2012 Kia Soul Base AT 1.6GDI
2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Moved On: 2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 3136
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 1998 LX black Vulcan 1997 SE black Vulcan
Trader Score: 0 reviews
soundu is on a distinguished road

Congrats on a good job. How much time to you figure you got wrapped
up on the whole project?

Question: the AX4N was notorious for having a delayed engagement of
reverse. Mine has been doing it for a while, but its not a deal killer and just
an annoyance. Did yours do that also before the issues? If so, did it quit
after the VB replacement?

bob
Bob Urz 1989 Vulcan wagon (wife crashed) 1990 Vulcan sedan (sold running) 1993 Vulcan sedan (wife crashed) 1993 Vulcan wagon (beat up like Battlestar Galactica, drove to junkyard on a sad day) 1997 Vulcan sedan (down with multiple coolant leaks), 1998 Vulcan sedan (rescued from being junked twice with broken brake lines and bad rack, currently resurrected)

If Spock drove a Taurus it would be a Vulcan
soundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 26577
egiroux is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad you got it going again!
egiroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:03 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member Number: 15675
labtek has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I'm going to say it took about 8 hrs total. It took longer to remove than to install mainly because of that engine trans mounting bracket. Taking it out and putting it back really is like a puzzle. I had to wait quite a while before I put it back because of my problem finding a VB that I felt confident with. Tying the wires and other thing up out of the way took a while but well worth if because it gives you lots of room and getting the side pan and VB in and out was not really hard at all. I put the pan back on while I waited for parts that keeps things nice and clean and I also cleaned all around the area with carb spray and blew everything off each time I worked on it. I had pumped the pan out with that cheap little hand pump HF sells (about a gal) so not much comes out when you pull the side pan maybe a cup or 2. I did get the shop manual on ebay ($10) and between that and the help here it went very well. The car was on jack stands and I kept a jack with a piece of 2X6 under the oil pan and a jack stand with 2X6 under the trans pan. You'll have to move the engine and trans up and down to get the mount bracket in and out. I kept one of those large drip pans you can get at AZ under the car all the time so no mess at all. Hears a tip when you get the wheel and cowling (wheel well and under radiator) off soak all those large bolts and nuts (sub frame and mounts) wit PB if you need to I didn't than break all of them loose that helps a lot when your ready to start the job. You'll also have your tools lined up and ready to go.

As far as the shifting before and after. It did have some hesitation going into reverse but not real bad. What I did notice was a hesitation between first and second kinda of mushy but it drove fine. After the noise started it took a couple of 20 to 30 mile trips before it wouldn't go into gear (forward or reverse) when it was cold. Now it goes into reverse almost instantly maybe a second or 2 and in drive the same also the shifting is very smooth and without hesitation.

It's my wife's car so I'm not as used to it as she is. Thursday she drove it for the first time about a mile and back and said if felt much better. Yesterday we put about 30 or forty miles freeway and in town and she loves her car once again said it's been a long time since it driven so well. I guess I'm getting my Ranger back.

Next up struts and sway bar bushings.when we find the extra money of course.

If any of you are going to do this and have any questions maybe I can help.
labtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:24 AM   #15 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 26577
egiroux is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you remove the subframe?
egiroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:01 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member Number: 15675
labtek has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Did not remove sub frame just loosened so I had about 1 to 1 1/2 inch play. I used a pry bar to move it up and down. Need to do that to get the mount out and in. Also all was torqued back to factory spec.

Last edited by labtek; 11-12-2012 at 09:48 AM.
labtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement