We have a 2002 Taurus SEL Duratec V6 with air conditioning problems.
* In July we were returning from a trip when the air conditioner stopped cooling over the course of a few minutes. Turning the ac
off and on, then the ignition off and on, did not help. The blown air became warmer, and soon we noticed the blower sounded "throaty" - blowing at inconsistent levels - and gradually with less and less force until there was almost no air blowing from the front vents and very hot air blowing from the windshield vents. Cycling temp up to 90 and down to 60 didn't help (as it has in the past when air conditioning blew hot from the front vents).
* We took it to the mechanic who replaced the actuator motor and reset the control module.
* A couple of weeks later we went on another trip and experienced the identical symptoms in the same sequence.
* We returned to the mechanic and he learned the plastic door controlled by the actuator motor has a tendency to warp and then jam. He explained the module would lock out when this happened to prevent the motor from burning up. So he replaced the door and for a few days we had cold air, on short trips around town.
* During our most recent long trip we experienced similar symptoms as during the previous extended trips, except this time no hot air blew from the windshield vents and there was some cooling from the front vents ~ the throaty noise remained and cold air simply did not blow forcefully from the dash vents.
* We read about diagnostic codes and ran the test. No error codes were reported, just 888 at the end of test and the system reset did not affect the problem.
* Currently sometimes the system will run ok from a cold start, but will inevitably lapse into VERY minimal cooling mode (although it's not blowing full heat like it was before the plastic door was replaced) on an extended trip.
We are $1100 poorer & both we and our mechanic are frustrated. Any ideas? Many thanks in advance.