Codes P2197, P2270, P1000 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2012, 08:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 35663
Chapter: Eastern Canada
Drives: 2004 Taurus Wagon Duratec 3.0 DHOC
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
MarcPhotoMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Codes P2197, P2270, P1000

My car is an 04' Taurus with the 24v DOHC engine. I keep getting the code P2197, P2270 which is oxygen sensor stuck lean. and P1000 OBD test incomplete.

The car does have power loss every now and then, plus an exhaust smell that comes in trough the ventilation and you can smell it when you are standing next to the drivers or passengers front door. Plus there is t a lot of heat dissipating from the same area.

I did order an new DPFE sensor and installed it.

I think my cat is blocked.

Any advice and tips would be very much appreciated.
MarcPhotoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2012, 08:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

P1000 mean the codes have been recently cleared or the battery was disconnected. If you haven't done either of these recently, it may be cause for concern.

You have lean codes for two oxygen sensors - Bank 2 sensor 1 and Bank 1 sensor 2. You could have a vacuum leak somewhere, but it could also be some kind exhaust leak as well. It might also be bad oxygen sensors. Start by checking for vacuum and exhaust leaks.
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by behlinla View Post
P1000 mean the codes have been recently cleared or the battery was disconnected. If you haven't done either of these recently, it may be cause for concern.

You have lean codes for two oxygen sensors - Bank 2 sensor 1 and Bank 1 sensor 2. You could have a vacuum leak somewhere, but it could also be some kind exhaust leak as well. It might also be bad oxygen sensors. Start by checking for vacuum and exhaust leaks.

Yes Codes were cleared and the battery was disconnected, I checked for Vacuum leaks, like I said I do smell exhaust coming from under the car near under the front of the car near the driver and passengers doors.

My gas mileage sucks and the car hesitates (with some power loss) from time to time and tends to idle funny from time to time. especially after going over a speed bump. Also the heat shield is rattling.

I proably do need to change the plugs and gas filter ( I do not know when the previous owner changed them). But I want to tackle one thing at at time.

What is the best way to find an exhaust leak?
Old 08-03-2012, 08:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 11378
Jeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond repute

I am betting on a massive vacuum leak.
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
02 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
Jeff K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

I had an oil change done today at Midas. While I was there I had them look for an exhaust leak, So there estimate says that i need to change Gaskets: 1 Manifold & 1 Flange; Emission Restrictions:

Rear Manifold Conv.;and 2nd cat and both oxygen sensors

I am not sure if i need to change all these parts but at least I know what to look at.

Last edited by MarcPhotoMan; 08-04-2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 11378
Jeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond repute

DO NOT trust any "diagnosis" from a chain store like Midas. They are complete rip off artists!!!! If you arent going to diagnose and fix it yourself, find a trusted mom and pop repair shop.
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
02 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
Jeff K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:05 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff K View Post
DO NOT trust any "diagnosis" from a chain store like Midas. They are complete rip off artists!!!! If you arent going to diagnose and fix it yourself, find a trusted mom and pop repair shop.
I needed an oil change and they had a special. I wanted to ge an idea of were to look before I get under the car. I do not trust them and I never said I was not going to fix it my self!
Old 02-23-2013, 12:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member Number: 17745
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 3 Taurii .... 2001 Vulcan, 2003 DOHC, 2006 Vulcan
dandur805 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Thumbs up marcphotoman

Places like Midas and such are not to be trusted any further than you can throw your car (my view). A quick way to do a check is to take it to the place that uses the oil that you want. Say, Jiffy Lube for Pennzoil. They, like the dealership will do all the extra checks...whether you want them to or not. This is ok...just remember that YOU want them to do ONLY what you brought the car to them for..NOTHING else. So they come in and tell you this is low or that is low...and to give them a little credit, they may be right. Like the oil level may be a hair (I am not kidding...a hair) below the full line. Then you say top it off, they add a tablespoon and charge you for a qt. I think enough of the TV networks have done exposes on these shops to at least warrant you being extremely careful. So back to the inspection. Let them go through the trouble of removing your cabin filter (Yes, most of you have them) and they will show you all the leaves, etc that are on it. Tell them no, you don't want it changed at this time. Good answer for everything they say. Next, when you get home, you can top off the fluids, etc. You can go to Advance and buy a cabin filter and if you don't know where it is, just watch when they go back after you say no, and see where they put it. Believe me, it is cheaper to spend 5 minutes changing it out than it is to have them do it....a lot cheaper.
dandur805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement