Prefered Oil Filter? - Page 8 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Prefered Oil Filter?
Fram 14 10.61%
Motorcraft 65 49.24%
Wix 7 5.30%
Napa 3 2.27%
K&N 7 5.30%
Purolator 21 15.91%
AC Delco 0 0%
Bosch 6 4.55%
Mobil 1 7 5.30%
Mann 0 0%
AMSOIL 2 1.52%
Royal Purple 0 0%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 01:49 AM   #71 (permalink)
fct
Devoted Member

Member Number: 10774
Chapter: Southern
Drives: 1999 Duratec
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
fct has a spectacular aura about

The other day I saw a "Porsche 911" episode in "Wheeler Dealers". Wheeler Dealers is a British show about two guys who buy older iconic autos, restore them and sell them for "profit". The 911 in this show came from North America. I chuckled when they opened the engine bay and I saw the orange can inside. I mean come on.. I am not fully anti-OCOD, but a 911 deserved better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 11:16 AM   #72 (permalink)

Member Number: 10769
RickMN will become famous soon enough

Another interesting side note to this discussion. Check out this link to the owners of UCI-Fram

Rank Group Limited

Notice they also own Champion Laboratories--another filter manufacturer

Champion Laboratories Inc.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:37 AM   #73 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 35029
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 1996 Sable LS, 3.0L V6 24V Duratec, AX4N
SoNic67 has a spectacular aura about

Yep, Honeywell sold those brands (Fram, Autolite, Presone) in 2011:
Honeywell Sells Consumer Auto Products Business - NYTimes.com
Old 01-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #74 (permalink)
Cake monster

Member Number: 18214
Drives: none right now
JW657 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Just because they changed the filter milage rating doesn't mean they actually changed the filter. It just means they changed the marketing (companies do this more than you would like as a consumer). I may have read something about the end cap being different, so it might be true that they changed the design. I was just asking if you knew for sure or not.
The cheaper Fram filter design dates back to around 30 years ago. You can google about peopling cutting vintage ones open. They have actually changed very little, maybe they changed recently, but probably not by much. The design has proven to be quite reliable.

Quote:
Yes those are all important, but you missed a big one—pressure drop. More pleats/area with the same filter media means a lower pressure drop. This becomes more of an issue with worn engines at idle, like the flickering oil light some people experience with older bulls. I tend to believe the basic FRAM with fewer pleats/area will create more of a pressure drop than some of the more expensive filters. No I don't have very much empirical data to support this other than reports of people switching to a different brand of filter and having their flickering oil light go away. Some of that might have to do with the filter being dirty or the oil being the incorrect viscosity.
Fram filters have a bypass that's very easy to open, I think it would bypass easier than a purolator. If I'm correct, the flow might be even better with a Fram, espically during a cold start, when the bypass needs to be open for proper flow. My main concern would be if it filters less because of the bypass.
Quote:
Yes, they are ISO certified (I know what it means), but that doesn't change the fact that cardboard caps are less durable than metal. Whether that matters during the typical service life of a cheap filter is debatable. I would guess that the vast majority of FRAM filters do not leak during their lifetimes, but I've still seen pictures/video of the cardboard end caps separating on brand new filters. No, I can't be sure the videos are genuine, but I would tend to believe what I'm seeing unless proven otherwise. Their ISO testing should prove the filters are reliable enough, but does that mean they're as reliable as metal cap filters?
There is very little hard evidence that card board end caps are worse than metal end caps. I have researched this extensively, there's only really consumer speculation on whether or not it's better. Fram is pretty much one of the most popular filter makers in the world, and the failure rate can't be that high because there's only a few dozen or so failure stories on the internet. Nissian, Subaru and some OE Honda filters are made by Fram. There's also lots of examples of filters with metal end caps that have defects in the filter media.

Fram filters are generally fine, in my opinion.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:12 PM   #75 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 35029
Drives: 1996 Sable LS, 3.0L V6 24V Duratec, AX4N
SoNic67 has a spectacular aura about

The Fram filters failure leads to better oil pressure because they have the media crack open inside. The anti-drain back valve does the same - fails open. Of course you won't see complains...

Credits: LesabreT.com's Oil filter write up..

Last edited by SoNic67; 01-02-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #76 (permalink)
Sam
breeves002

Member Number: 49890
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2008 Mercury Sable Premier
Trader Score: 8 reviews
Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

I actually just bought two Motorcraft FL820S filters at Walmart today and a jug of Mobil 1 High Mileage full synthetic 5w-30 oil. Going to see if it slows down my oil leak. I've heard high milage oil has "gasket swelling" properties. Filters were $3 each, and the 5qt of Mobil 1 was $26. Not a bad deal!

I also picked up a 5qt of 5w-30 supertec conventional oil and a puralator classic filter for my dad's van.

2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2012 Kia Soul Base AT 1.6GDI
2004 Acura TSX 2.4
Moved On: 2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec
Old 01-02-2013, 05:37 PM   #77 (permalink)

Don't know if this has been posted yet. If so, my apologies. I know this is an oil filter thread, but some of you may find it interesting. Maybe we should start a new thread?

ISO 5011 Duramax Air Filter Test Report - MotoWiki
Old 01-02-2013, 05:51 PM   #78 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMN View Post
Don't know if this has been posted yet. If so, my apologies. I know this is an oil filter thread, but some of you may find it interesting. Maybe we should start a new thread?

ISO 5011 Duramax Air Filter Test Report - MotoWiki
Yup, it was posted some years back: Engine Air Filter Test Results
Old 01-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #79 (permalink)

Speaking of Fram filters

It was just a little loose. - Imgur
Old 01-03-2013, 05:24 PM   #80 (permalink)

Member Number: 48995
Drives: 1997 GL Vulcan V6 3.0 52k Silver Bullet
Bullhorn is an unknown quantity at this point

^ that just looks like the gasket new or old is just seated very improperly lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread