Crankshaft pulley Harmonic Balancer and damper - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2012, 11:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 48685
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 1999 ford taurus lx 3.0l v6
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
dmoneyinc813 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Crankshaft pulley Harmonic Balancer and damper

The crankshaft pulley does not spin when the car is on which none of the belts are moving due to that issue. When further examined the damper which the bolt is attached to is spinning but not the pulley it's self. I attempted to turn the bolt counter clock wise which is the direction it needs to be turned in order to be reattached. Clockwise loosens the bolt to replace it. The bolt no matter how many attempts will never get tight. Half a turn it seems as if there is a little more play need but then it feels loose again. What could be the issue and which part needs to be replaced??

Last edited by dmoneyinc813; 07-03-2012 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Better picture with notes
dmoneyinc813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2012, 05:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

When you tighten the bolt, you have to restrain the flywheel/flex-plate so that the engine won't turn. There is a special tool for this but if you take the access cover off the bell housing by the starter you should be able to figure something out. If the engine is turning your bolt isn't going to get tight (plus it's not good for the engine to be turned backwards). However I'm not 100% sure that tightening the bolt will fix the problem so you might consider replacing the pulley.

Proper torque specs for the pulley bolt are 70-77 lb-ft (use of a torque wrench is recommended). Bracket nuts are 15-22 lb-ft.
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member Number: 48685
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 1999 ford taurus lx 3.0l v6
dmoneyinc813 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply very detailed information is there a way for me to remove the pulley without having to drop the engine? Or is there enough room for me to do so? Also why would the pulley need to be replaced is this not a two part type of deal? I was under the impression the center hub could be replaced because every parts start I have went to the pulley is by its self without the center hub which is what I think may be the issue here . . . I know I could be wrong you seem to know your stuff very well and thorough.

Last edited by dmoneyinc813; 07-05-2012 at 12:54 AM.
dmoneyinc813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 17094
Drives: 1999 Taurus SE Duratec
Scout1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Dmoney,
I went through this with my son's car. The accessory drive pulley is rubber mounted to the big bolt. They can separate which is what my son's car did and is probably your problem. Unfortunately the pulley, bracket and shaft are one assembly and can not be repaired. A new Ford part is about $140.00 I think. Lucky for me, I did an engine swap and used motor had one on it so I had a spare. More bad news, that pulley can come off fairly easily but if it doesn't it will be a real PIA. To take it OFF you have to turn it CLOCKWISE. If it does not come off easily you have to use the biggest and baddest impact wrench you can find. It can also come apart where you don't want it to and require cutting the shaft so you can get a socket on the shaft behind that pulley. You can loosen the engine craddle mounting bolts on the passenger side to lower it to give access to the bolt. Good luck and hope yours comes out easily.

Ed
Scout1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement