Mercury sable oil ? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2012, 02:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 34096
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2004 6 cylinder
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
lonewolf5347 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mercury sable oil ?

My wife car is a 2004 sable in excellent condition the car has 42,000 mi on it and I alway do a oil change every 2,500 mi
I would like to switch to Mobile 1 full synthetic will I have any problems switching over the car is 9 years old
I run synthetic in my jeep after the first oil change
lonewolf5347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2012, 02:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 5295
Drives: 2005 Taurus SE 3.0L Vulcan Bought with 111,432KM in October of 2012
the_intimidator_02 is a jewel in the rough

There's nothing to worry about.

Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.

The Human race is governed by it's own imagination.

Please don't steal, the government can't stand the competition.
the_intimidator_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member Number: 11699
Drives: 2003 SES DOHC *** 2004 Sable DOHC
rdanville has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Mobil 1 5W20, 7500 mile oil changes with ease. Been doing it for years.
rdanville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

Shouldn't have any problems. I would go at least 5,000 miles on a change with M1 to avoid waisting $$$.
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 2397
Drives: 2001 Taurus SEL - Duratec 2008 Mercedes E350 4matic
henrysel will become famous soon enough

I usually do 5-6k on a synthetic blend, usually Motorcraft 5w20 with a quart of Mobil 1 mixed in. Even 3k these days is too often, the oil these days are so much better than before. In europe, they sometimes change oil once a year and some go up to 20k between changes.

There really aren't any issues with switching back and forth between synthetic. I ran Mobil 1 once to about 10k when I bought it on sale once. Now just doing synthetic mixes on cheaper oils.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 35029
Drives: 1996 Sable LS, 3.0L V6 24V Duratec, AX4N GONE, RIP
SoNic67 has a spectacular aura about

The only issue is that you NEED to use a synthetic media filter too (Mobile1, Bosch Distance Plus, K&N) if you go on extended intervals. The paper filters are not made to last more than half year in oil or more than 5k miles and you will loose filtration (will either break o hole in media or bypass valve will be open all the time).
SoNic67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member Number: 15350
holptj has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
I would like to switch to Mobile 1 full synthetic
Why are you wanting to switch? To get away from the 2500 mile oci?

I put about 5000 miles on my 00 Vulcan (with ~176k miles) per year. I change the oil once a year using whatever name brand 10W30 is on sale and a Purolator classic filter. Current oil is Pennzoil Platinum, but I have Mobil Super ready to go in at the next change.

Unless your doing really short trips or other severe service, why not stick to dino and go to a 5000 mile oci?
holptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
fct
Devoted Member

Member Number: 10774
Chapter: Southern
Drives: 1999 Duratec
fct has a spectacular aura about

It seems like any well known brand of conventional or synthetic blend 5W-20 or 5W-30 oil should be fine for a 5000 OCI in Taurus engines. I am careful to say conventional instead of dyno because there is a rumor that a lot on conventional oils now have some synthetic oil in them to meet the latest API standards. You can push some of the better of these oils a bit longer. But if you want better protection and/or longer change interval try major brand synthetic (mobil 1, pennzoil, castrol, etc)

Regarding the weight, if you take your car mostly on a lot of short trips, 5W20 could be better due to better flow when not fully warm. If the car sees a lot of highway miles at steady or cruise speeds then any of 5W30, 10A30, or 5W20 should be fine. These are relatively forgiving engines.
fct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 43818
Drives: 2010 Taurus SHO
mjhpadi has a spectacular aura about

After a lot of discussion, most people will agree that staying with the weight recommended for your car is the best...yes there are a lot of disagreement about it, but staying with recommended weight isn't a bad thing. After saying that, I have been using Mobil One 5w-20 in my vehicles since it was Ford's recommended weight oil without any problems. I change every 3K miles, but that's because it's what I feel comfortable doing. Now in our Sable with 291K miles, I have been using Castrol High Mileage 5w-30 since we got the car since it had over 130K miles when we purchased the car. Again recommended weight. for the Sable.
Here's a post from our Ecoboost website, that helps explain oil & weight:
An interesting tidbit that I ran across should help those who do not understand the oil spec and what it means.

"Viscosity, at its most basic, is a fluid's resistance to flow. Within the engine oil world, viscosity is notated with the common "XW-XX." The number preceding the "W" rates the oil's flow at 0 degrees Fahrenheit (-17.8 degrees Celsius). The "W" stands for winter, not weight as many people think. The lower the number here, the less it thickens in the cold. So 5W-30 viscosity engine oil thickens less in the cold than a 10W-30, but more than a 0W-30. An engine in a colder climate, where motor oil tends to thicken because of lower temperatures, would benefit from 0W or 5W viscosity. A car in Death Valley would need a higher number to keep the oil from thinning out too much.

The second number after the "W" indicates the oil's viscosity measured at 212 degrees Fahrenheit (100 degrees Celsius). This number represents the oil's resistance to thinning at high temperatures. For example, 10W-30 oil will thin out at higher temperatures faster than 10W-40 will."
2010 Ford Taurus SHO-Livernois 4+X Tune, Airaid CAI, Caliper Covers, Tinted Taillights, Tinted Headlights, LED Interior Lighting, LED Puddle Lamps and License Lights, SHO Hood Stripes, Rearranged Trunk Badging, 3 Bar MAP Sensor, 160 Evenflo Thermostat, V3 Triton Switchback LED Front Parking/Turn Signal
2004 Ford Explorer Limited-Wife's Tow Vehicle
1999 Mercury Sable LS-Our "Beatermobile"
1999 Ford Taurus SE Wagon-'Our Family Truckster"
mjhpadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:36 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member Number: 27456
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 'kate' is a 2002, DOHC 3.0 SEL
taurus2002_taz has a little shameless behaviour in the past

The major issue is change the oil filter more often if the isn't black in the slightest, by all means save some $$$$. I agree with everything that everyone said but here is my own opinion and they are like a$$holes... Everyone's got one. I don't even use synthetic but I don't use factory recommended oil weight either, 5w20 is what it calls for but I found, I leak way too much oil if I were to use 5w20 and I use her to pull the boat as well so In spring I change to 10w30 and winter I run 5w30. It hardly leaks oil now and I change the oil every 8000 miles, because that is how long it takes for it to start to turn black. I think the only reason Ford went to 5w20 is gas mileage, although I really don't think it protects the motor as well as thicker oils when the engine is hot. That .5% of 1mpg better gas mpg you get for using 5w20 could cost even more, As we all know the harder you work an engine, The hotter it gets...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement