Cleaning Upper Intake Manifold - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2012, 12:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 17127
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2001 Ford Taurus SES Vulcan w/ AX4N
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
01vulcantaurus has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Cleaning Upper Intake Manifold

I was thinking about removing my UIM and spraying throttle body cleaner in there to remove any carbon residue which has built up over the years. Would this damage it, as it is plastic? Can you reuse the gaskets? Would this improve performance a noticeable amount or is it unlikely to be any different? Thanks.
01vulcantaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 02:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: A blue car
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

The intake is nylon-composite, so it should be fine with TB cleaner. Just don't try chlorinated brake cleaner on it. If you clean the runners, make sure the intake valves are closed before you spray and try to limit the amount of fluid used. You will have to turn the engine by hand to close the other valves and clean the other runners.

Cleaning the intake of carbon might improve throttle response and power a little bit, but it's not going to be anything earth shattering. You can probably reuse the gaskets, but I would put new ones on to be safe.
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement