|03-21-2012, 02:06 PM||#1 (permalink)|
How to change motor mounts/ transmission mounts on Gen4 Duratec?
Long due job needs to be done. Searched the forum but could not find a step-by-step instruction on replacing rear engine mount or transmission mount. Did find a post talking about replacing front engine mount and it involves radiator too.
Is there any simpler way/involving less parts to replace engine mounts (front and rear) and transmission mount? Car is an 01 SEL.
Thanks a lot.
|01-14-2013, 11:45 AM||#2 (permalink)|
DOHC Front Passenger Side Motor Mount Replacement (NOT FUN)
I have 2002 Sable-190K Miles and this is how I spent my Sunday....
2002 Mercury Sable Front Passenger Side Engine Mount Replacement
*****WARNING ENGINE BLOCK TAP (FEMALE PORTION) OR ENGINE MOUNT BOLTS MIGHT STRIP****
1) Get car on jack stands and chock rear tires.
2) Remove passenger side tire and wheel well cover
3) Remove plastic radiator shield.
4) Drain coolant from radiator VIA plastic nut DONíT BREAK IT!
5) Remove lower radiator hose
6) Soak (3) bolts for mount with PB Blaster overnight (Two Top One Bottom)
a. From the wheel well you can also shoot pb blaster in to the female portion engine mount holes
7) 15mm 12 POINT socket and 1/2 inch ratchet/breaker bar work best to remove and install bolts
a. Have both 15 MM shallow and deep sockets to see which works best
b. Have 3 inch or smaller Ĺ extension bar to see what works best
8) Loosen (2) 15MM bolts and REMOVE 21 MM nut from bottom of the mount
9) Jack up the engine 6 inches from the oil pan with a 8inch piece of 2 x 4 wood and jack
10) Remove 15mm bolts carefully soaking with lubricant the whole time. remove the 21 mm lower nut
11) Slide old engine mount from the wheel well
12) Clean female portion of block for mount with brake clean and coat with anti-seize
13) PRAY PRAY PRAY!!!! GET SOME HOLY WATER WHILE YOU ARE AT IT!!!!
14) Install new mount and put electric tape on lower nut thread ( so u donít strip when lowering engine later)
15) Hand tighten upper bolts
16) $#@&! I hit a wall trying to tighten upper bolts! WTF!!!!
17) Walked away for 10 minutes then SLOWLY tighten loosen, tighten loosen soaking with PB blaster the whole time and using a Ĺ breaker bar to tighten upper bolts. No exaggeration took me 30 minutes to install the upper bolts. I was waiting for the bolt to snap but never did.
18) TIGHTEN UPPER BOLTS ABOUT 90% THEN LOWER AND REMOVE JACK FROM OIL PAN
19) Finish tightening all mount bolts, reconnect hoses, and put everything else back
20) Fill coolant tank with anti-freeze, run engine, recheck coolant level
21) Go have a nice dinner cause you just save yourself $550.00 (local dealer charge for this job)
22) If you are unlucky and strip the female threads you can use a heli-coil or re-tap
Motorcraft mount is 150.00 I took a gamble and purchased the mount from AutoZone for 41.00.
Start to finish including cleanup took 4 hours.
|01-14-2013, 06:07 PM||#3 (permalink)|
Read my post on here on how to do the upper thru the wheelwell mount
Front mount requires removing lower radiator hose after draining coolant but is not so bad.
Other mount is a bitch. Took me hours to get ot off and the new one lined up after loosely attaching it to the motor,
Search on my ID and you should find it. Did that about a year ago.
|01-16-2013, 10:12 AM||#5 (permalink)|
Any advice on tackling this job?
Can I remove the mount without dropping the subframe and just
raise the engine via the oil pan?
Or Should i raise the engine from the transmssion?
I attached a PIC for reference of the the two brackets that need removing for everyones reference.
|01-18-2013, 07:21 AM||#6 (permalink)|
Transmission Mount Replacement
∑ PB Blaster
∑ Box End Wrenches: Metric Stubby, Regular, Long, Offset, & Self Ratcheting
∑ Metric Sockets
1) Chock tires, place car on jack stands, remove driver side tire
2) Remove Plastic fender shield
3) Place jack with 2 x 4 under oil pan for support
4) Loosen (2) LOWER tranny mount bracket bolts
5) Loosen (4) UPPER tranny mount bracket bolts
6 ) Jack up engine via ENGINE OIL pan an inch or so
7) REMOVE (2) LOWER tranny mount bracket bolts
8) REMOVE (4) UPPER tranny mount bracket bolts
9) Remove mount by wiggling toward the firewall
10) Once outside of the car remove mount from bracket (2) 10MM bolts
11) Install mount on lower bracket
12) Install lower and upper bracket by wiggling from the front of the car toward its resting place
If looking at the mount I removed it by wiggling toward the right and installed it by wiggling it from the left. Slow and steady wins this race just get in there and work it with your hands until it gets back in place. I found that putting both brackets on simultaneously worked easiest for me. Also I barely needed to raise the engine much to perform this job. The other mounts in this vehicle are much more difficult and required more engine movement with the jack. By the way replacing engine mounts stinks! I just did all (3) in the past week.
Last edited by GOBULLGO; 01-18-2013 at 07:49 AM.