Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Not Alternator, Battery or (30A Green)Fuse

7K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  00tec-satx 
#1 ·
I changed my spark plugs and cables.(I know spark plug cables are supposed to touch and electrical wires.) I recently had a CEL relating to the MAF sensor...replace MAF and then problem solved. Car would start every now and then...eventually just turning over and clicking. I jumped a car 3 weeks ago...I went to Wal-Mart to change the battery due to faultiness. I accidentally put the - and + the wrong way. Went to AutoZone and had battery charged. (No problems. :unsure:) I replaced the alternator and the same problem...just no clicking I think. I check the fuse under the hood relation to the alternator and that was fine. Any suggestions? :eek:

#2 ·
Don't know if this is gospel or just hearsay with Tauruses, but I was told by a mechanic I trust (and that ain't very many) that when the alternator is replaced, one should replace the voltage regulator as well. Had the same problem you have after replacing the alternator about twelve years ago and replacing the regulator fixed the no-start condition.

#4 ·
Was wondering about that after I posted. Mine's a separate unit, but mine's well older than yours too.

#10 ·
I know that AZ can test the starter.

I would do what I call a "systems check". Start at the battery cables and check every wire and connection. Sometimes you can tap on a starter solenoid with a hammer, and you can "fix' a sticky one temporarily. Check grounds, and make sure all the connections are clean and tight. A loose or dirty connection will feel warm or hot after you try to start the car a few times.

#11 ·
I will go try and bang on the starter....I must go to the store and rent out a jack for my car. Is it worth it to keep the new alternator in if the old one tests fine? I'm planning on going to the store and have my older alternator and starter tested.

#14 ·
WTF, so I replaced the starter relay with the Blow Motor relay and the car started?! I put the starter relay back in it's place and the car stared again. I should go to Oreily and see if the starter will work before I replace it. Was I supposed to take some fuses out to reset computer for alternator?

#15 ·
I replaced a starter on a vulcan last week. Owners asked me to come swap alternator (didnt give me any symptoms, just asked me to swap the part). Called me again the next day and said car wouldnt start (jumped fine the day before). I pulled battery, tested fine. Pulled starter and it spun up fine on the first test on the cables, but subsequent tests showed a very slow spin speed on the motor (bendix engaged fine). Most all auto parts stores can test it. You can do it in your driveway with some jumper cables as well (youtube probably has videos ). Before I replaced the starter, car exhibited clicks just like a low battery.

Pony up for your own jack instead of renting one. You wont regret it. Even harbor freight has sone decent jacks, but don't forget stands. There has always been a 10% off coupon for harbor freight in every sunday paper around here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.