Erratic Idle - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2012, 02:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 45920
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2007 Taurus SE, 3.0 V-6
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
davejonmarsh is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Erratic Idle, 2007 Vulcan 3.0

My 2007 Taurus, 3.0 Vulcan, has a very erratic idle. It goes anywhere from 600 to 750, up and down, very quickly and constantly. Otherwise, the car is running fine. The fuel mileage is still good. The A/C makes no difference. Every once in a while, the engine stumbles when idling, too. I don't know what to make of this -- if the car was an old one, I would say there was a vacuum leak. The car has 77,000 miles and has had meticulous maintenance. Any suggestions?

Last edited by davejonmarsh; 03-17-2012 at 03:19 AM. Reason: change title
davejonmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2012, 04:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 33869
Chapter: Pacific Northwest
Drives: 2000 Taurus SE 3.0 OHV Vulcan
Trader Score: 1 reviews
downhill is on a distinguished road

More meticulous maintenance and check the Idle Air Control on top of the Throttle body. Try cleaning with Mineral Spirits and Q-tip in the 2 holes in the bottom when removed. Put a new gasket on it. Mine only does that idle change when my A/C cycles when I am sitting at stops. When my controls for defrost are on it will do it and when the controls are on heat or vent it will not. My 2 are a 2000 flex and a 2003. Both Vulcans. Get good mileage with both.
downhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 36682
Drives: Sable LS Premium '03 Sable LS '01 Sable LS '03 Wagon
chartmaker is a splendid one to beholdchartmaker is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by downhill View Post
More meticulous maintenance and check the Idle Air Control on top of the Throttle body. Try cleaning with Mineral Spirits and Q-tip in the 2 holes in the bottom when removed. Put a new gasket on it. Mine only does that idle change when my A/C cycles when I am sitting at stops. When my controls for defrost are on it will do it and when the controls are on heat or vent it will not. My 2 are a 2000 flex and a 2003. Both Vulcans. Get good mileage with both.
Agree on Q-tip and mineal spirits. See pic. This I picked up at the JY and it was stuck. Hugely dirty, could not move the piston with a tooth pick. Cleaned with mineral spirits and Q-tips to remove the oily part. Then cleaned with household ammonia and Q-tips till visually clean. Oiled the arrow points and wiped the excess off with a Q-tip. Put on my Lin Cont and is working perfect for 6 weeks. If it continues after 6 months I will consider this method successful. Then I will consider putting the original back on the car.

-chart-

Last edited by chartmaker; 09-17-2014 at 08:38 AM.
chartmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 45920
Drives: 2007 Taurus SE, 3.0 V-6
davejonmarsh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default It wasn't the IAC or the PCV valve

I checked both the IAC and the PCV, and both were clean and functioning. I am stymied. No check engine light. Should I just cave in and take it to the mechanic to run codes for me? I am beginning to suspect it is something electrical.
davejonmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 18227
Drives: 1999 Taurus SE 3.0 Vulcan
901-Memphis has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Lots of Vulcan running rough issues. I have had more than my share in the past, what type of plugs are on it and what are their condition?
Old 06-04-2012, 12:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 14289
Chapter: West Coast
Drives: 2004 Mercury Sable GS / Vulcan
Trabucodom has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartmaker View Post
Agree on Q-tip and mineal spirits. See pic. This I picked up at the JY and it was stuck. Hugely dirty, could not move the piston with a tooth pick. Cleaned with mineral spirits and Q-tips to remove the oily part. Then cleaned with household ammonia and Q-tips till visually clean. Oiled the arrow points and wiped the excess off with a Q-tip. Put on my Lin Cont and is working perfect for 6 weeks. If it continues after 6 months I will consider this method successful. Then I will consider putting the original back on the car.

-chart-
Is the picture you posted from a duratec IAC? I have the vulcan engine, and the IAC I have does not have the spring and shaft extending to the 2nd hole as shown in the bottom portion of your picture.
Trabucodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ben
I Drive A Fuze

Member Number: 40467
Drives: 2004 SEL Duratec
Ben is a name known to allBen is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trabucodom View Post
Is the picture you posted from a duratec IAC? I have the vulcan engine, and the IAC I have does not have the spring and shaft extending to the 2nd hole as shown in the bottom portion of your picture.
Looks to be a Duratec IAC from pre 2004 cars, because mine looks completely different than that (2004 Duratec).

2012 Fusion Sport, 48k miles, White Platinum Tri-coat. Every option except nav. 28% tint, Diode Dynamics LEDs, Steeda CAI, Steeda 93 octane SCT Tune

[SOLD]2004 SEL Premium, 72,700 miles, Vibrant White. 35% Tint, K&N Panel filter, Remote Start, 4x Infinity Reference 6832cf, JVC KW-R800BT, Rockford Fosgate 501bd, Bazooka BT1014

The Toy
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 Vert, White, T5, built motor/driveline, race suspension, fast/loud as f*ck
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 10865
sheila is a glorious beacon of lightsheila is a glorious beacon of light

Above pic is of an iac, not pcv.
sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ben
I Drive A Fuze

Member Number: 40467
Drives: 2004 SEL Duratec
Ben is a name known to allBen is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheila View Post
Above pic is of an iac, not pcv.
Whoops! Just caught that mistake, thank you Shiela! I meant IAC, don't know why I put PCV

2012 Fusion Sport, 48k miles, White Platinum Tri-coat. Every option except nav. 28% tint, Diode Dynamics LEDs, Steeda CAI, Steeda 93 octane SCT Tune

[SOLD]2004 SEL Premium, 72,700 miles, Vibrant White. 35% Tint, K&N Panel filter, Remote Start, 4x Infinity Reference 6832cf, JVC KW-R800BT, Rockford Fosgate 501bd, Bazooka BT1014

The Toy
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 Vert, White, T5, built motor/driveline, race suspension, fast/loud as f*ck
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement