Erratic Idle - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter: Northeast
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 0
 
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Question Erratic Idle, 2007 Vulcan 3.0

My 2007 Taurus, 3.0 Vulcan, has a very erratic idle. It goes anywhere from 600 to 750, up and down, very quickly and constantly. Otherwise, the car is running fine. The fuel mileage is still good. The A/C makes no difference. Every once in a while, the engine stumbles when idling, too. I don't know what to make of this -- if the car was an old one, I would say there was a vacuum leak. The car has 77,000 miles and has had meticulous maintenance. Any suggestions?

Last edited by davejonmarsh; 03-17-2012 at 03:19 AM. Reason: change title
davejonmarsh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 04:07 AM
Devoted Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Montana
Chapter: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,190
Rep Power: 13
 
Trader Score: 1 reviews
More meticulous maintenance and check the Idle Air Control on top of the Throttle body. Try cleaning with Mineral Spirits and Q-tip in the 2 holes in the bottom when removed. Put a new gasket on it. Mine only does that idle change when my A/C cycles when I am sitting at stops. When my controls for defrost are on it will do it and when the controls are on heat or vent it will not. My 2 are a 2000 flex and a 2003. Both Vulcans. Get good mileage with both.
downhill is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 06:52 AM
Crazy Devoted Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NY State
Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6
Posts: 6,379
Rep Power: 67
     
Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by downhill View Post
More meticulous maintenance and check the Idle Air Control on top of the Throttle body. Try cleaning with Mineral Spirits and Q-tip in the 2 holes in the bottom when removed. Put a new gasket on it. Mine only does that idle change when my A/C cycles when I am sitting at stops. When my controls for defrost are on it will do it and when the controls are on heat or vent it will not. My 2 are a 2000 flex and a 2003. Both Vulcans. Get good mileage with both.
Agree on Q-tip and mineal spirits. See pic. This I picked up at the JY and it was stuck. Hugely dirty, could not move the piston with a tooth pick. Cleaned with mineral spirits and Q-tips to remove the oily part. Then cleaned with household ammonia and Q-tips till visually clean. Oiled the arrow points and wiped the excess off with a Q-tip. Put on my Lin Cont and is working perfect for 6 weeks. If it continues after 6 months I will consider this method successful. Then I will consider putting the original back on the car.

-chart-

Last edited by chartmaker; 09-17-2014 at 08:38 AM.
chartmaker is offline  
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter: Northeast
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 0
 
Trader Score: 0 reviews
It wasn't the IAC or the PCV valve

I checked both the IAC and the PCV, and both were clean and functioning. I am stymied. No check engine light. Should I just cave in and take it to the mechanic to run codes for me? I am beginning to suspect it is something electrical.
davejonmarsh is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 04:41 AM
Senior Member
 
901-Memphis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Chapter: Northeast
Posts: 664
Rep Power: 0
 
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Lots of Vulcan running rough issues. I have had more than my share in the past, what type of plugs are on it and what are their condition?

1999 Vulcan Sedan with 145k+
901-Memphis is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 12:31 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Trabuco Canyon, California
Chapter: West Coast
Posts: 76
Rep Power: 0
 
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by chartmaker View Post
Agree on Q-tip and mineal spirits. See pic. This I picked up at the JY and it was stuck. Hugely dirty, could not move the piston with a tooth pick. Cleaned with mineral spirits and Q-tips to remove the oily part. Then cleaned with household ammonia and Q-tips till visually clean. Oiled the arrow points and wiped the excess off with a Q-tip. Put on my Lin Cont and is working perfect for 6 weeks. If it continues after 6 months I will consider this method successful. Then I will consider putting the original back on the car.

-chart-
Is the picture you posted from a duratec IAC? I have the vulcan engine, and the IAC I have does not have the spring and shaft extending to the 2nd hole as shown in the bottom portion of your picture.
Trabucodom is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 10:22 PM
Ben
I Drive A Fuze
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Longmeadow, MA
Chapter: Northeast
Posts: 3,053
Rep Power: 30
  
Trader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trabucodom View Post
Is the picture you posted from a duratec IAC? I have the vulcan engine, and the IAC I have does not have the spring and shaft extending to the 2nd hole as shown in the bottom portion of your picture.
Looks to be a Duratec IAC from pre 2004 cars, because mine looks completely different than that (2004 Duratec).

2012 Fusion Sport, 56k miles, White Platinum Tri-coat. Every option except nav. 28% tint, Diode Dynamics LEDs, Steeda CAI, Steeda 93 octane SCT Tune, Steeda 22.5mm RSB, Magnaflow Catback, Enkei Raijin

[SOLD]2004 SEL Premium, 72,700 miles, Vibrant White. 35% Tint, K&N Panel filter, Remote Start, 4x Infinity Reference 6832cf, JVC KW-R800BT, Rockford Fosgate 501bd, Bazooka BT1014

The Toy
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 Vert, White, T5, built motor/driveline, race suspension, fast/loud as f*ck
Ben is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 10:45 PM
Crazy Devoted Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Chapter: Midwest
Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6
Posts: 17,196
Rep Power: 81
   
Trader Score: 1 reviews
Above pic is of an iac, not pcv.
sheila is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 10:46 PM
Ben
I Drive A Fuze
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Longmeadow, MA
Chapter: Northeast
Posts: 3,053
Rep Power: 30
  
Trader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheila View Post
Above pic is of an iac, not pcv.
Whoops! Just caught that mistake, thank you Shiela! I meant IAC, don't know why I put PCV

2012 Fusion Sport, 56k miles, White Platinum Tri-coat. Every option except nav. 28% tint, Diode Dynamics LEDs, Steeda CAI, Steeda 93 octane SCT Tune, Steeda 22.5mm RSB, Magnaflow Catback, Enkei Raijin

[SOLD]2004 SEL Premium, 72,700 miles, Vibrant White. 35% Tint, K&N Panel filter, Remote Start, 4x Infinity Reference 6832cf, JVC KW-R800BT, Rockford Fosgate 501bd, Bazooka BT1014

The Toy
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 Vert, White, T5, built motor/driveline, race suspension, fast/loud as f*ck
Ben is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome