Fuel filter is rusted on; NO TOOL FITS! - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 46343
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2001 Taurus DOHC S
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
red2200 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fuel filter is rusted on; NO TOOL FITS!

Car is 2001 DOHC 24 Duratec S-Type.

This is my parents car. I originally created the thread here:
2001 Taurus DOHC idle, power, vaccum problems
because of problems related to P0174.

I had some good responses from that thread. When I went out to work on it some more, I thought I'd look at the fuel filter. BTW, it is the three-port (nipple) filter.

It is the rustiest fuel filter I have ever seen! Flakes of rust dropped off of it with a rub. It is my bet that it is the original part.

Here's the problem--well two problems, really.

First: I've been using the plastic collar-type disconnect tool. I'm able to "snap" it onto the 5/16" fuel-tank-side connector so that its base is flush with the end of the connector. I wiggle and pull, but can't get it off. (Also, I don't want to damage the connector!)

I bought these plastic disconnect tools probably before the car was built.
Here's what it looks like:

This piece is the 5/16".
From the top of the base to the top is a little under 1/2" (~7/16")
The total height is ~ 10/16" (5/8").
Am I doing this right? It seems that the lip (or ridge) on the filter nipples would hold the legs of the tool apart. (In fact, it does when I try it on the new (unattached) filter.)
Are the legs long enough to disengage the fitting?
Having some trouble, I went and bought the scissors-type metal tool, but haven't had any luck with it. (Also, the business-end is no longer than the plastic piece.)

Second: For the front fuel line, there is only about 1cm (a little less, actually) of "gap" between the "quick-connect" fitting and the body of the fuel filter!!! Neither of these tools will fit in there!

Am I going crazy? I couldn't find the answer here or elsewhere on the inter-webs. Has nobody had this problem?

I'm not sure if the filter is actually the second filter the car's had, and if some yahoo put in an incorrect filter, but the new one looks like an exact match.

This (new fuel filter) could actually solve my P0174 problem. (I didn't bother with it before because I thought I would have had P0171, too, if it was the fuel filter!)

Help me!!!!
red2200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012, 05:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sorry, I should also have asked if there was a specific orientation that either tool has to be placed into the connector/fixture so that it will hit some sweet spot.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 36682
Drives: Sable LS Premium '03 Sable LS '01
chartmaker is a name known to allchartmaker is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by red2200 View Post
Car is 2001 DOHC 24 Duratec S-Type.

This is my parents car. I originally created the thread here:
2001 Taurus DOHC idle, power, vaccum problems
because of problems related to P0174.

I had some good responses from that thread. When I went out to work on it some more, I thought I'd look at the fuel filter. BTW, it is the three-port (nipple) filter.

It is the rustiest fuel filter I have ever seen! Flakes of rust dropped off of it with a rub. It is my bet that it is the original part.

Here's the problem--well two problems, really.

First: I've been using the plastic collar-type disconnect tool. I'm able to "snap" it onto the 5/16" fuel-tank-side connector so that its base is flush with the end of the connector. I wiggle and pull, but can't get it off. (Also, I don't want to damage the connector!)

I bought these plastic disconnect tools probably before the car was built.
Here's what it looks like:

This piece is the 5/16".
From the top of the base to the top is a little under 1/2" (~7/16")
The total height is ~ 10/16" (5/8").
Am I doing this right? It seems that the lip (or ridge) on the filter nipples would hold the legs of the tool apart. (In fact, it does when I try it on the new (unattached) filter.)
Are the legs long enough to disengage the fitting?
Having some trouble, I went and bought the scissors-type metal tool, but haven't had any luck with it. (Also, the business-end is no longer than the plastic piece.)

Second: For the front fuel line, there is only about 1cm (a little less, actually) of "gap" between the "quick-connect" fitting and the body of the fuel filter!!! Neither of these tools will fit in there!

Am I going crazy? I couldn't find the answer here or elsewhere on the inter-webs. Has nobody had this problem?

I'm not sure if the filter is actually the second filter the car's had, and if some yahoo put in an incorrect filter, but the new one looks like an exact match.

This (new fuel filter) could actually solve my P0174 problem. (I didn't bother with it before because I thought I would have had P0171, too, if it was the fuel filter!)

Help me!!!!
I replaced the original on '01 Sable this summer. No special tools needed for fuel lines. Just pull the hair pins, and pry the fuel lines off. I used a large flat screw driver to get them started. Mildly stuck but no big issue.

My issue was the bracket which was not going to come off. I pryed the filter out of the bracket and pushed the new one the old bracket and put a hose clamp around it.

The 3 holer is a bit awkward as the two rear lines get in each other's way.

-chart-
chartmaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

chart,

You're right. (I'm stupid, also.)
I could swear I read somewhere that this thing required the tool to remove the fittings.

I've got two of the three off. Front and outer-most rear (though this one left the little white plastic piece on the filter nipple! I'll try to salvage that once the filter is off).

The inner-most rear is really tough. It could be because I took off the bracket screw when I first started. I might have to re-connect it.

Thanks.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Quote:
chart,

You're right. (I'm stupid, also.)
I could swear I read somewhere that this thing required the tool to remove the fittings.

I've got two of the three off. Front and outer-most rear (though this one left the little white plastic piece on the filter nipple! I'll try to salvage that once the filter is off).

The inner-most rear is really tough. It could be because I took off the bracket screw when I first started. I might have to re-connect it.

Thanks.
See pic, this is a tool every one doing much on a car needs. It was intended to remove door panels, and pull plastic buttons like holds inner fenders secure and such. Works for pulling fuel filter lines. Do not know what it called but I use it much.

On mine, the bolt holding the bracket was so rusted there was no chance to get a socket on it. Could not see it anyway.

-chart-
Attached Thumbnails
Fuel filter is rusted on; NO TOOL FITS!-puller.jpg  
Old 03-07-2012, 07:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

chart,

LOL. Now you tell me!
Just got back from auto parts store to buy new clips (broke one).

I've seen that tool. Don't have one.

I've been trying to pull that last line off by inserting the 5/16" connector tool, holding the filter by its nipple (close to the filter), and using a large wire cutter/stripper to pry against the plastic line fitting (covered by the connector tool).
Old 03-07-2012, 09:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Does anybody know if I can just pull out the plastic fitting on the end of the fuel line, and then try to get the fitting and filter nipple apart?
Old 03-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Quote:
Does anybody know if I can just pull out the plastic fitting on the end of the fuel line, and then try to get the fitting and filter nipple apart?
See pic crummy as it is. Note the direction of the arrow on the hairpin to be pulled out, as the new one goes back in the same way, arrow pointing away from the filter.

If you do not have new clips, do not start, and they must be the same size clips. After pulling the old hairpin, be sure both legs come out, otherwise you have to push the broken leg through and out before removing the elbow.

If you put the new hairpin in the correct direction with the line off the filter, you should be able to push the fitting on the nipple and the pin will rachet and lock in place. Easier than putting it in after it is on the nipple.

-chart-
Attached Thumbnails
Fuel filter is rusted on; NO TOOL FITS!-fuelfilt.jpg  
Old 03-08-2012, 03:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

chartmaker,

Thanks, very much, for your reply. But, what I meant was leaving the fitting and the fuel filter connected, but removing the fitting from the fuel line. (I wanted to know that because the filter would have been detached from the vehicle at that time, and I'd be able to work at getting the plastic connector off the filter then.) Sorry I wasn't more clear.

Anyway, I did manage to finally pull the 3/8" line from the filter without doing that. I also damaged (badly) the part of the connector where the retaining clip goes in.

I just posted about the current state of affairs here:
Fuel Filter Trouble

The thing is gushing gas when pressurized, my hands are killing me, and my parents urging me to take it (tow it, more likely, at this point) to a shop.

Any advice would be much appreciated. (More details at the above thread.)
Thanks.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

Oh, yeah--I forgot to mention the "cap" above the o-ring on one of the 5/16" lines. But the details are in my post on the other thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement