Troubleshooting/resetting a P0420 Code - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 46309
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2006 Ford Taurus
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
JordanB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Troubleshooting/resetting a P0420 Code

I recently bought a 2006 Ford Taurus. I got it inspected after buying it, and it passed inspection and emissions. Took it home two days ago. Last night the check engine light came out, and when I got it scanned it gave a P0420 - which, from other forums, indicates catalytic converter problem, but also may be o2 sensors.

The car has been sitting for a while. One recommendation I got is to reset the code and drive it at highway speed for a while, and see if it comes back on, to see if it just might be a result of it sitting idle for some time.

So, the question I have is, how can I get the code reset? I've heard that you can do this by disconnecting the battery, but I've also heard people recommend that you NOT do this.

Thanks!
JordanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2012, 10:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 12182
Drives: a Taurus
danhasenauer has a spectacular aura about

The battery disconnect will usually do it, but I like to go to AAP, borrow their scanner and do it myself in their parking lot. Another nifty reason to invest in your own good quality handheld scanner.

'96 LX DOHC Moonlight Blue
Every option but the car phone
RIP 'Ol Blue - 09/2012
danhasenauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member Number: 21728
lee231 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I've got the same car. Having the somewhat problem, my code comes up after it been erased in about 3 or 4 days, I would guess that the dealer did the same for that car. Had the code erased just before you got the car. Read my problem on P0420 post, may help you.

Also that car has a problem with code that states multiple miss fires, there is a fix at the dealer that they reprogram it to widen the specs, it's in a tech bulletin, but I think they might charge for it. Lee
lee231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 889
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 94 Taurus GL 3.8L PEP204A 99 Ranger 4.0L 4dr 5spd auto Payload & Tow pkg
pawpaw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanB View Post
I recently bought a 2006 Ford Taurus. I got it inspected after buying it, and it passed inspection and emissions. Took it home two days ago. Last night the check engine light came out, and when I got it scanned it gave a P0420 - which, from other forums, indicates catalytic converter problem, but also may be o2 sensors.

The car has been sitting for a while. One recommendation I got is to reset the code and drive it at highway speed for a while, and see if it comes back on, to see if it just might be a result of it sitting idle for some time.

So, the question I have is, how can I get the code reset? I've heard that you can do this by disconnecting the battery, but I've also heard people recommend that you NOT do this.

Thanks!
The P0420 code is for the bank one cat efficiency being below threshold, which if the O2 sensor is ok, suggests a problem with cyl bank-1 cat converter.
All that said, cats don't usually just die prematurly, something usually causes their demise, so we need to look up stream for a cause, like a coolant leak, fuel trim problem, ect, that you would want to put right Before replacing the cat converter, lest the new one be put down too!!!!
SO, if you have other trouble codes, post All code Numbers you have.

Disconnecting the battery B- cable will erase the code, but will also wipe the KAM, which includes the fuel trim & base idle memory, so to prevent possible driveability problems, you'll want to at least do a cold & warm idle relearn routine listed here. http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/1358165-post4.html

More thoughts for consideration, let us know how it goes.

Details are trifles, but trifles make perfection & perfection is no trifle (Ben Franklin)
Our signature is a sign of a job completed, autograph your work with excellence.
pawpaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
I'm Watching You!

Member Number: 37681
Drives: 01 Sable Wagon Duratec
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sousa632 has much to be proud ofsousa632 has much to be proud ofsousa632 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee231 View Post
I've got the same car. Having the somewhat problem, my code comes up after it been erased in about 3 or 4 days, I would guess that the dealer did the same for that car. Had the code erased just before you got the car. Read my problem on P0420 post, may help you.

Also that car has a problem with code that states multiple miss fires, there is a fix at the dealer that they reprogram it to widen the specs, it's in a tech bulletin, but I think they might charge for it. Lee
The misfire is causing the p0420. Raw fuel dumping into the cat and clogging it, thereby causing an 'inefficiant flow' code. Mix the misfire, then worry about the cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement