2007 SEL Alternator going out? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
SUP

Member Number: 32145
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2007 Ford Taurus SEL
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
SUP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2007 SEL Alternator going out?

Got home from being out of town for 2 weeks. Cranked the 2007 Taurus SEL with 124,000 miles. Cranked a bit rough. Let it idle a bit and took off a few minutes later to get gasoline and food.

On the way to get gas and food, I noticed the dash lights were a bit dimmer than normal. I tried adjusting them / nothing improved it. After getting food and gas en route to the house, it got a bit worse. Even the air bag light came on.

The battery was replaced by Ford in Aug. 2010 and has a 5 year warranty. In the old days, this sounds like an alternator problem. I was not having any issues prior to returning from 2 weeks out of town however.

Any ideas out there or confirmation of my thoughts?

SUP
SUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 34059
Drives: 2005 Taurus SE- Vulcan 3.0 FFV
Trader Score: 3 reviews
CJpilot is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUP View Post
Got home from being out of town for 2 weeks. Cranked the 2007 Taurus SEL with 124,000 miles. Cranked a bit rough. Let it idle a bit and took off a few minutes later to get gasoline and food.

On the way to get gas and food, I noticed the dash lights were a bit dimmer than normal. I tried adjusting them / nothing improved it. After getting food and gas en route to the house, it got a bit worse. Even the air bag light came on.

The battery was replaced by Ford in Aug. 2010 and has a 5 year warranty. In the old days, this sounds like an alternator problem. I was not having any issues prior to returning from 2 weeks out of town however.

SUP
Sounds like the alternator.

Mine did that, but the battery light had been on for several hundred miles before it did this. Once it did start showing the symptoms you say, it only had maybe 25 miles before it died. It was the alternator, $250 for a new one from a local shop.

I would take it to a shop ASAP to have it checked...otherwise you may end up stranded.
1986 Cessna 172P- Lycoming O-320-DJ2
www.youtube.com/CJpilot316
CJpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member Number: 44887
Drives: 07 Taurus
Truck55 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

SUP
If you have the electronic message center you can check you alt voltage by entering the Engineering test mode.
hold the reset button and turn key to on ETM should come up on display. the first test will be the instument guage test. your guages will shake for a few then go all the way up and back down. you can start the car and toggle the reset switch until you get to the battery voltage. If the alternator is good you should have at least 14v with car running.
if not you have bad alt.

hope this helps

dan
Truck55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 1771
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 00 SEL Sedan DOHC
Trader Score: 7 reviews
Bull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bull Geek Send a message via MSN to Bull Geek

If you can, pop the alternator out and go get it tested.

I replaced a friends alternator on his 2007 Ford Taurus. Easy job, but sad that at 68K miles it had bad diodes.

-True Blue MC 2003 Lincoln Town Car | V8 SOHC/4R70W | 55K
-Silver Frost MC 2000 Ford Taurus SEL | V6 DOHC/AX4N | 198K
--Wood paneled 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | V8 OHV/AOD | 180K ish?
--Ugly Colored 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | V8 OHV/AOD | 303K miles!
Former...
'87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan
Bull Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
SUP

Looks like an easy replacement. I think I will just take it out in morning and run it down and have it tested. If it starts fine, I may run the check that Truck 55 describes as aI do have the electronic message center.

SUP
Old 01-02-2012, 10:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
I'm Watching You!

Member Number: 37681
Drives: 01 Sable Wagon Duratec
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sousa632 has much to be proud ofsousa632 has much to be proud ofsousa632 has much to be proud of

Get a multimeter and test voltage at the battery after starting. It should be 14.2v+. If it's not, the alternator is bad or the belt is slipping due to a bad tensioner or something else.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
SUP

Well I took out the alternator and took it to be tested. It was barely kicking in any volts. Bought a new one, put it on and it works. I also charged the battery while I was away and while I was doing the work. All is well and the indicator lights have gone off.

SUP
Old 01-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 35029
Drives: 1996 Sable LS, 3.0L V6 24V Duratec, AX4N GONE, RIP
SoNic67 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I also charged the battery while I was away and while I was doing the work. All is well and the indicator lights have gone off.

SUP
You did good that you charged the battery before starting the new alternator. See below why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Geek View Post
Easy job, but sad that at 68K miles it had bad diodes.
Usually those go out when the alternator tries to charge an empty battery - the current is too high for them in that case.
When the car sits for a long time, especially in cold temperatures, sometimes an old battery discharges too much. Or if a light is left on inside the car. And that empty battery takes down the alternator with it...

Last edited by SoNic67; 01-04-2012 at 09:08 PM.
SoNic67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
SUP

Did not know that. The battery was only a year old but the car set up for two weeks without being used. It was garaged however. My other vehicle cranked right up as did the Taurus but the Taurus did not hold the charge.

I just felt it would be better starting off with a recharged battery and new alternator. Glad I did!

SUP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement