2000 Taurus SEL duratec P0171/P0174 leading to P0301 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2011, 03:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 44105
Chapter: Northeast
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
gtw66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2000 Taurus SEL duratec P0171/P0174 leading to P0301

I think I am headed in the right direction but need to know possible cause of misfire.

History - 2000 taurus SEL duratec DOHC, 189,000 miles. I used to be a service advisor for Ford dealer and have done maintenance myself in the past on this car, bought it new in 2000. Engine had rough idle when engine is cold but ran fine when engine warmed up. Had this for a couple of months but just thought it was the IAC and would replace when I did my tune-up. On 11/30/11, CEL came on with P0171,P0174, P0301 and also had some vacuum leaks you could hear so on with the tune-up.

Replaced plugs (motorcraft), upper intake manifold gaskets, PCV valve (hose not cracked), replaced recirc vacuum lines from valve covers to side of air intake at the throttle body (both cracked completely disconnected).

Ran fine for a few days then CEL back on. Codes this time, P0401, P0171, P0174, P1504. Went ahead and replaced throttle pos. sensor and IAC but knew I was dealing with vacuum leak.

Ran good for a couple days and CEL back on. Codes now were P0122, P1504, P0171, P0174, P0301. Did not clear codes yet, wanted to change DPFE first.

Went today to purchase DPFE, not installed yet, however, went ahead and cleared all the codes today due to engine vibrating violently, and sputtering all gears and speeds. Felt like a misfire. CEL back on in a few miles and flashing this time, checked codes and got P0401 (have the DPFE to replace), and P0301.

I will replace the DPFE but I have kept getting this P0301 for cylinder #1 misfire even after I changed out the plugs.

My question is, does anyone think the EGR insufficient flow could cause one of the new plugs to foul or could the coil pack for #1 cylinder finally have gone bad and just be a coincidence? Or will this improve with changing the DPFE? I don't want to throw a new coil pack at it if it could all just be from the DPFE or a clogged EGR (although EGR did not looked clogged when I changed the plugs).

Sorry for the long post but wanted to give all the background info.
gtw66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2011, 04:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 36682
Drives: Sable LS Premium '03 Sable LS '01 Sable LS '03 Wagon
chartmaker is a splendid one to beholdchartmaker is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtw66 View Post
I think I am headed in the right direction but need to know possible cause of misfire.

History - 2000 taurus SEL duratec DOHC, 189,000 miles. I used to be a service advisor for Ford dealer and have done maintenance myself in the past on this car, bought it new in 2000. Engine had rough idle when engine is cold but ran fine when engine warmed up. Had this for a couple of months but just thought it was the IAC and would replace when I did my tune-up. On 11/30/11, CEL came on with P0171,P0174, P0301 and also had some vacuum leaks you could hear so on with the tune-up.

Replaced plugs (motorcraft), upper intake manifold gaskets, PCV valve (hose not cracked), replaced recirc vacuum lines from valve covers to side of air intake at the throttle body (both cracked completely disconnected).

Ran fine for a few days then CEL back on. Codes this time, P0401, P0171, P0174, P1504. Went ahead and replaced throttle pos. sensor and IAC but knew I was dealing with vacuum leak.

Ran good for a couple days and CEL back on. Codes now were P0122, P1504, P0171, P0174, P0301. Did not clear codes yet, wanted to change DPFE first.

Went today to purchase DPFE, not installed yet, however, went ahead and cleared all the codes today due to engine vibrating violently, and sputtering all gears and speeds. Felt like a misfire. CEL back on in a few miles and flashing this time, checked codes and got P0401 (have the DPFE to replace), and P0301.

I will replace the DPFE but I have kept getting this P0301 for cylinder #1 misfire even after I changed out the plugs.

My question is, does anyone think the EGR insufficient flow could cause one of the new plugs to foul or could the coil pack for #1 cylinder finally have gone bad and just be a coincidence? Or will this improve with changing the DPFE? I don't want to throw a new coil pack at it if it could all just be from the DPFE or a clogged EGR (although EGR did not looked clogged when I changed the plugs).

Sorry for the long post but wanted to give all the background info.
For a specific cylinder misfire, I would pull the plug and check it, as well as ohm the plug wire. Wait, on 2000 you likely have COP and no wires. If that is the case maybe one coil if the plug is OK. In addition, maybe fuel injector connection for that one cylinder.

For EGR others have posted to remove the vacuum line to the EGR valve. Idle the engine, put a hose on the diaphragm and suck on it. It should hold a vacuum and kill the engine or at lease make it idle really rough.

And a side note. New plugs are not necessarily better than the old ones. Bad quality comes in all brands. I posted a pic recently in the gereral discussion about Autolite with a picture, two differene kinds of plugs with the same number, and one misassembled with a long ceramic. I returned them. Ford brand may be better quality, maybe not.

-chart-
chartmaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2011, 08:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 1771
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 00 SEL Sedan DOHC
Trader Score: 7 reviews
Bull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bull Geek Send a message via MSN to Bull Geek

Surprised to read that you did not replace the lower intake gasket. That has been known to leak in unmetered air with age. Could be the cause of your vacuum leak.

-Silver Frost MC 2000 Ford Taurus SEL | V6 DOHC/AX4N | 198K - FOR SALE, See Thread: click

former '87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan
Bull Geek is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2011, 09:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 10865
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sheila is a name known to allsheila is a name known to all

^+1. 2000 tec is cop (coil on plug). I vote for a new #1 coil and boot for the po301 flashing misfire code. Then, clear all codes. If po171/174 lean codes reappear, suspect lim gasket. Also, swap out that dpfe. When faulty, they have a tendency to display a myriad of unrelated codes. I recommend the borg-warner dpfe from advance auto or oreilly. Part#egr631 or #egr155 depending on the style your 2000 tec has (build date).

Last edited by sheila; 12-15-2011 at 09:10 PM.
sheila is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2012, 11:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 39045
Drives: 2000 LX OHV Gas 3.0
ismith is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, I'm having some of the same probs with my 2000 Vulcan. I'm getting P0171, P0113, P0122, and P0301 and the dreaded rough idle. I've seafoamed it, changed the plugs, and cleaned the MAF but no improvement. I've tap tested my IAC (good) and I've spray tested for vac leaks to no avail. I'm at my wits end now and I don't trust shops. Don't think coil pack needs to be changed out. ~15.5 Kohms between towers and ~2.3 ohms between pins. I'm praying it comes to me in my sleep or something. I'll post what I find. How's your heating / cooling? Any issues there? My condenser's on the blink and my temp gauge takes long to get up to normal. Never fully warms up on my short drives. Flushed system / heater core - heat's good. Electrical is floating around the outer edges of my mind....Good luck with yours.

Last edited by ismith; 01-11-2012 at 11:35 PM.
ismith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2012, 11:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 16947
Drives: 2005 Sable LE (Mable) 2000 Taurus SEL (Bull)
76tiger has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I have replaced three of coil on plugs on my 2000 SEL in the last three years because of misfires.

Easy way to find out is to move the coil from 1 to say 4. If the code moves to the other spot, you found the problem. And you can get to plug 4 just a bit faster.
76tiger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 07:39 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member Number: 1435
Drives: 03 Sable LS 24v
repairman54 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76tiger View Post
I have replaced three of coil on plugs on my 2000 SEL in the last three years because of misfires.

Easy way to find out is to move the coil from 1 to say 4. If the code moves to the other spot, you found the problem. And you can get to plug 4 just a bit faster.
2X
Moving the coil to another cylinder is a quick and easy check with the COP. I just had my #2 go bad on New Years day BTW, it was my 2nd COP to go in 203k miles.
Misfire is the first thing to fix, then see what other codes pop up after that.
'07 Mustang GT 3 pedals
'05 Sable 24v son's
'99 Yukon
'01 FLHR
Ski Doo's
Sea Doo
'88 Bull 170k rust & trans = junked
'94 Bull 160k sold while still running
'00 Sable wagon 24v 212k sold running fine
repairman54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 08:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member Number: 30020
Drives: 2000
rabbitdog is an unknown quantity at this point

The rubber elbow that connects the metal tube coming up from the PVC valve to the underside of the throttle body deteriorates and gets a crack in it. This is a common reason for the P0171, P0174 codes.
rabbitdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.