Check charging system light and battery picture lit up - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2011, 08:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 44104
Chapter: Northeast
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Bluegrass Lady is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Check charging system light and battery picture lit up

Hi Everyone, I am new on this site and I am having an issue with this new to me , But used and in really good shape 2007 Ford Taurus SEL Check charging system light stays on all the time now.. Also the little battery picture stays lighted up as well. Car runs great... Had all kinds of test run on the battery and alternator and all is well...This thing is weird... I have an old 99 Ford Taurus with 220,000 miles on it and it still runs great and never an issue like this ever...There are no noises at all coming from any belts. nothing... any ideas ,,, all suggestions are welcome,,,, Thanks
Connie
Bluegrass Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2011, 01:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 35327
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2007 sel
Trader Score: 2 reviews
Bigdogg2830 is a jewel in the rough

to start. the 07 has an etm feature. this will allow you to get real time data about the charging system. also. being an 07 i can almost tell you without any doubt that it is time for a battery. the ford factory batteries are garbage. click on the link and you will it will teach you how to get into the etm. when you get to the charging system the voltage will be displayed and should stay above 14 at idle and while driving. if it drops then there is an issue. as far as testing.. I hate to say this but some auto part stores hire people that do not know anything about cars. like autozone. so post back with what you find from this test and we can point you in the right direction. here is the link
Experimenting With Engineering Test Mode
welcome to the forum.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 36682
Drives: Sable LS Premium '03 Sable LS '01
chartmaker is a name known to allchartmaker is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdogg2830 View Post
to start. the 07 has an etm feature. this will allow you to get real time data about the charging system. also. being an 07 i can almost tell you without any doubt that it is time for a battery. the ford factory batteries are garbage. click on the link and you will it will teach you how to get into the etm. when you get to the charging system the voltage will be displayed and should stay above 14 at idle and while driving. if it drops then there is an issue. as far as testing.. I hate to say this but some auto part stores hire people that do not know anything about cars. like autozone. so post back with what you find from this test and we can point you in the right direction. here is the link
welcome to the forum.
"ford factory batteries are garbage"

I have had several factory issue on used cars, one on new car, and I expect about 7 years then new one but I use what Sams Club sells.

In my '02 Lin bought new, I left it with the dealer for wiring that was running the bat down and told him to not let it sit outside and freeze. He did, it did, warrenty paid, I replaced that one at 7 years for security.

My '03 factory battery failed April '2011.

-chart-
chartmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 10865
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sheila is a glorious beacon of lightsheila is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome, Connie!
sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 42618
Drives: 2004 Taurus 6-cylinder
astroford is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartmaker View Post
"ford factory batteries are garbage"

My '03 factory battery failed April '2011.

-chart-
Similar experience. Our '04 factory battery (probably sold in the fall of '03) failed in October 2011.

As everyone knows, they commonly fail right at the beginning of a spell of cold weather, on the first day that is a lot colder than the previous days. So 'tis the season.
astroford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 1435
Drives: 03 Sable LS 24v
repairman54 is on a distinguished road

OEM batteries are only 5yr (60 month).
More that the warranty period is all that can be expected nowadays.
'07 Mustang GT 3 pedals
'05 Sable 24v son's
'99 Yukon
'01 FLHR
Ski Doo's
Sea Doo
'88 Bull 170k rust & trans = junked
'94 Bull 160k sold while still running
'00 Sable wagon 24v 212k sold running fine
repairman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:49 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member Number: 43819
Chapter: Eastern Canada
Drives: '11 Taurus SHO-loaded with tune/intake
Showgun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lady View Post
Hi Everyone, I am new on this site and I am having an issue with this new to me , But used and in really good shape 2007 Ford Taurus SEL Check charging system light stays on all the time now.. Also the little battery picture stays lighted up as well. Car runs great... Had all kinds of test run on the battery and alternator and all is well...This thing is weird... I have an old 99 Ford Taurus with 220,000 miles on it and it still runs great and never an issue like this ever...There are no noises at all coming from any belts. nothing... any ideas ,,, all suggestions are welcome,,,, Thanks
Connie
Welcome Connie,
Not too familiar with your issue but have enough experience to believe that the battery suggestion is a good one and probably the best place to start.

G/L with repairs and enjoying the '07 Bull.
C.

Taurus SHO - Tune and Intake
C6 'Vette GS - Intake - Headers, Exhaust tune Spring of '12
Fiesta - wife's
Showgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 36682
Drives: Sable LS Premium '03 Sable LS '01
chartmaker is a name known to allchartmaker is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lady View Post
Connie
I do not buy the idea of battery. The light get's a signal from the alternator regulator and another from the ignition switch. If they do not match, the bulb lights. If it does not light, it just means the alternator is doing something, not that it is right or wrong, just doing something. A simple voltmeter across the battery posts should show ~14 volts at idle with nothing on in the car, like lights, climate control. Most likely 14.4 or such depending on the temperature and such.

With the lights on more likely the measured voltage at idle will be around 13V, and with high idle speed again over 14V.

If the battery voltage is OK, then safe to drive with the light on.

It could also 'light' with a bad ignition switch or shorted wire.

-chart-
chartmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Smile

[QUOTE=Bigdogg2830;1661441]to start. the 07 has an etm feature. this will allow you to get real time data about the charging system. also. being an 07 i can almost tell you without any doubt that it is time for a battery. the ford factory batteries are garbage. click on the link and you will it will teach you how to get into the etm. when you get to the charging system the voltage will be displayed and should stay above 14 at idle and while driving. if it drops then there is an issue. as far as testing.. I hate to say this but some auto part stores hire people that do not know anything about cars. like autozone. so post back with what you find from this test and we can point you in the right direction. here is the link
( Graet Thank you so much! ) Battery reading 14.6 -14.7 back and fourth and part number 5F1T-HA came up? What does this mean? It found the issue?
Old 12-27-2011, 10:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement