03 Taurus missing at idle problem... - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2011, 09:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 43603
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2003 Taurus Centennial Edition
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
frenchrl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 03 Taurus missing at idle problem...

2003 Taurus SEL Duratec (centennial edition)
80k miles

I had noticed a slight miss at idle mainly at stop lights, then one day in a pouring rain storm the miss went crazy, sputtering
and missing horribly and the check engine light even came on, then went off after about 10min. I was able to reproduce this again with a spray bottle by spraying water 5-6 squirts on the back plugs, bam,,,missing like crazy and after a couple minutes stopped.

The cel code was for misfire cylinder #3 under 1000 RPM or something like that.

So, I replaced the plugs and wires and it was fine for a couple days now it's started up again, it runs great, starts easy but at stop lights there is a miss, occasionally there is a miss on acceleration but it's rare. Put it in park and it's almost completely gone.
I am assuming now I need to replace the coil pack?

Also....
There is a tube right under the throttle body with a elbow\bend, big on one end littler on the other, this tube does have a small hole in it. I was wondering if this could cause the problem? throw a misfire code?

Thanks for any and all help!!!
-rich
frenchrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2011, 10:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 36682
Drives: Sable LS Premium '03 Sable LS '01
chartmaker is a glorious beacon of lightchartmaker is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchrl View Post
2003 Taurus SEL Duratec (centennial edition)
80k miles

I had noticed a slight miss at idle mainly at stop lights, then one day in a pouring rain storm the miss went crazy, sputtering
and missing horribly and the check engine light even came on, then went off after about 10min. I was able to reproduce this again with a spray bottle by spraying water 5-6 squirts on the back plugs, bam,,,missing like crazy and after a couple minutes stopped.

The cel code was for misfire cylinder #3 under 1000 RPM or something like that.

So, I replaced the plugs and wires and it was fine for a couple days now it's started up again, it runs great, starts easy but at stop lights there is a miss, occasionally there is a miss on acceleration but it's rare. Put it in park and it's almost completely gone.
I am assuming now I need to replace the coil pack?

Also....
There is a tube right under the throttle body with a elbow\bend, big on one end littler on the other, this tube does have a small hole in it. I was wondering if this could cause the problem? throw a misfire code?

Thanks for any and all help!!!
-rich
Issues are not related. Any change with sparying water is ignition. Since you replaced the wires, likely a coil pack.

The elbow for the PCV is really important for engine life and performance. The valve and the hose.

Se pic for Motorcraft upgraded assembly from RockAuto.

-chart-
Attached Thumbnails
03 Taurus missing at idle problem...-pcvhose.jpg  
chartmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 10865
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sheila is a glorious beacon of lightsheila is a glorious beacon of light

^+1 with Chart! Check/replace coil pack and pcv valve and hose assy.

Last edited by sheila; 11-15-2011 at 06:21 PM.
sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 889
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 94 Taurus GL 3.8L PEP204A 99 Ranger 4.0L 4dr 5spd auto Payload & Tow pkg
pawpaw is a jewel in the rough

Edit: Welcome to TCCA.

^ + 1 on Chartmakers nice post.
Try spritzing just the coil pack & see what happens. If no joy, I suppose you could have damaged a wire or plug during installation, or maybe got a bad new wire or plug. I had a similar problem on my then new 99 Ranger, Dealer did a wet down test & found the #6 plug external insulator cracked!!!!

If you'll do the wetdown test at night, it'll show problem areas we can't see in daylight.
You don't want to put this off, as the misfire is dumping raw fuel into the cat converter, which will cuse it to overheat & shorten it's life.
Some autoparts stores can bench test the coilpack at no cost, if your still in doubt about it.

For sure get the PCV elbo with the hole in it fixed, as it's letting the engine breath in unfiltered & unmetered air & is corrupting the air/fuel mixture & KAM fuel trim tables, so you may want to remove the battery B- cable when beginning the repair, to wipe the computers KAM, so it can begin building new fuel trim tables & since a unmetered vacuum leak will also corrupt the KAM's idle strategy, perhaps take the time to go through the cold & warm idle relearn routine, to prevent possible driveability problems.

More thoughts for consideration, let us know what you find.

Details are trifles, but trifles make perfection & perfection is no trifle (Ben Franklin)
Our signature is a sign of a job completed, autograph your work with excellence.

Last edited by pawpaw; 11-15-2011 at 11:38 AM.
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default appreciate the responses..

appreciate the responses..

I will def. replace the elbow, glad to know what it is now :-)
and do another spray down check on the coil pack before replacing just to make sure it still repeats the missing problem.
Will replace all this weekend.

Thanks again,
Old 11-15-2011, 01:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 31398
Drives: Current 2002 SES 3.0L Have owned 1989 and 1993 wagons, and a 1996 GL,
SPUD54 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Frenchrl's Problem Similar to Mine??

See my post a little farther down the page. P0303 Code. This morning there was heavy dew and this same issue started right away. However, did not clear up but did get slightly better. When it last occurred there was heavy rain. Not trying to read more into this situation but why would a coil pack work fine, and then not work fine. Or is that an immediate indication of a bad pack?

The check engine light continually flashes. Does not stay on. I'll have to check the PCV valve as well. What's a coil pack usually run?
SPUD54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 889
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 94 Taurus GL 3.8L PEP204A 99 Ranger 4.0L 4dr 5spd auto Payload & Tow pkg
pawpaw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchrl View Post
appreciate the responses..

I will def. replace the elbow, glad to know what it is now :-)
and do another spray down check on the coil pack before replacing just to make sure it still repeats the missing problem.
Will replace all this weekend.

Thanks again,
The coilpack is known to crack underneath out of sight & breakdown, so raise it to ground probe, or spray it there if no response topside.

Details are trifles, but trifles make perfection & perfection is no trifle (Ben Franklin)
Our signature is a sign of a job completed, autograph your work with excellence.
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

I would get the borg-warner coil from advance auto. Part#E260. $73.99. Lifetime warranty.

Last edited by sheila; 11-15-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:52 AM   #9 (permalink)

Default replaced coil pack..EGR gasket question..

I got everything done and replaced the coil pack with a Borg a Warner one..so far so good. Started good, no miss at idle but I have a question before I take off in it to really test it out.

The EGR, is there supposed to be two gaskets? when I took it off there was only one, on the bottom part, the top had no gasket..is this a problem?

Thanks guys for all the help.

-rich
Old 11-19-2011, 09:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Dunno on your 03 tec. My 98-99 tecs have egr valve gaskets top and bottom. Maybe its because of the composite (plastic) intake? Mine are metal. Have valve location and attachment method changed from the gen3s?

Last edited by sheila; 11-19-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement