Car won't start, possible starter relay issue?? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2011, 06:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 43204
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2003 Ford Taurus OHV Vulcan
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
josh101689 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car won't start, possible starter relay issue??

I have been working on my 03 VIN U Vulcan all day and now I'm stuck.

This morning my car wouldn't start. It ran fine yesterday other than the occasional slow start up. The lights would come on and all the dashboard lights but it wouldn't turn over at all. I immediately thought it was the starter because of the way it had been starting the last few months.

So i took the starter out and got it tested. Autozone said it was good. They ran it twice. I took it to Advanced Auto. They said it was good but had a bad bearing because of a rattle when she would shake it.

They suggested to check the battery. I bought the battery back in July but brought it in to be checked anyway to see if maybe it was the alternator. Battery tested perfect.

Then they suggested to check the starter relay, then the ignition switch, and then the wires. I swapped out the 40A starter relay with the 40A cooling fan relay and it started right up. I shut it off and tried to start it again and it didnt start. I then swapped the 40A ABS module pump feed fuse with the 40A starter relay. It started fine so I drove it over to Autozone to get 2 new 40A fuses.

When I pulled up I checked under the hood and it smelled like an electrical burning mixed with a radiator smell I have smelled before. It appeared to be semi-smoking but I wasnt quite sure.

I went and got 2 new 40A fuses and placed them in the ABS spot and the starter spot. It started fine and didnt smell but the ABS light was still on so I turned it off. But when i got out of the car and touched the metal of the door I felt a slight shock. I restarted it and got out and got shocked again and the ABS light wouldnt turn off. I turned it off got out and swapped the fuses. Tried to start it and it wouldnt start. Tried again, and again, and again, and it wouldnt start.

I got back under the car and made sure the wires to the starter werent touching each other. I even took them off again and put them back on at different angles. I just sat there for a few minutes thinking about what could fry the fuses so quickly. Then I started it again and it started right up. I took it over to Advanced and they had no idea what it was. I started and stopped it there 3 times and it was good. I went and got gas started it again and it was good. Got home and turned it off and tried to restart it and it wont start......

I am soooooo confused. My dad was messing with the fuses when I was under the car so I'm not sure where the old one is now. Could it just be too hot because the cooling fan relay is blown? All the positive wires from the battery arent touching anything other than the starter. The ground wires all seem to be secure. Advanced said the shock was from friction and cold weather but I get shocked everytime which is why I think it has something to do with the ground.

I really dont know alot about cars but I try and fix what I can because I dont have alot of money. Any advice would be great because I dont know what to do.

Josh
josh101689 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2011, 10:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Grounding issue?????

I just went back out to my car and tried to start it again. It started perfectly. I shut it off and started it again. Third time it didnt start. Seems to be pretty habitual. I then went and swapped the starter motor relay #23 with the fan relay #24. It didnt start. Someone please help. Im supposed to work tomorrow
Old 10-31-2011, 11:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

Anyone?????????
Old 10-31-2011, 02:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default Fixed!

I went and bought a multimeter this morning and ran a few tests with the wire to the ignition switch and the wire to the battery. Everything had well over 12 volts to start the solenoid so I went and bought the starter. TA-DAH!! It runs like a champ. All the fuses and relays are in good working order. WOOHOO!!!

Thanks for helping......................NOT!!!! I thought that's what this website was for! So i guess we should just all not help anyone with their issues and hope a computer does it instead.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 36469
Drives: sable se, 03,
scooter5 is infamous around these parts

I wasn't able to get on the internet until now to check the forum. You need to be patient. People on the forum will help and respond if they feel confident, to some degree. Just go back and look at all the responses that people made to other inquiries made, they must substantiate that people do help.

But it must feel good that you did figure it out by yourself. I'm glad for you.
scooter5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2011, 01:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

^+1 You get what you pay for. Sometimes people aren't on for a few days due to life. If I don't get a response to my questions as soon as I would like, I just try to spend the time searching through other posts to try and find something similar. In your case I think a few people would have been thrown by the fact that your starter tested good twice so we didn't have any good ideas to post back. Intermittent problems are tough for all of us to solve. It would help if more people came back and contributed to the forum a few times instead of just abandoning it when they get their problem solved. Sometimes I feel like this forum is running on a 3-4 man crew most of the time.

There's a lot of good help on this site still, and we would be happy to answer any other questions you might have. Hopefully you'll get a lucky a little faster next time. Good job figuring out the problem on your own though. More power to ya!
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2011, 03:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 35327
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2007 sel
Trader Score: 2 reviews
Bigdogg2830 is a jewel in the rough

Josh... your starter had a dead spot. just cause it tested good twice doesnt mean the starter is good. Next time go to a good parts store. A good parts store would of tested it more then 2x because of the chance it had a dead spot. sometimes it take 20 times to get it to the dead spot.
npw lets talk about the smell. your car should smell like buning electrical or radiator ( coolant ) I guess you have a leak somewhere. maybe you should track that down before you end up overheating and blowing the engine.
why is the relay blown for the fan? maybe the burning wire smell could be a clue.
as far as getting a shock... static, this is why you do not reenter the car when refueling.
Bigdogg2830 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member Number: 48109
Drives: 2003 Taurus SE
davlys is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Starter problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdogg2830 View Post
Josh... your starter had a dead spot. just cause it tested good twice doesnt mean the starter is good. Next time go to a good parts store. A good parts store would of tested it more then 2x because of the chance it had a dead spot. sometimes it take 20 times to get it to the dead spot.
npw lets talk about the smell. your car should smell like buning electrical or radiator ( coolant ) I guess you have a leak somewhere. maybe you should track that down before you end up overheating and blowing the engine.
why is the relay blown for the fan? maybe the burning wire smell could be a clue.
as far as getting a shock... static, this is why you do not reenter the car when refueling.
If his starter had a dead spot, would he hear the solenoid click when trying to start. I am having a similar problem. My Taurus started fine after replacing the battery. The next time I tried to start it - nothing. Battery is strong. No clicking from the solenoid.
davlys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.