I have been working on my 03 VIN
U Vulcan all day and now I'm stuck.
This morning my car wouldn't start. It ran fine yesterday other than the occasional slow start up. The lights would come on and all the dashboard lights but it wouldn't turn over at all. I immediately thought it was the starter because of the way it had been starting the last few months.
So i took the starter out and got it tested. Autozone said it was good. They ran it twice. I took it to Advanced Auto. They said it was good but had a bad bearing because of a rattle when she would shake it.
They suggested to check the battery. I bought the battery back in July but brought it in to be checked anyway to see if maybe it was the alternator. Battery tested perfect.
Then they suggested to check the starter relay, then the ignition switch, and then the wires. I swapped out the 40A starter relay with the 40A cooling fan relay and it started right up. I shut it off and tried to start it again and it didnt start. I then swapped the 40A ABS
module pump feed fuse with the 40A starter relay. It started fine so I drove it over to Autozone to get 2 new 40A fuses.
When I pulled up I checked under the hood and it smelled like an electrical burning mixed with a radiator smell I have smelled before. It appeared to be semi-smoking but I wasnt quite sure.
I went and got 2 new 40A fuses and placed them in the ABS
spot and the starter spot. It started fine and didnt smell but the ABS
light was still on so I turned it off. But when i got out of the car and touched the metal of the door I felt a slight shock. I restarted it and got out and got shocked again and the ABS
light wouldnt turn off. I turned it off got out and swapped the fuses. Tried to start it and it wouldnt start. Tried again, and again, and again, and it wouldnt start.
I got back under the car and made sure the wires to the starter werent touching each other. I even took them off again and put them back on at different angles. I just sat there for a few minutes thinking about what could fry the fuses so quickly. Then I started it again and it started right up. I took it over to Advanced and they had no idea what it was. I started and stopped it there 3 times and it was good. I went and got gas started it again and it was good. Got home and turned it off and tried to restart it and it wont start......
I am soooooo confused. My dad was messing with the fuses when I was under the car so I'm not sure where the old one is now. Could it just be too hot because the cooling fan relay is blown? All the positive wires from the battery arent touching anything other than the starter. The ground wires all seem to be secure. Advanced said the shock was from friction and cold weather but I get shocked everytime which is why I think it has something to do with the ground.
I really dont know alot about cars but I try and fix what I can because I dont have alot of money. Any advice would be great because I dont know what to do.