AWFUL squealing coming from belt area! - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2011, 02:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 21462
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
dkm16 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Angry AWFUL squealing coming from belt area!

Here's my problem with my 2001 ford taurus 3.0 vulcan from start to finish. Several months ago a squealing noise started on rainy days. When I would start the car up it would be a pulsating squeal, and as I accelerated the squeal would increase from a pulse to a constant (and REALLY loud) squeal. I replace the belt and AC compressor after the compressor froze on me, and still had a squeal from time to time. I gave up on fixing it and just let it go for about 4 months. Then, about 2-3 weeks ago I was driving and all of a sudden my airbag light, parking brake, and ABS lights came on and the car started to run real rough. I pulled into a parking spot and shut the car off. Then when I went to restart it... DEAD battery. Replace the battery and drove about 25 miles to pittsburgh the next day and the same thing happened. After I killed the new battery I replace the alternator and though I still had the squeal everything seemed to be working great. My windows went up and down extremely fast (before they would slowly creep up and sometimes even get stuck, and my headlights would dim excessively when i turned on the air, heat, used the power windows, and everytime my amplifier for my subwoofer would hit a note). after replacing the alternator none of this dimming happened, everything seemed perfect. About 2 days later the windows started moving slowly again and my headlights dim.. sometimes my amplifier will just turn off if I have the heat on while playing my music. I am wondering if this awful squealing sound is playing a significant role here. I have also taken off the belt and spun the idler and tensioner pulleys and they don't seem to be a problem at all. Is it possible that the belt is just slipping and as a result isn't turning the pulleys the correct amount and that is directly attributing to my loss in battery power? What do you guys think? I'm really in no position to go spending lots of money trying to replace pulleys and what not, but at the same time I don't want to replace the belt if that surely isn't the problem. I have read several threads on here regarding similar problems and was curios about the gatorback belts. Should I perhaps try one of these belts first to see if it solves my problem, or do you think it's one of the pulleys? In advance, thanks for all the help everyone!
dkm16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2011, 06:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 3136
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 1998 LX black Vulcan 1997 SE black Vulcan
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
soundu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkm16 View Post
Here's my problem with my 2001 ford taurus 3.0 vulcan from start to finish. Several months ago a squealing noise started on rainy days. When I would start the car up it would be a pulsating squeal, and as I accelerated the squeal would increase from a pulse to a constant (and REALLY loud) squeal. I replace the belt and AC compressor after the compressor froze on me, and still had a squeal from time to time. I gave up on fixing it and just let it go for about 4 months. Then, about 2-3 weeks ago I was driving and all of a sudden my airbag light, parking brake, and ABS lights came on and the car started to run real rough. I pulled into a parking spot and shut the car off. Then when I went to restart it... DEAD battery. Replace the battery and drove about 25 miles to pittsburgh the next day and the same thing happened. After I killed the new battery I replace the alternator and though I still had the squeal everything seemed to be working great. My windows went up and down extremely fast (before they would slowly creep up and sometimes even get stuck, and my headlights would dim excessively when i turned on the air, heat, used the power windows, and everytime my amplifier for my subwoofer would hit a note). after replacing the alternator none of this dimming happened, everything seemed perfect. About 2 days later the windows started moving slowly again and my headlights dim.. sometimes my amplifier will just turn off if I have the heat on while playing my music. I am wondering if this awful squealing sound is playing a significant role here. I have also taken off the belt and spun the idler and tensioner pulleys and they don't seem to be a problem at all. Is it possible that the belt is just slipping and as a result isn't turning the pulleys the correct amount and that is directly attributing to my loss in battery power? What do you guys think? I'm really in no position to go spending lots of money trying to replace pulleys and what not, but at the same time I don't want to replace the belt if that surely isn't the problem. I have read several threads on here regarding similar problems and was curios about the gatorback belts. Should I perhaps try one of these belts first to see if it solves my problem, or do you think it's one of the pulleys? In advance, thanks for all the help everyone!
Last spring, i had some noise in my 98 then it threw the serp belt.
the fixed idler pulley grenaded on it.

You need to make 100% sure you have nothing leaking on the belt casuing
it to slip. Are you loosing coolant at all? Have you checked it? Is there
fresh oil leaking on the engine?

Its possible that your tensioner is not supplying enough back tension on
the serp belt.

You might want to go to harbor freight or such and get a mechanics stethoscope Then put the probe on each part of the belt system and
see if you can detect any abnormal sounds.

On thing that can happen on the charging side is there is a small switch
wire on the alternator that is controlled by the PCM that actually turns
the alternator on and off. If this connector losses tension, the intermittent
contact can cause apparent alternator charge issues even if the alternator
itself if is OK. YOu can get a replace plug and graft it on to the old wire
if needed. You can also wiggle it when you having issues to see if there
is any change.

one other issue to check. you mentioned rain. I don't know the history of the car. there is a splash shield under the radiator area which needs to be taken off during some maintenance operations. Is yours still on the car?
Bob Urz 1989 Vulcan wagon (wife crashed) 1990 Vulcan sedan (sold running) 1993 Vulcan sedan (wife crashed) 1993 Vulcan wagon (beat up like Battlestar Galactica, drove to junkyard on a sad day) 1997 Vulcan sedan (down with multiple coolant leaks), 1998 Vulcan sedan (rescued from being junked twice with broken brake lines and bad rack, currently resurrected)

If Spock drove a Taurus it would be a Vulcan
soundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement