How many drive cycles/miles after OBD reset to pass emission test? NO DATA - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2011, 10:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 19016
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
bighank has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Exclamation How many drive cycles/miles after OBD reset to pass emission test? NO DATA

Had P0103 misfire on cylinder 1. Reset OBD and drove 55 miles. Emission test said NO DATA. Not enough drive cycles/miles to read OBD data. How many cycles/miles driven do you need to get this data. Still have P0103 and misfire at idle after Coil, PCV and IAC replacement. What next?
bighank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2011, 12:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 4863
sfontain has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I don't know if there's a hard number. It can take over 100 miles, and I wouldn't be surprised if it needs 3 cycles.
sfontain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 36682
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: Sable LS Premium '03 Sable LS '01 Sable LS '03 Wagon
chartmaker is a splendid one to beholdchartmaker is a splendid one to behold
Default cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighank View Post
Had P0103 misfire on cylinder 1. Reset OBD and drove 55 miles. Emission test said NO DATA. Not enough drive cycles/miles to read OBD data. How many cycles/miles driven do you need to get this data. Still have P0103 and misfire at idle after Coil, PCV and IAC replacement. What next?
By the book, makers do not state exact numbers but parameters.

Cold start to over 160 degrees count as one cycle. That count needs to be 21 to maybe 30 of them. My scanner has little circles with letters in them for various items that need to have been proven. After a clear, different ones light up after different number of drives. In NY you must have all of them OK or it will show "not ready" for inspection. Have to drive it week or so regular to get an OK or you get a new CEL.

For 7 years my Sable would set a CEL for excess EGR maybe once ever 2 to 6 weeks. So I would reset and get all the lights on OBD ok then get it inspected before it came back. Now I put a used DPFE on and no more lights. And thus my experience with clearing codes and getting the OK green light on my OBD reader. There are 8 of those symbols that have to be proven on my reader for my '01 DOHC.

Good Luck

-chart-
chartmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 19016
bighank has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Mine is a DOHC also. What does the computer consider as a cycle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartmaker View Post
By the book, makers do not state exact numbers but parameters.

Cold start to over 160 degrees count as one cycle. That count needs to be 21 to maybe 30 of them. My scanner has little circles with letters in them for various items that need to have been proven. After a clear, different ones light up after different number of drives. In NY you must have all of them OK or it will show "not ready" for inspection. Have to drive it week or so regular to get an OK or you get a new CEL.

For 7 years my Sable would set a CEL for excess EGR maybe once ever 2 to 6 weeks. So I would reset and get all the lights on OBD ok then get it inspected before it came back. Now I put a used DPFE on and no more lights. And thus my experience with clearing codes and getting the OK green light on my OBD reader. There are 8 of those symbols that have to be proven on my reader for my '01 DOHC.

Good Luck

-chart-
Had misfire codes on 1 and 3 cylinders before and when the car got wet.
Why I replaced the coil. Also had IAC code so after unsuccessful cleaning replaced that too. Plugs have only about 10K on them. Autolite Iridiums.
How long does the car have to be run to create a cycle? Do I need to start it and drive it for several miles 30 times? Still have a misfire on #1 cyl after replacing the coil. I'm not sure what to do next?!
bighank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 36682
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: Sable LS Premium '03 Sable LS '01 Sable LS '03 Wagon
chartmaker is a splendid one to beholdchartmaker is a splendid one to behold
Default Cycle Count

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighank View Post
Had misfire codes on 1 and 3 cylinders before and when the car got wet.
Why I replaced the coil. Also had IAC code so after unsuccessful cleaning replaced that too. Plugs have only about 10K on them. Autolite Iridiums.
How long does the car have to be run to create a cycle? Do I need to start it and drive it for several miles 30 times? Still have a misfire on #1 cyl after replacing the coil. I'm not sure what to do next?!
By my book with my OBD. Cycle is cold start to over 160 degrees. Distance not an issue. I do not remember what is "cold" but something like 80 deg F, coolant temp. Seems that by 160 the system is gone into closed loop and it counts this is one cycle.

So, driving it 100 miles is still one cycle, or 2 miles in warm weather, maybe 4 miles in cold weather.

-chart-
chartmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement