2002 Ford Taurus PCM wiring harness - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2011, 02:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 32568
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2002 Ford Taurus 3.0
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
dodgeram99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2002 Ford Taurus PCM wiring harness

For the past couple months I have been trying to narrow down electical problems that I have been having with my taurus. It seems as if the wiring harness that plugs into the PCM is bad. The Ford dealer near me is not able to get one, so I have started searching for one. I was told that the wiring harness has to specifically come from a 2002 Ford Taurus with a 3.0 (My car does not have the DOHC motor. They said that it would not match up with a taurus from any other year and that the PCM wiring harness in even a 2002 sable is different. They also told me that whatever car I found a wiring harness from should not have keyless entry because my car does not have that. Are the requirements that they told me correct? If they are, are there any other requirements that I need to know about? Also if anyone knows where I could get one or is willing to part with one it would be much appreciated. I'm located in central New Jersey.
dodgeram99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2011, 11:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 3136
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 1998 LX black Vulcan 1997 SE black Vulcan
soundu is on a distinguished road

What exactly is the electrical problem you are having?

as far as harnesses go, i got bit by that one already. Had a 96 motor put into my 97. The joker left the 96 harness on the engine. it all connected up, but my OBD2 would not scan and AC did not work. Turns out ford changes a few wires and grounds every year just to muck up your life if your swapping things around. In my case, i found the swapped wires and rewired the harness. Took TONS of time and printing out factory manual schematics to be able to figure it out
Bob Urz 1989 Vulcan wagon (wife crashed) 1990 Vulcan sedan (sold running) 1993 Vulcan sedan (wife crashed) 1993 Vulcan wagon (beat up like Battlestar Galactica, drove to junkyard on a sad day) 1997 Vulcan sedan (down with multiple coolant leaks), 1998 Vulcan sedan (rescued from being junked twice with broken brake lines and bad rack, currently resurrected)

If Spock drove a Taurus it would be a Vulcan
soundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Well here is a synopsis of whats happening. "I have been having trouble with my taurus approximately every two weeks, the car is a 2002 with around 45,000 miles. The car will usually start off by sort of shifting into neutral while driving and then it searches to get back into gear. While doing this the transaxle light will flicker and then the check engine light will come on. When the transaxle light flickers it seems like the air conditioning compressor also stops working. When I check the codes that come up, there are 21 codes every time this happens. It seems like pretty much all of the codes are for 5 volt reference sensors. I have already changed the coil pack which I thought may have been shocking the system. Once the codes are cleared in the car I can usually drive it around for about two weeks before this problem happens again. I have also taken the car on some longer drives without having this problem occur at all. This problem has happpened both with the engine warmed up and with the engine cold. I am not sure if this could be an ecm problem or a short in the wirirng harness."

Finally I gave in and sent the car to the Ford dealer near me. They checked the PCM and said that it was good. Then the technician started to try and chase the problem through the wiring harness. Well after a couple of hours of them working on the car and them not getting any farther ahead on the car I decided to take it back because the cost of labor is just too high. So now I guess my choices are probably to either change the harness or start searching through the harness to find the bad wire.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Don't Be Stupid

Member Number: 4508
Chapter: Southern
Drives: 2010 SEL 2000 Tec
Trader Score: 1 reviews
00tec-satx is on a distinguished road

Mine did something similar. I blew a fuse though. Check your connection at the fuse under the hood for the HEGO or HO2S circuit.

My tranny wouldn't shift, it ran like ass, and had lots of codes

00tec-satx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 40994
Drives: 2001 Ford Taurus SES 3.0soh
xxx01taurusgirlxxx is an unknown quantity at this point

having the same problems please help

XX-california
xxx01taurusgirlxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx01taurusgirlxxx View Post
having the same problems please help

XX-california
Here is what i would do. You might have a bad ground somewhere under the hood. What i would do first is remove the battery cables, clean the contacts, and re install. then find all the under hood grounds and remove them. clean then with light sandpaper and reinstall. Make sure to do it to the ground strap from the engine block. i replaced a ground strap on my car that looked suspicious and corroded.

also, pull the relays out and look for corrosion or overheating on the contacts. I had a relay like that on my 97 that took out the wipers.
Bob Urz 1989 Vulcan wagon (wife crashed) 1990 Vulcan sedan (sold running) 1993 Vulcan sedan (wife crashed) 1993 Vulcan wagon (beat up like Battlestar Galactica, drove to junkyard on a sad day) 1997 Vulcan sedan (down with multiple coolant leaks), 1998 Vulcan sedan (rescued from being junked twice with broken brake lines and bad rack, currently resurrected)

Old 08-17-2011, 10:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

I will check out the relays on the car. I have checked the grounds on the car and the battery connections. The other day I opened up the inspection covers on the wiring harness and I began trying to look for the problem. When I shook the wiring harness it sometimes caused the cars rpms to rise up. Then when I was moving the wiring harness on the right side of the air intake (the side near the transaxle) the car would not start again at all. It took me about seven tries to get the car to finally start up again. When looking inside of the harness I found that glue had melted onto about 6 of the wires and they were melted together. I seperated the six wires from each other. None of the wire casings seemed to have any damaged. The past two days I have been running the car to see if these glued wires were causing the problem, but yesterday the car acted up again with the transaxle light coming on. The only thing that I did notice is that when shaking the wiring harness now the rpms that the car is running at will not jump at all.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Devoted Member

It is possible it was a bad connection in the motor wire harness connector. On my 97, that was C130 connector on top of the trannie and bolted down. You might take that
connector apart and check for corrosion, and spray some contact cleaner on both sides of the contacts before re assembly. My favorite cleaner is made by Caig labs and called PRO GOLD. Its something you probably won't find at the auto parts store

If you can duplicate problems by wiggling, you need to try to narrow down what part of the cable is casuing issues. if you can hold certian parts of teh cable sationary while Wiggling others, you might find an area of trouble.

Once i tore down a 91 3.8 for parts scavenging. The car looked OK and i wondered why it was junked (other than the obvious head gasket and trannie)
Turns out the motor wire harness was cut and had exposed wires on its bottom side
This was something you could not see until you actually removed the harness.
I will bet it was intermittent and the car was junked because the mechanics could
not figure out what was wrong with it.

What i would also do, is do some end to end wire inspection. if you take the C130 motor wire harness apart, peal back the insulation tape a bit to see where the wires
go into the back side of the connector. Look closely for wires that look discolored
or melted. If you find some, its entirely possible that one wire out of many melted
inside of the wire harness and melted itself into other wires or even grounded itself
to the motor. If you do find this, you have a couple of options. You can track down
the one wire and bypass it with a new wire, or you can take the harness off and apart and put a new wire in it as well as inspect for other wire damage.
Ether that or get another wire harness.

You may be able to use other year wire harnesses with modifications. You would need
the factory manuals and print out the engine wire schematics and trace down every
pin on the motor wire harness for both years and change the wires as needed.
This is NOT a process for the feint of heart. I did it on my 97 and got it running.
but it took a TON of time frustration If you do this, stay with the same engine family
on the harness

I take it you did inspect the ground strap between the engine block and the firewall?
I had an issue with mine. It should have read close to 0- 1/2 ohm resistance and
it was reading much higher than than on my digital meter proving it had some sort
of clamping or corrosion issue with it. I got a used one that measured OK and fixed
some weird issues

If you do dive into harness wiring issues, try to find a multi year ford factory DVD on
ebay or such to be able to access all the wiring diagrams. It will take you awhile
to navigate to where they all are, but there all there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement