Trying to locate camshaft position sensor - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2011, 11:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 40466
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2005 3.0l v6 ohv
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
fortor05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trying to locate camshaft position sensor

Hi,

I've been reading on these forums for the last few days and they've been helpful. I've had the chirping noise that other threads have attributed to the camshaft position synchronizer & sensor. It was replaced yesterday with a balkamp camshaft synchronizer, but the chirping noise is still occurring. I want to now try and replace the sensor (probably should have started with that one, first) but I am having a hard time locating it.

I thought I found it yesterday but the replacement part is different than what was pulled out of the engine, and after some digging around I realized that what I thought was the camshaft position sensor was actually the crank position sensor.

So can anyone help me locate the camshaft position sensor?

The Ford has 94,000 miles on it

Thanks for all the help, these forums have been useful.
fortor05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2011, 12:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 35029
Drives: 1996 Sable LS, 3.0L V6 24V Duratec, AX4N GONE, RIP
SoNic67 has a spectacular aura about

SoNic67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2011, 12:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 10865
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sheila is a splendid one to beholdsheila is a splendid one to behold

Cmp (camshaft position sensor) bolts to the top of the camshaft synchronizer which sits in the old distributor hole under a wiring harness on the drivers side of the vulcan engine.
sheila is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2011, 01:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Wow, really? Because then that means that the camshaft sensor was replaced too because that's the part that came with the synchronizer.

This is the part that I was showed by a NAPA representative that is a camshaft sensor, so this is what I've been looking for:

THis is what I pulled out of my car thinking it was the camshaft sensor but later realized its the crankshaft sensor:

so now it appears as though the camshaft synchronizer & sensor HAVE been replaced, but the noise still persists. Could this mean that it wasn't installed correctly? I have noticed a slight improvement, but it still chirps.

Out of curiosity, do you think the crankshaft sensor could cause the chirping too?

Another issue I seem to be having now is that the check engine light is pulling through the p0171 & p0174 codes this morning.

(just for background information: for the last two month my car would have the "check engine" light soon on and off about every other week. Last month the chirping started. The last time I pulled the codes it was how I discovered this site and that it was the camshaft synchronizer. 2 weeks ago my MPG has decreased, but on my last 2 fill ups, it has gone back up to normal. So it's not consistent, just like the "check engine soon" light is not consistently on. So right now I'm only trying to focus on one thing at a time...)

Thanks a lot for you help!

Last edited by fortor05; 08-07-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 11378
Jeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond repute

That NAPA pic is NOT the CMP sensor for a Vulcan. Looks a little like the CMP for the Duratec.

On the Vulcan, the CMP is a seperate part from the shaft / syncro assy. You can replace one, the other, or both. If the "tang" in the new syncro assy isnt bent, broken, and is compatable with the new syncro shaft assy etc, the old sensor itself will not cause squeeking. The sensor itself has no moving parts.
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
02 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
Jeff K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2011, 02:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Devoted Member

That NAPA one is a Duratec sensor. For Vulcan should look similar with the below pic (syncronizer, sensor and alignment tool):

Last edited by SoNic67; 08-07-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 10865
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sheila is a splendid one to beholdsheila is a splendid one to behold

The recommendation here on the forum is to only use the oem motorcraft cam sync, esp. not the ill-fitting, poorly constructed dorman part. Iirc, balkamp is napas rebranded dorman part which could be (probably is) the cause of your continued squeak. As for the po171-174 codes, you have a vacuum leak(s) affecting both cylinder banks. For starters, i would check the pcv hose and clean the maf sensor with crc maf spray cleaner. You may have a vacuum diagram sticker affixed underhood to assist your search. Good luck. And yes, the napa pic is the cmp for the 3.0 duratec engine, you have the 3.0 vulcan.

Last edited by sheila; 08-07-2011 at 10:39 PM.
sheila is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2011, 07:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Okay thanks for the help, I appreciate it! A week later, the squeeking is still happening and just today the car isn't starting on first attempt. It has only happened 3 times today so I need to let the engine cool and try and figure things out from there.

I appreciate the input from all!
Old 08-13-2011, 09:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Keep in mind that if the syncronizer shaft pin fails, you loose instantly the oil pressure. That could be the end of that engine (in several seconds of normal driving).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.