Mercon V vs. Lucas vs. SeaFoam - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2011, 02:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 31766
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2002 Ford Taurus SE, 3.0 V6
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
mlochala is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mercon V vs. Lucas vs. SeaFoam

The only ATF I've ever used in my Taurus is Mercon V, which is the recommended ATF. However, on occasion, I have used Lucas Transmission Fix with mixed results. And, although I've never used it, I've had two different mechanics highly recommend using Seafoam as an additive to help with sticking valves and such.

Are either of these additives harmful to the transmission? And, if it is so critical to use ONLY Mercon V in my transmission, will using either of these additives change the viscosity (or any other characteristic) of the Mercon V in such a way to render it harmful?

On a side note, if someone did use an ATF other than Mercon V in their tranny, what would be the result? Would it be destructive or just make it perform differently? Bear in mind, my tranny is long out of warranty and I fully realize what the required ATF is for my car. I'm just asking out of curiosity.
mlochala is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2011, 02:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 35327
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2007 sel
Trader Score: 2 reviews
Bigdogg2830 is a jewel in the rough

this will start a war im sure. i am a firm believer in using factory fluids. i had an old 4 speed dodge that if you used a different fluid it would cause trans failure. i learned my lesson with that one. if the fluid is to thick then the pump has a hard time moving the fluid and will not lube properly, to thin then the pressure increases and may blow seals that are weak.
Bigdogg2830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
WJC
Devoted Member

Member Number: 16719
WJC has a spectacular aura about

Lucas oil is really great for building NFL stadiums. But I sure as hell wouldn't put any of that cold monkey snot rancid molasses crap in any of my cars.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 889
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 94 Taurus GL 3.8L PEP204A 99 Ranger 4.0L 4dr 5spd auto Payload & Tow pkg
pawpaw is a jewel in the rough

I've used half a can of SeaFoam Trans Tune briefly, in my 94 Taurus AXODE & 99 Rangers 5R55E tranny & both P/S systems, to relieve hanging shifts in the tranny & off center shudder in the P/S systems, for a few days to a few weeks, just long enough for the symptoms to clear, then did a pan drop, filter change & full fluid pump out on the tranny & P/S systems.

I wouldn't use top treatments for extended peroids, as they might upset the tranny fluids carefully balanced ad pack synergy. A quality licensed tranny fluid doesn't need a top treatment to do it's thing.

My problems apparently were light sludge, gum, or varnish deposits, even though I've serviced the tranny to Fords severe service call outs, with the specified Motorcraft Mercon, or Mercon-V fluids & filters, so the Trans Tune's use was targeted for a specific purpose & used briefly, it worked, so I surmised I had light deposit problems. The Seafoam Trans Tune is just a detergent cleaner upper, no stop leak, seal swell agents, or other components that would settle out, or clog things up, or get after "O" ring seals, gaskets, plastic, or metal parts. It's 40-60% pale oil, 25-35% naphtha, 10-20% IPA.

If your not having any shifting problems, no need to use it, or any other top treatment imo.

Details are trifles, but trifles make perfection & perfection is no trifle (Ben Franklin)
Our signature is a sign of a job completed, autograph your work with excellence.
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 12182
Drives: a Taurus
danhasenauer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJC View Post
Lucas oil is really great for building NFL stadiums. But I sure as hell wouldn't put any of that cold monkey snot rancid molasses crap in any of my cars.
Aww, c'mon, tell us how you really feel about Lucas....

'96 LX DOHC Moonlight Blue
Every option but the car phone
RIP 'Ol Blue - 09/2012
danhasenauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 17456
Chapter: West Coast
Drives: 1992 Ford Taurus LX 3.8L 237k hard driven miles.
ericf is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd be happy to tell you about Lucas.
it's the original snake oil.
It's nothing more than a thickening agent with no chemistry to help anything.
It relies on thickening to stop leaks, the theory is the thicker the oil, the less likely a leak. Wrong answer!
the only truth on their labels is 100% petroleum. It is. there's no chemistry added to help seals or detergents to help clean.
You don't want a thick ATF, you want it to be able to flow.
thickened ATF can't flow through the solenoids all to well.

the seafoam trans tune is nothing more than a stronger version of regular Seafoam, with a red dye. It does work and does what it says it does.
I usually add it about 500 miles before I'm going to do my trans service. Give it some time to break up sludge & dirt. I use it for my p/s pump and rack as well.
It is safe to leave the trans tune in full time, it will dissipate over time anyway.

I have nothing good to say about Lucas and go out of my way to talk people out of all of their products, especially the fuel treatment.. it's nothing more than lightweight machine oil. it lubricates.. doesn't do a whole lot for cleaning injectors.

The ONLY additive that I've ever used that works in a transmission is:

Lubegard Red (bottle).

my ever so slipping 1992 Taurs tranny with the axod-e, grips, shifts smooth and climbs hills like it's new, this is a tranny with 223k, never been rebuilt.
ericf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member Number: 31766
Drives: 2002 Ford Taurus SE, 3.0 V6
mlochala is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, thanks for the replies! I appreciate each of your responses.

After reading back over the thread, including my original post, I should add that my use of Lucas has very limited. From the way I worded it originally, you might get the idea that I used it as a substitute. I did not! LOL!

I was under the impression that Lucas was somewhat of a miracle cure, but I've never been very sure if has helped my car at all. Now, I don't think I will use it any more.
mlochala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 10865
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sheila is a glorious beacon of lightsheila is a glorious beacon of light

Dan, Lucas Oil is in the process of contacting WJC to become its new multi-million dollar ad spokesperson, lol!!!
sheila is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 10865
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sheila is a glorious beacon of lightsheila is a glorious beacon of light

............negotiations ongoing........ update at 10 pm.
sheila is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
WJC
Devoted Member

Member Number: 16719
WJC has a spectacular aura about

I've seen people buy a quart of that stuff and dump it in late model VVT DOHC engines to cure an oil leak. May as well pour sand in the crankcase. I'm getting so cynical.
Advertisement