2004 Vulcan P0171/P0174 after new o2s, sparks, wires, intake mani, cats, pcv - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2011, 04:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 32470
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2004 Ford Taurus 3.0L Vulcan
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
PhilKenSebben is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2004 Vulcan P0171/P0174 after new o2s, sparks, wires, intake mani, cats, pcv

I have a 2004 Taurus SE w/ a Vulcan engine( w 100k miles and health problems).
From all my research p0171 and p0174 are fairly common on the Duratec, but i cant find a lot of infos on Vulcans with this problem. My car was running like a real piece of crap last winter, turns out i drove it with lean codes for tooooo long. The first thing i did was change all four o2 sensors, with no luck. Next i changed the spark plugs and wires figuring that 100k was probably about time. No luck from that either! Next was the PCV valve, still no luck. It really started misfiring, so i took in into the shop and they said i had fried my cats, so i replaced all 3 cats and cleaned out the exhaust. Good results it ran about 50% better than it did previously, (and sounded better too!) but still wasnt quite firing perfectly.
I took it into a muffler shop to check my exhaust out and make sure i hadnt screwed anything up and they did a diagnostic with a smoke machine and discovered i had a cracked intake manifold. I replaced that piece as well, reluctantly, but it really made a big difference and gave me another 45% increase in performance... that puts me at 95%!
so its running quite well now but i am still getting a CEL and it is throwing codes P0171 AND P0174, which the guy suggested could be related to the MAF sensor or the IAC. I had pulled the MAF previously and it looks fine, there is no gunk on it, i cleaned it with MAF cleaner just to be sure but didnt notice a change. The IAC looks fine too, no gunk, it moves freely.
I guess my initial question is, can i take my car somewhere to test the MAF sensor?? I believe that previously a mechanic told me he had taken the MAF "out of the loop" and it hadnt made a difference, but he told me some other wacky stuff too so im reluctant to rely on his word.
My next question would be, If the MAF is truly fine, what could my next step be? Could driving on a lean condition have gunked up some other part that i havent yet cleaned or replaced?? Thanks for any suggestions, and for reading this lengthy post. Frustrating!
PhilKenSebben is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2011, 10:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 17509
austex04 is an unknown quantity at this point

Check the o-ring seal around the idle air control valve, it's the round part mounted on the upper plastic intake on the pass side, near the firewall, and has a connector with 2 wires going to it. There's a long post about this on the topic finder, ('04+ Vulcan engine, poor start, poor acceleration). You can use a oil filter gasket to replace that seal. You can check if it's leaking by spraying starting fluid on it while the engine is at idle, but do this when the engine is cold and not hot, and wipe off excess with a rag. If it's leaking, the idle should change when it sucks in the starting fluid, you could probably hear it hissing if it's really leaking. Another thing to check is the pcv valve and hose for cracks/breaks.
austex04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 10865
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sheila is a glorious beacon of lightsheila is a glorious beacon of light

When you cleaned the maf sensor, did you spray the 2 small fine filament wires with crc mass air flow cleaner (gray can)? Po171-174 is telling you eng. has vacuum leak(s) affecting both banks. Check what austex04 suggested above for starters.
sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 28289
Chapter: West Coast
Drives: 1996 Ford Taurus LX Wagon
KhanTyranitar has a spectacular aura about

So what would affect both banks, all vacuum leaks will affect both banks, as will any leaks where the upper manifold meets the lower manifold. The lower manifold can leak too, and can affect bot banks, but will affect one more strongly than the other, and may sometimes only set one code. There are also gaskets between the manifold and throttle body, and between the IAC and throttle body, and between the EGR and manifold, and any leaks at any of these locations can cause a problem.

They can check with a smoke machine again. May reveal something that did not show up the first time.

I have seen vacuum reservours crack open, and a ruptured diaphragm in the power brakes can cause a lean code.

KhanTyranitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 11378
Jeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond repute

Did you use the Motorcaft PCV designed for you engine or some cheap no name junk from the discount parts store? What shape was the PCV hose in?
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
02 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
Jeff K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 10865
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sheila is a glorious beacon of lightsheila is a glorious beacon of light

Po171 = lean bank#1. Po174 = lean bank#2. Its possible to have only one of these codes rear its ugly head.
sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member Number: 32470
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2004 Ford Taurus 3.0L Vulcan
PhilKenSebben is an unknown quantity at this point

97LX makin me feel bad... haha. The Intake mani was actually cracked and my cats WERE totally destroyed, charcoal rattling around inside, so i dont feel like the work i have done was for nothing, each part ive replaced has needed replacing.
Jeff K, i got the exact piece, the ONLY $20 PCV valve in existence(sigh). So no worries there.
Sheila, i am sure i sprayed some filaments with MAF cleaner, i basicaly got everything i could see well hosed down.. did i fry something?
and Khan, thanks for the suggestions, i will run through the whole intake and check gaskets again, i think im going to end up having them run another diag. with the smoke, that seems like my best bet.
Could this be a fuel pressure problem? correct me if im wrong but lean is too much air, too little fuel, so could the problem be the inverse, fuel pump problems? or would that trigger a diff code.
Thanks everyone for your input, this site alone has saved me at least $1000 during this whole process!!!
PhilKenSebben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 28289
Chapter: West Coast
Drives: 1996 Ford Taurus LX Wagon
KhanTyranitar has a spectacular aura about

It can absolutely be a fuel pump problem. Can be measured in two ways with a scan tool.

If your LTFT is higher at idle, then drops to a lower value as the throttle is opened, that points to a vacuum leak. If while driving the vehicle, the LTFT increased as speed and load increases, the fuel delivery may be to blame.

KhanTyranitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member Number: 44040
Drives: 2004 sable vulcan v6
deardancer3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default More idle Air control motor data

First post;
since you all helped me get to the solution, thought i would share.

Po300 171 174 trouble codes here on my recently purchased 2004 sable/vulcan 80k miles. Other symptoms similar to others above.

A smoke test showed a competeley broken Idle air control motor leaking smoke everywhere.

new IAC motor fixed problem.

now on to the rear spring suspension problem, SAS.

D in Colorado
deardancer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:16 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member Number: 17094
Drives: 1999 Taurus SE Duratec
Scout1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I would try the smoke test again. The EVAPS sytem can also cause the 171 and 174 codes. If the smoke test determines that you have no leaks then back to a fuel delivery problem. Easy to check fuel pressure. Pull vacuum line off fuel pressure regulator and look and smell for fuel. When did you change your fuel filter?

Ed
Scout1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement