Motor in driver's side seat is dead - is there *ANY* way to move it forward? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2011, 03:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 35588
Chapter: West Coast
Drives: '98 Taurus SE, Duratec V6
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
DN101 will become famous soon enough
Default Motor in driver's side seat is dead - is there *ANY* way to move it forward?

Basically, I'm trying to remove my center console. The thing is held to the floor by two bolts on each side, normally hidden by the seat positioning.

My passenger seat is not power, so I was able to move it around well enough to get to the two bolts on that side. The driver's side, however...

Upon seeing that, with my tools anyways, there was no way I could reach the two driver's side console bolts without moving the driver's seat, I decided to just temporarily remove the seat.

I got the floor covers off of the front two bolts for the seat and removed them easily enough, but because the seat is all the way back I can't reach the two bolts holding down the rear of the seat. Again - not with my current tools, anyways.

Is there any way I can manually move the seat forward?

That said, I find it odd the vertical adjustments for the seat work fine...

Much thanks again people. :-)
DN101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2011, 07:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 36682
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: Sable LS Premium '03 Sable LS '01 Sable LS '03 Wagon
chartmaker is a splendid one to beholdchartmaker is a splendid one to behold
Default Power Seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DN101 View Post
Basically, I'm trying to remove my center console. The thing is held to the floor by two bolts on each side, normally hidden by the seat positioning.

My passenger seat is not power, so I was able to move it around well enough to get to the two bolts on that side. The driver's side, however...

Upon seeing that, with my tools anyways, there was no way I could reach the two driver's side console bolts without moving the driver's seat, I decided to just temporarily remove the seat.

I got the floor covers off of the front two bolts for the seat and removed them easily enough, but because the seat is all the way back I can't reach the two bolts holding down the rear of the seat. Again - not with my current tools, anyways.

Is there any way I can manually move the seat forward?

That said, I find it odd the vertical adjustments for the seat work fine...

Much thanks again people. :-)
My Lincoln seat went all the way back and would not move. Under warrenty. Shop said they had to remove seat as they could not reach the connector to hot wire the motor. They were able to remove the seat with it all the way back. I think they raised the rear all the way up.

Failure was the relay which was under the seat on that one. They said, if they could get it forward, they could replace the relay with the seat in the car. Catch 22.

-chart-
chartmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 10865
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sheila is a glorious beacon of lightsheila is a glorious beacon of light

Have you tried sitting in the seat with the travel switch pushed forward and manually tried to hunch seat forward? Or, again with the switch pressed forward, you or a friend push from the footwell directly behind the seat. Put a shoulder and forearm into it like a football blocking drill, lol!
sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 35588
Chapter: West Coast
Drives: '98 Taurus SE, Duratec V6
DN101 will become famous soon enough

Well, when I push the switch forward or backward I just get a continuous mechanical clicking sound. Last night I did try with some level of force to move the seat while on the switch, but not that much.

I'll try to sit in the back myself and, hand on the switch, trying forcing the seat forward.

I wouldn't mind actually fixing the seat motor itself while I'm at this. Too bad I don't know what the exact problem is...
DN101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 1771
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 00 SEL Sedan DOHC
Trader Score: 7 reviews
Bull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bull Geek Send a message via MSN to Bull Geek

Get some solid non metal object and wack the motor while pushing the button and assisting the seat to move in the direction you wish (ie pulling on the steering wheel and digging heels into carpet; or pushing away from wheel).

I helped rejuvinate an Infiniti's I30 power seat motor doing that. Same principle as slamming the door while holding power up/down button on a window in a Taurus to get it to 'unstick' from it's stuck position.

-True Blue MC 2003 Lincoln Town Car | V8 SOHC/4R70W | 55K
-Silver Frost MC 2000 Ford Taurus SEL | V6 DOHC/AX4N | 198K
--Wood paneled 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | V8 OHV/AOD | 180K ish?
--Ugly Colored 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park wagon | V8 OHV/AOD | 303K miles!
Former...
'87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan
Bull Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 35327
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2007 sel
Trader Score: 2 reviews
Bigdogg2830 is a jewel in the rough

should be a screwdrive system. remove motor and twist the rod till you get it far enough up
Bigdogg2830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement