CCRM keeps Failing and PCM 30 AMP fuse keeps blowing - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2011, 12:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 31048
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 1993 Ford Taurus 3.8 engine
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
gary11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CCRM keeps Failing and PCM 30 AMP fuse keeps blowing

On a 1993 Taurus 3.8 engine the CCRM (Constant Control Relay Module) keeps failing and the PCM 30AMP fuse keeps blowing. In all, I have replaced the CCRM with a used one three times and the 30AMP PCM fuse has blown three times. The trouble probably started when the cooling fan would not run. As a result, my sister-in-laws boyfriend connected the fan's hot wire to the red hot wire going to Pin 24 (PCM) in the CCRM and spliced a ground wire into the fan's ground wire (black) and connected the ground wire to the frame above the radiator. This was done about a year ago and I have left it wired like that until the most recent CCRM was replaced. Then, about 6 months ago the car would not start. I replaced the CCRM (the fuse had not blown) with a used one from the wrecking yard and the car ran that way until about 4 weeks ago. At which time the engine would not start. At which time, my sister-in-laws boyfriend replaced the CCRM but the car still would not start. I was out of town until about a week ago at which time I replaced the fuse and the car ran for about a day and the fuse blew again. I replaced the fuse again, but the car would not start. So, I replaced the CCRM with a used one and the car ran that way for a couple of days. At which time the fuse blew again. I replaced the fuse with a new one, but the car would not start. Again, it was obvious that the CCRM was out because the fuse had blown and the fuse was replaced but the fuse did not blow. A friend told me the problem was probably created when the brother-in-law wired the fan (which when wired properly is in a 60AMP circuit) into the PCM 30AMP circuit. Therefore, the fan eventuallly caused the CCRM to overheat and fail and either the fuse blew out concurrently with the CCRM or was caused to blow by the failure of the CCRM. Therefore, I disconnected the fan so it would not cause the CCRM to fail and installed another used CCRM I obtained at the wrecking yard. I made sure I installed the same model CCRM as was originally in the car. The engine started, but when I began to accelerate the engine died. I started it a second time and it died again. When I tried a third time it would not start. I checked the fuse and it had not blown this time. However, I know it is the CCRM again because I checked and there is no current getting to the fuel pump or the spark plugs. Any suggestions as to how to proceed to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by gary11; 03-06-2011 at 03:28 AM.
gary11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2011, 08:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 11378
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Jeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond repute

To state the obviious, you need to find the cause of the excessive current draw that is blowing the fuse and overheating the relay in the CCRM.
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
02 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
Jeff K is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement