Advice to replace A/C Compressor 2004 Vulcan - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2011, 03:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 14433
Drives: 2004 SE Vulcan 157,000
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
JayKay has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Advice to replace A/C Compressor 2004 Vulcan

Can anyone recommend a good reference manual with step-by-step instructions and photographs to change out the A/C Compressor on a 2004 Taurus with Vulcan engine?

I searched the archives and although there is some information there, it's not step by step.

Also sounds like a lot of work. Are there any shortcuts or simplifying steps.

Any recommendations for source for parts and tools also appreciated.

PS: If you notice a pool of oil under the compressor and tell your wife not to run the A/C, make sure to tell her not to run the defrost either. This way you might avoid a seized compressor like mine.
Even better, disconnect the compressor.
JayKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2011, 05:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 34587
Chapter: Pacific Northwest
Drives: 2003 SES OHV V6 Flex Fuel 140k
Alex_white8706 is an unknown quantity at this point

Removal

Deliver to EPA approved air conditioning facility to remove refrigerant.

Disconnect the negative battery cable using the proper sized wrench.

Remove the right side cooling fan by disconnecting the electrical connector hooked to the fan. Remove the fan clips that hold the wiring harness, you can do this by pulling with your hands. Remove the fan assembly bolt using a ratchet and the correct sized socket.

Remove the power steering hose from the pump using the correct wrench. Remove the power steering hose nut using a ratchet and the correct size socket. Remove the manifold for the refrigerant by removing the mounting bolt with a ratchet and correct size socket.

Disconnect the refrigerant lines using the correct size wrench. Disconnect all electrical connectors from the pressure cut off switch as well as the compressor clutch by pressing the release tab on the connectors and pulling.

Remove the wiring harness from the compressor. Remove the mounting bolts for the compressor with a ratchet and the correct size socket. Lift the compressor from the bracket. Draining all refrigerant out of the compressor and into a measuring container.

Installation

Drain all oil in new compressor into a new measuring container. Check to see if the old compressor oil amount was three ounces or less if so the new compressor should receive six ounces of new compressor oil. If the old compressor oil amount was more than five ounces then add that amount shown to the new compressor.

Set new compressor into mounting bracket and install mounting bolts using ratchet and correct socket.

Reinstall wiring harness into compressor bracket by pushing tabs into the holes. Reconnect all electrical connectors to compressor.

Reinstall refrigerant manifold and bolts using ratchet and correct size socket. Reinstall manifold lines using correct sized wrench.

Reinstall the power steering hose and mounting nut using the correct size wrench. Reinstall the fan assembly and bolts using the correct sized ratchet and socket. Reinstall wiring harness and mounting clips by pressing clips back into tabs.

Reinstall fan electrical connector. Reinstall negative battery cable using correct sized wrench.

Take the car to EPA approved air conditioning shop to have system recharged.

Sorry no pics..

EDIT: When replacing the air conditioning compressor it is also recommended to replace the accumulator-drier as well.

Last edited by Alex_white8706; 03-04-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Alex_white8706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 10865
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sheila is a glorious beacon of lightsheila is a glorious beacon of light

^ And orifice tube.
sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 8024
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2006 SE Flex Fuel 75k
paker has a spectacular aura about

If you send me your email address, I will take illustrations of the manual (several pages) and email them to you.

"PS: If you notice a pool of oil under the compressor and tell your wife not to run the A/C, make sure to tell her not to run the defrost either. This way you might avoid a seized compressor like mine.
Even better, disconnect the compressor"

I can share the pain. But it makes me smile.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 14433
Drives: 2004 SE Vulcan 157,000
JayKay has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Thank you for these posts. The process looks straight-forward, I think one of the decriptions I read in the archives may have been a DOHC model which sounded a lot more difficult.
The only thing I need to get familiar with now are the "quick disconnect" couplings which I have not dealt with before on an A/C system.
Appreciate the help. John aka JayKay
JayKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement