Mysterious Coolant Leak - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2011, 07:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 11645
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 2002 Taurus SEL S/W (Vulcan)
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
tom9489 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Mysterious Coolant Leak

I have a 2002 Vulcan with 140,000 miles. It has developed a coolant leak that I can't seem to find. It is in the vacinity of the water pump, but when I go looking for the leak, I don't see any evidence on or around the pump. I've been putting a drip pan under the car at night and some times I get some coolant in the pan and other times I don't get any coolant. The other day my son was driving the car when enough coolant escaped to cause the serpentine belt to slip. Unfortunately, my son has a 35 mile one-way commute to work and by the time I could examine the car, I couldn't find any leak. The only coolant I found was a very small amount on the connector for the crankshaft sensor and on the coolant hose going to the top of the expansion tank.

The water pump is the original and I have Bars Leak tablets in the cooling system.

Any thoughts as to the leak?

1992 Gen 2 Vulcan (sold at 232,000)
2002 Gen 4 Vulcan 200,000
2002 Chev Suburban 151,000
1981 Mercedes 300SD 286,000
1982 Mercedes 300SD 305,000
tom9489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2011, 08:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
'MT5 Plus' Wagon Builder

Member Number: 10385
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 87twagon 96taurus 99sable. 00twagon. 01taurus 04taurus
major will become famous soon enough

Check the expansion tank for a crack. That's what it sounds like to me.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 11378
Jeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond reputeJeff K has a reputation beyond repute

^^^^^ +1!
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
02 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
Jeff K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 18227
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 1999 Taurus SE 3.0 Vulcan
901-Memphis has a little shameless behaviour in the past

The degauss tanks are known to fail often, even more so for the Dorman replacements you will get from all the auto parts stores. I just replaced mine within the last year and my coolant leaks went away and now i have full pressure in my system again.

If you do go replacing the degauss tank make sure to get a Motorcraft from the dealer as they will save you in the long run because they will last as long as 3-4 Dorman tanks.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 34587
Chapter: Pacific Northwest
Drives: 2003 SES OHV V6 Flex Fuel 140k
Alex_white8706 is an unknown quantity at this point

Instead of making a new post with the same problem ill add onto this one. My leak is somewhere in front of the front right tire by the headlight. It only seems to leak after ive drove the car around for a little while and then just let it sit. I took my taurus to a mechanic for a pressure test and after 30 minutes the only lost half a psi and they said one small drip from the water pump. Now im going to replace the water pump soon anyways after 123k miles it hasnt been replaced and i think thats why im not getting any heat inside. But anyways when i check the coolant when its cold its only a few inches above the bottom of the tank but when i check the coolant when the engine is still warm the coolant is near the top in the recommend zone for when the engine and coolant should be cold. Could it be the tank also?
Alex_white8706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cake monster

Member Number: 18214
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: none right now
JW657 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_white8706 View Post
Instead of making a new post with the same problem ill add onto this one. My leak is somewhere in front of the front right tire by the headlight. It only seems to leak after ive drove the car around for a little while and then just let it sit. I took my taurus to a mechanic for a pressure test and after 30 minutes the only lost half a psi and they said one small drip from the water pump. Now im going to replace the water pump soon anyways after 123k miles it hasnt been replaced and i think thats why im not getting any heat inside. But anyways when i check the coolant when its cold its only a few inches above the bottom of the tank but when i check the coolant when the engine is still warm the coolant is near the top in the recommend zone for when the engine and coolant should be cold. Could it be the tank also?
You likely have a clogged heater core. The tank might be leaking, I would check the bottom of it for cracks, if you live in the rust belt, I would consider drilling the nut off that goes over the tire, the sheet metal won't stop it from turning while you loosen it. Replace the bolt. The water pumps tend to rot their impellers off, so that's another possible reason for the lack of heat, though the rotten impeller bits usually end up plugging the heater core.

There's also several hoses that go around that area, including the lower rad hose. You might want to consider checking the back plumbing for the heater core as well, it's made of steel and tends to rust out and cause slow leaks.

JW657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW657 View Post
You likely have a clogged heater core. The tank might be leaking, I would check the bottom of it for cracks, if you live in the rust belt, I would consider drilling the nut off that goes over the tire, the sheet metal won't stop it from turning while you loosen it. Replace the bolt. The water pumps tend to rot their impellers off, so that's another possible reason for the lack of heat, though the rotten impeller bits usually end up plugging the heater core.

There's also several hoses that go around that area, including the lower rad hose. You might want to consider checking the back plumbing for the heater core as well, it's made of steel and tends to rust out and cause slow leaks.
I just replaced the heater core no more than a month ago. the one old wasnt clogged which lead me the think it was the water pump losing its impellers and not pumping enough coolant to the heater core. cause i do get some heat, but not much.

I checked the hoses when i replaced my core and they all seemed fine. ill check the tank and the lower radiator hose but if the leak was coming from one of those wouldn't the pressure test fail?
Old 03-02-2011, 07:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 10865
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sheila is a glorious beacon of lightsheila is a glorious beacon of light

^ First thought i had when you described your leak location was water pump.
sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheila View Post
^ First thought i had when you described your leak location was water pump.
Thats what im thinking.. which is something i know i can replace myself. i just hope its not the timing cover gasket..
Old 03-03-2011, 07:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member Number: 34108
Chapter: West Coast
Drives: 1997 3.0L OHV
huntrm47 is an unknown quantity at this point

haha so many of us have coolant leaks. Mines due to a bad freeze plug though. now i have to figure out how to change that, but it doesnt look too hard. so, i guess if you cant find the leak, make sure you check your freeze plugs? thats the only advice ive got.
huntrm47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement